Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2008, 07:34   #1

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Boat Review - Another One.

Well, I am still looking at boats to upgrade to a bigger boat.
I am sure that the Irwin 37 has been run over the coals, but I can't find any thread on it so I will ask (again?).
It will be a long time before we can buy a true cruising boat. Possibly we could get the Ingrid that I have been inquiring about, but it seems to need a lot of work.
Does anyone have an Irwin 37 or experience with one? I realize that they were a lighter built boat and did not necessarily use top of the line equipment and all. I am considering one that has come up for sale. It also needs work being an older boat, but more superficial than deep reconstruction.
That being said, we are not looking at this as a blue water cruiser but more a weekender and possibly taking up to Puget sound or down to Baja at some point. As most of you know, we have a large family and our Cal 2-29 is just too small for this purpose.
Thanks

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 07:53   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
If you plan to take the boat from Puget Sound to Baja, you will need to pick your weather very carefully AND be very lucky. That is a blue water passage. If you plan to just sail weekends and on the sound it will probably be OK. If not keep looking since these boats can have serious problems that don't show up just looking at them.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 08:01   #3

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
I should have been a little more clear Chuck - I would not plan to go from Puget sound to Baja. We live in Oregon so that is our primary sailing area. Near Coos Bay, Oregon. We would like to sail up to Puget Sound sometime and stay for some weeks or so there and sail back down here to Oregon.
Another possibility would be to slowly make our way to Baja or have the boat delivered and stay for a couple of months there and have the boat delivered back to Oregon.
Mainly, (and most likely) we will just use it for weekending here in Oregon. Possibly harbor hopping some.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 11:10   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Sometimes it's not the brand but the miles. With used boats you need to look at what shape it's in. Boats with shortcomings tend to show them well after a few years.

When given the choice between two boats the one in better shape usually is the better choice. A lot of Irwins made are still out there doing what normal people do - sail them just like you want to. No, they won't rate high as a blue water boat for a trip to the Baja. I don't see how it disqualifies what you are most serious about doing.

In terms of suitability to purpose there isn't anything you want to do that suggests any structurally sound properly equipped boat that won't break the budget now and over a short period of time won't be a good choice. If the Admiral and crew are happy you just don't need to role the dice more. With a good surveyor you'll get the review that really matters. Once you understand what it will cost you after you buy it you can decide.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews