Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 10:58   #1

Boat: 89 BumbleBee 17', 26' Galaxy Aft Cabin
Boats for Tall Sailors?

This is my first post in here with the big boys and girls so take it easy on me ! I have been researching boats for a couple of years now in anticipation of our goal of selling it all and sailing away for awhile if not for good. I have had a hard time finding specs on headroom on a lot of boats so I am looking to you guys and gals for some input on this.

I am 6'5" and my wife is 5'12" we are looking at a capable cruising boat to live aboard and take us anywhere we desire to go. Any advice on any boat will be appreciated, I am a chef by trade so galley height and size are of somewhat importance. Thanks for this forum !
JustDave45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:08   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome Dave
If your looking for something used there has been some information on this forum about Challenger Yachts...

I'm sure there are plenty others but what I read on this brand really stuck in my head as being very large for there size....especially the head room.

One of my friends on this forum is Christian Van H and he seems to have a great deal of information about them...also has one.

Good luck.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:26   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Dave,

Try the following site:

Headroom - Google Search
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:35   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'day 30 "Waverider III"
Send a message via Skype™ to waverider
Hi Dave

I am not sure what brand of boat is best for you. However, you might want to look at a pilot house boat. Lots of head room and usually helm stations (inside and out). There is no doubt that a pilot house boat offers more luxuary in cold wet weather.

Good Luck and Live your dream,

Todd
waverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:52   #5
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Had the same problem (to some extent - I'm 6' 6"). MOST boats listed, if their headroom is unusual (ie over about 6' 3"), they will mention it. If it doesn't mention it, you can presume a standard height for the size of the boat.

I looked at: Endeavours, Whitbys, Morgans, and some newer Catalinas, Barvarias (but couldn't afford the newer ones).

Good luck.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 13:00   #6

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
I have a 6'8" friend who's on a Catamaran. Might be easier for galley work as well. So, as much as this is killing me, you might want to look at some Cats.

Sigh...
Old 07-01-2009, 13:04   #7

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDave45 View Post
This is my first post in here with the big boys and girls so take it easy on me ! I have been researching boats for a couple of years now in anticipation of our goal of selling it all and sailing away for awhile if not for good. I have had a hard time finding specs on headroom on a lot of boats so I am looking to you guys and gals for some input on this.

I am 6'5" and my wife is 5'12" we are looking at a capable cruising boat to live aboard and take us anywhere we desire to go. Any advice on any boat will be appreciated, I am a chef by trade so galley height and size are of somewhat importance. Thanks for this forum !
It's not to hard to find a sailboat with 6' 4" headroom. More than that may put you in a 44+' boat.

I am 6'4" so I know how you feel. Most boats are just not built for tall people. My Passport 45 had 6' 8" headroom everywhere but the walk-through to the aft-cabin. That had 6' head-room but that was OK.

The other problem is the bunks tend to be short. Our settee was 6' 2" long and that was my sea berth. Our aft-cabin bunk was 7' long, 9' wide at the head and 4' wide at the foot. The bunks in the v-birth were only 6'. We had an additional forward bunk (just aft of the v-birth) that was just under 6'.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 13:30   #8
Han

Boat: Orca 38
A similar discussion which might be helpful:

Living Aboard Forums: Height Issues
Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 14:46   #9

Well thanks for the all the info so far, its good to know there are some tall folk out there, where do you find shirts with long enough sleeves ? Just kidding...
Old 07-01-2009, 15:14   #10

Quote:
Well thanks for the all the info so far, its good to know there are some tall folk out there, where do you find shirts with long enough sleeves ? Just kidding...
Once you buy your sailboat, you won't need 'em.
Old 07-01-2009, 19:32   #11

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
At sea I find that I don't mind a slightly low cabin top. I used to brace my head against the roof while cooking on a tuna boat. It left both hands free to do the cooking in rough weather. Short bunks are another matter. You may have to cut a hole in a bulkhead to get the length.
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:40   #12

I can see the benefits of 'head bracing' while under way but I would imagine I will be spending way more time in the galley while on the hook than heeled over plying the seven seas

Wonderful info so far that helps a lot, but let me ask if anyone has some experience with any of our three 'dream-boats' :

Outbound 52
Passport 515CC
Island Packet 485

The IP lists the headroom at 6'5" but where is that measured from ?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:09   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I'm 6'5" and I have no problem on my boat.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:47   #14
cruiser

If the Passpoort is really on your short list I can give you headroom figures. Generally with new designs in that size range I aim for 6'9" headroom.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:04   #15

Quote:
I can see the benefits of 'head bracing' while under way but I would imagine I will be spending way more time in the galley while on the hook than heeled over plying the seven seas

Wonderful info so far that helps a lot, but let me ask if anyone has some experience with any of our three 'dream-boats' :

Outbound 52
Passport 515CC
Island Packet 485

The IP lists the headroom at 6'5" but where is that measured from ?
That's a very good question. I think that you will find that the advertised headroom is the max headroom on the vessel. That could be anywhere.

My Passport had 6' 8" throughout the main salon and galley but about 6' 4" in the fore and aft cabins. About 6'2" in both heads and the shower.

The reality is, the most walking around that I did was in the main salon & galley area. However, I can't stress enough that bunk length is an important factor.

Also the dinette and settee (with lee-cloths) may well be your sea berths (it was ours). The aft and fore-cabin were too far away from the companion way to sleep at sea and the center of the boat has the most comfortable motion out at sea. As you well know, it is important to be able to stretch out once in a while and frustrating when your head is pressed up against a bulkhead.

On our Columbia 36, my sea berth was on the cabin sole. It was the only place that I had enough stretching room and it was very comfortable there. Besides....it's pretty hard to fall off of the floor and it offered a peaceful sleep.