Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 09:20   #1

Boat Suggestions

I'm an experienced sailor looking into finally purchasing a boat (racing & cruising on friends boats and boat club boats for years).

I live in Baltimore and cruise the Chesapeake... bodkin creek, rock hall, annapolis, etc.. Sailing in the summer is typically hot and low wind while the spring and fall is great but a little chilly.

My criteria.

1. Cruising boat that is good in light air of the Chesapeake. Would add a code zero of asym to any boat.
2. Will fit under the 55' bridge at the marina of my preference. Would prefer to be under 52' --- giving me 3' of clearance.
3. Easy installation of a diesel heater for spring/fall sailing
4. Draft less than 6' for gunkholing
5. Easily sailed by one inexperienced sailor and one willing to helm spouse
6. Budget - $100k.
7. Windlass on the boat.
8. Willing to do a little teak
9. Not looking for a BW boat. The max this boat would ever do is the DelMarVa circ.

I'm looking at a Catalina 36 but would love to get something slightly bigger and willing to get move to a Ketch to reduce the mast height.

The problem I keep having is that I can't find mast heights anywhere.
aventius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Boat Suggestions

I too am experienced, but I have a different need: I am considering a solo circumnavigation in the coming year or two and I would like some suggestions on a suitable boat. I have had my heart set on the Passport 40, of the 1980’s vintage, because of the excellent handling, beautiful teak interior, and sturdy build. I love Bob Perry boats, but the Valiant and other “double enders” make it difficult to attach a wind vane. And, I am concerned with the size of the boat: The sails on a 40 footer may be too much for this 74 year old to handle. If anyone has a suggestion on an 80's vintage, sea-kindly, “bullet proof”, beautiful cutter in the 35 foot range, I would appreciate your letting me know.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:22   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

To OP
Look at the shoal draft versions of a J/37, J/37c and J/35c. Excellent sailing boats in light winds, easy to handle in big winds,no problem single handing..
Old 05-07-2018, 07:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
To OP
Look at the shoal draft versions of a J/37, J/37c and J/35c. Excellent sailing boats in light winds, easy to handle in big winds,no problem single handing..

I hadn't considered J Boats at all because I'm not racing but the shoal draft J/35c is a great option. Thanks. Only problem is that everyone will assume that I race every week and will question why I don't own a symmetrical spin!?!
aventius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:35   #5
Marine Service Provider

Those are my thoughts exactly on J boats. I've never considered them for a cruising boat. I spent my life racing around and, now that I'm retired, I intend to slow down, take my time and RELAX!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:41   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aventius View Post
I'm an experienced sailor looking into finally purchasing a boat (racing & cruising on friends boats and boat club boats for years).

I live in Baltimore and cruise the Chesapeake... bodkin creek, rock hall, annapolis, etc.. Sailing in the summer is typically hot and low wind while the spring and fall is great but a little chilly.

My criteria.

1. Cruising boat that is good in light air of the Chesapeake. Would add a code zero of asym to any boat.
2. Will fit under the 55' bridge at the marina of my preference. Would prefer to be under 52' --- giving me 3' of clearance.
6. Budget - $100k.
7. Windlass on the boat.
9. Not looking for a BW boat. The max this boat would ever do is the DelMarVa circ.

I'm looking at a Catalina 36 but would love to get something slightly bigger and willing to get move to a Ketch to reduce the mast height.

The problem I keep having is that I can't find mast heights anywhere.

Howdy! Welcome aboard CF!

Here is a discussion thread that is focused on shallow draft boats, suitable for cruising the Chesapeake and other places where shallow water is common.
The boats in this thread are ones I selected as examples, in exemplary condition. While some of these particular boats may not still be available for sale, there will usually be sister boats on the market. So, you can look through the many boats, to get an idea of what has been popular, then go search for one that is now available. Given your budget, you should have no trouble finding a good, used, boat and may have money left over for more toys or “necessary” upgrades you will eventually want.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ke-174548.html

Given your budget, you could also consider a boat I saw today. It is very well equipped and would be a “performance cruiser” on the Chesapeake. It has a very nice interior, and very good upgraded gear. The only gotcha is that it also has a 7 foot draft (for performance) and that is something you would need to factor into your cruising location plans. That said, this kind of boat is going to offer a very different (some will prefer) type of sailing experience in moderate winds. In short, you may have the fastest boat among your cruising friends.

Last summer I sailed from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland on a very similar boat, a J42. It was a fast cruiser, very responsive, very comfortable for cruising, and really nicely designed. The boat linked below is very similar, just a few feet shorter, and it has a bowsprit and a carbon fiber mast and sprit.

This is a 1995 J120, which is a 40 footer.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...g#.Wz43g4pOmfA

I hope this helps. And I hope you enjoy your time as a new member of CF.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:51   #7

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

6. Budget - $100k.
7. Windlass on the boat.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1 & 2 are mutually contradictory. C34 & C36 do well very well in light air.

3 is impossible, it is NEVER easy.

4 is easy to find in your neck of the woods (most all C34s I know in the Chesapeake have shoal draft keels)

5 Unless you find some unusual boat or one that is rigged incorrectly, I can't think of boat that you couldn't.

6 Easy to work with

7 & 8 Mark II Catalina 34s & 36s have no teak above and windlasses

9 Understood.

A C36 standard rig mast IS a C34 tall rig, which would be pushing it. Catalina Yachts has the specs in their archive tab, but I don't think they list mast height. The IJPE figures are there and you could scale it off from the brochure pictures. I have a C34 stand rig, I use 55 NOMINAL, it is shorter, but you know the drill. Bigger will have a taller stick.

A friend's father bought a J30 to cruise over a decade ago, loved it. Not a bad choice, who cares what other people on other boats think, you'll never meet them! Thing is I would think, but don't know, that for any given length their masts would be higher.

Happy hunting.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:05   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
I hadn't considered J Boats at all because I'm not racing but the shoal draft J/35c is a great option. Thanks. Only problem is that everyone will assume that I race every week and will question why I don't own a symmetrical spin!?!
Just because you aren't racing doesn't mean you can't have fun sailing. These Js sail so well you don't need a lot of sail up to keep them going. This makes single handing and sailing in heavy weather much easier.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:17   #9

You, my friend, want a Hinckley Bermuda 40 (otherwise simply called a B40)

https://www.hinckleyyachts.com/wp-co...b40article.pdf

49' bridge clearance. 4' 3" draft with centerboard up. Fast. Easy to single hand. Yawl rig allows sailing without the main in heavy wind which makes everything seem safe to spouses and guests. Won the Bermuda Race multiple times. Most have heaters (or better a fireplace) on board as it's a Maine boat. Most have windlass. No teak decks but there is a place in hell for an owner who does not maintain the brightwork of their B40.

Below decks, the joinery is old school. Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship.

Anyone who has every been at the helm of a B40 will agree it's the best sailing feel they've every had. Other sailboats will take pictures as you go by. "Old salts" will look up and watch as you enter the harbor. People will stop you to recount their memories aboard a B40.

They're always a few on the market. Look for one from a fastidious owner who's wife is making him sell the boat because he's over 90. That's the only reason most owners will sell their beloved B40

Here's an older one but she looks well cared for:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...g#.W0ECUrbMz1I
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat