Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2017, 14:02   #16

Boat: Caliber 47
Re: Boats 40 to 50 ft with comfortable sleeping area.

420 IP if you shop hard!
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 14:40   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
best sleeping spot ive ever found is in a hammock strung from mast to forestay....u wont beat it...a bug net when needed and sleep like a baby.
Ever tried that in a rolly anchorage?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 16:07   #18

Boat: Freedom 45

we have a freedom 45 cc with a centerline queen there are a couple for sale in your price
seaman-lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 19:19   #19

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.

Hi All. I'm not experienced with the vessels requested here, pardon me. I also don't want to distract the dialogue, but I do fully support the hammock as a way to be at good slumber with the natural motion of any vessel. It is very old school historic traditional and it works just as well today. Best wishes. A
Old 12-01-2017, 23:02   #20

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
The list so far includes:
-Catalina 42
-Hunter 46
-Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 452
-Jeanneau Grand Soleil 463

Others mentioned are way over budget or centre cockpit. That's a pretty short list for a feature that would pretty high on many people's priority list. I was very disappointed when the Beneteau 43 came out with its skimpy little V berth as there are now many of these available in the Caribbean.
The Grand Soleil 45 seems to have a decent aft cabin, which I would prefer: GRAND SOLEIL 45 (FRERS) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 18:51   #21

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

Arguably we spend 30% of our time in the berth and yet very few boats provide a comfortable one. Why are so many sailors willing to accept berths in our expensive boats that are worse than the British navy supplied 200 years ago?

I will keep looking and update the list as more suggestions come in.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 19:18   #22

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.

Thanks all. Any old school sailor knows that their hammock is the best place to snooze. Indeed many sailors regard it as the only close "cuddle" that they ever get on board. Just for fun. A.
Old 15-01-2017, 18:38   #23

Boat: Island Packet 349

Comfortable sleeping area with a head positioned in the most uncomfortable spot of a boat?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 18:56   #24

Boat: 50 Bene

Our '04 Beneteau 50 has just what your looking for. We looked for the same thing, and were mostly disappointed with the forward berths on many of the prospects. Our forward berth is more than enough space for both of us and the dog, and he is not a small dog, 50lb shepherd lab mix. The main saloon is also quite large as it is only a two cabin version. There aren't too many of the two cabin versions of this boat for sale but there are a few. We love ours. Another plus are the multiple hatches in the forward berth. If there is any breeze at all it comes in. It is not unusual for us to sleep with a heavyish blanket if it is breezy. I'll try to post a few pics. Most are priced above your range but we got ours for a pretty sweet deal, far below asking. Good hunting!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0530.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	139683   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0197.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	139684  

Old 15-01-2017, 19:07   #25

Boat: 50 Bene

Here's a few more. Most of the pics yachtworld don't do it justice, and hey everything's for sale right😉

Cheers
Will
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0746.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	139685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0748.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	139686  

Name:	IMG_0747.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	139687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0749.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	139688  

Old 15-01-2017, 20:53   #26

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

I'm partial to the Catalina 400.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 22:55   #27

Boat: In Between Boats

Aft berths are the most comfortable in a rolly anchorage.
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 23:41   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

zippy,

I'm in a blunt mood, so batten down your hatches. I think that safety in a seaway is a higher priority than never sleeping in a V-berth. Here's why:

V-berths may be double bed sized--ours is. It offers great passage snoozing when the wind is aft of the beam or there are light airs. Our settees offer heavy weather sleeping.

I agree with you that it is easier to exit a double sided berth in the night for ablutions or checking on stuff, and I share your preference for an aft cockpit boat, and there's the ease of making the bed, too. This boat is a one-off, but an Adams 40 offers a configuration that might work for you.

However, for what it's worth, our boat has two department store doubles: the guest cabin and the forecabin. And that arrangement has worked well for about 55,000 n. mi.

Choose your boat for her seaworthiness; then worry about the accommodations. Sailing the world is not the same as car touring or caravan (motor home) touring. The ocean offer imperators; and you better be able to deal with them, or suffer the humiliation and shame of [ugh!] asking for help. .....And there could be worse consequences.

Ann
Old 16-01-2017, 03:22   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

I have a Jeanneau SO 44i with a forward centerline queen master cabin, private bath and you can sleep either direction. The key is to find the 3 cabin 3 head model vs the 4 cabin 2 head model. Mine is currently in Puerto Rico and will be for sale in April or May for slightly under your budget. It's a 2011 well equipped and ready to go down islands. The difficulty in finding one with the 3 cabin set up is this is a very popular charter model and most are bought with 4 cabins and 2 heads.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 04:02   #30

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
zippy,

I'm in a blunt mood, so batten down your hatches. I think that safety in a seaway is a higher priority than never sleeping in a V-berth. Here's why:

I love blunt and expect nothing less on this forum.

V-berths may be double bed sized--ours is. It offers great passage snoozing when the wind is aft of the beam or there are light airs. Our settees offer heavy weather sleeping.

I agree with you that it is easier to exit a double sided berth in the night for ablutions or checking on stuff, and I share your preference for an aft cockpit boat, and there's the ease of making the bed, too. This boat is a one-off, but an Adams 40 offers a configuration that might work for you.

However, for what it's worth, our boat has two department store doubles: the guest cabin and the forecabin. And that arrangement has worked well for about 55,000 n. mi.

Choose your boat for her seaworthiness; then worry about the accommodations. Sailing the world is not the same as car touring or caravan (motor home) touring. The ocean offer imperators; and you better be able to deal with them, or suffer the humiliation and shame of [ugh!] asking for help. .....And there could be worse consequences.

Ann

My original post stated what the boat is to be used for, which is 6 months of cruising between Puerto Rico and Granada. That means very few (maybe 1) overnight passages. If a rough overnight passage is required at some point, aft cabin or settee berths will work just fine, as you stated. What I am concerned with is the other 99% of the nights when I will be at anchor, and that is what I am buying for.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote