Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2015, 10:57   #16

Boat: Westsail 28
Re: Boat pricing

BlueMaxx , I'm curious why is a Westsail 28-32 not on your list ? Don't worry I can take it , but please spare me the little nursery rime . Plus get this I saw a BCC 28-9 (?) for sale @ 175 K , the most I could hope for 35K . IMO the Westsail 28 is a better boat although the last W28 was laid up in 79' and this BCC was almost new . Anyhow Good luck with selling your house and I hope you get a boat that you will never part with .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 11:10   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

The more you discover about the condition of a boat the more the price falls.

A good boat (the minority) are usually worth the asking price (deluded sellers excluded!).

Whilst you often hear of folks getting massive discounts what is usually lacking in the story is the cost of fixes for the haggling items. And the unspotted problems. Often the concept is buy cheap so fixes / refit can be done as new.....without fully factoring in the time and aggro cost.

You also don't tend to hear too much from folks who paid full price (or near to) for a boat that should have been purchased 40% under. Or less.

The more you know the less you pay. Having time on your side and the ability to say no are also useful.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 12:39   #18

Boat: PSC Orion 27

What extras the boat is sportin' can affect the perceived value. When I bought mine the PO thought he should drop the price of a tillered boat by the cost of adding a pedestal, also lacking all electronics, he lowered the price some more. Fortunately for me, those were two things I was expressly looking for.
Keep your money in hand, the right boat will come along. It might not be for sale yet.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 13:17   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
The Niagara 35 that you listed is not a full keel but it is a very nice boat that sails well and would be up for most offshore passages. I note that you specify a full keel but put the Niagara on your list.
Cast a glance around the freshwater areas in the north as these boats only get used a few months out of each year which means they are generally in nicer condition and the size range you are looking at can often be found in these areas.
Vanity....
BlueMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 13:25   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
BlueMaxx , I'm curious why is a Westsail 28-32 not on your list ? Don't worry I can take it , but please spare me the little nursery rime . Plus get this I saw a BCC 28-9 (?) for sale @ 175 K , the most I could hope for 35K . IMO the Westsail 28 is a better boat although the last W28 was laid up in 79' and this BCC was almost new . Anyhow Good luck with selling your house and I hope you get a boat that you will never part with .
Quite simply, ignorance with cause.
Any company that has to preface a model with "some owner built models were also available." I turn the other way. Right or wrong?
who knows...but I am not relegated to simply a few choices, and I aim to chose well.
I do not know enough at this stage and I know what pyrite is.
Depending upon timing I will immediately start looking for a good surveyor. I will not purchase a vessel otherwise. A boat with a good independent survey and good documentation is a must.
Safety first...Function over form second. Lower maintenance and a motor you do not need a shoe-horn to work on is a must.

M
Old 13-06-2015, 19:40   #21

HaHa , I'll take that last sentence first . The W28 has a engine room , when you get in there you sit down on a bench . I have eaten my lunch in there .
Back in the day a lot of W32's & 28's were sold as kit boats , most were built with TLC , some not so much . For your amusement , please check these websites .
WOA Home page
WESTSAIL - WORLD CRUISER YACHT CO.
I'm not trying to do a hard sell on the W's they are not for everyone . Good luck my friend .
Old 13-06-2015, 20:09   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
HaHa , I'll take that last sentence first . The W28 has a engine room , when you get in there you sit down on a bench . I have eaten my lunch in there .
Back in the day a lot of W32's & 28's were sold as kit boats , most were built with TLC , some not so much . For your amusement , please check these websites .
WOA Home page
WESTSAIL - WORLD CRUISER YACHT CO.
I'm not trying to do a hard sell on the W's they are not for everyone . Good luck my friend .
Same here. Also not trying to do a hard sell on Westsails. Not even my style of boat and probably wouldn't buy one (just my personal preference). But if you're looking for traditional style, full keel, heavy duty then Westsail is hard to beat. Look around and you can find some great deals. Yes you do need to be careful as some were owner finished and not finished so well, some had teak over plywood decks that are rotted out, etc.

But find one that is solid and you've got a boat that will take you anywhere in almost any weather and if you don't kill it, will be sailing long after you've swallowed the anchor. Also performs pretty well if you get a bit of a breeze.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 21:39   #23

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

There's a list of sailboats we could probably come up with that are pretty darned solid and bluewater worthy that don't have the same pedigree or "name recognition" as most of those on your list. There are also boats that are highly-valued (and priced) in Europe that are fairly unknown or simply less appreciated in North America, for whatever reason.
These you can find at fairly good bargain prices without having the play the bargaining game all that much.
I'll throw one out there that you might find cheaper in this hemisphere: LM (small pilothouse sailboats around 30 feet).
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 22:22   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
There's a list of sailboats we could probably come up with that are pretty darned solid and bluewater worthy that don't have the same pedigree or "name recognition" as most of those on your list. There are also boats that are highly-valued (and priced) in Europe that are fairly unknown or simply less appreciated in North America, for whatever reason.
These you can find at fairly good bargain prices without having the play the bargaining game all that much.
I'll throw one out there that you might find cheaper in this hemisphere: LM (small pilothouse sailboats around 30 feet).
It would help if your profile or post indicate which hemisphere that is
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 06:09   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Great point on those European vessels.

There is currently several Vindo 45's that just look really cool but excessive even to Baba standards on teak and other woods.
Also a Dutch Flyer and Vineyard Vixen that all have low prices and a lot of boat.

On each of these boats nearly all have an engine that is inaccessible in my thought.
I tend to plan for the worse and pray for the best. I do not want to be in a bad situation made worse through rough waters and a engine that is hard to fix in a tight spot.

On the Westsails...another reason I am straying from these is there are a limited number on the market I can find.
I guess because there are only a finite amount made, and from what I can tell these boats have been touted for years making the ones I find shall we say look rode hard put up wet. Also they are bringing a higher price on top of this.
Old 14-06-2015, 10:36   #26

BlueMaxx , at the moment , roughly, no one will hold you to it . How much you looking to spend ? Considering you found a boat in the 27-32 range . And I'm talking fair price , not right place right time , fire sale .
Old 14-06-2015, 14:57   #27

To be brief, I see know reason, based on what I am seeing to be between 50-75.
Old 14-06-2015, 15:07   #28

OK , and now for your review .
SABAI - W32
And under budget !
Old 14-06-2015, 16:29   #29

Discount off asking price on a used boat means nothing . If I thought that I as a seller was going to be hit with lesser offers I might just raise my asking price 40 per cent beforehand .
Ain't no one really knows the value of a boat , they may know the value that they place on it but that means nothing , more important is what will you take for it ?
I offered $35,000 on a boat that was priced at $85,000 . I got it !
I bought a 38 foot Dutch boat that had just crossed the pond , asking $50,000 , got it for twelve . Make an offer , if ya do not get it , move on !
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 06:09   #30

Markwesti...
Ay'up...that would make the short list for sure....

I really really like the
Pacific Seacraft (Orion) & up to 34'
Island Packet
This 1981 C.E. Ryder SeaSprite 34'

Also, I mentioned full keel...really that is because I am such a beginner I felt it would give me some extra error room for stupid tax. Also when I first started looking I thought I had to have a "blue-water" cruiser which I see now as synonymous with "pocket-cruiser" unicorns and pickled eel pharts.
Hipsters have to sell their lifestyle I suppose...

I need to be challenged with my "why's" as I go along by good folks like yourself.

Truthfully for the next at least say five years I will be hugging the coast, traveling around part of the US I have never see...I dont see myself as the next old man of the sea in my boat in the middle of the Atlantic.

1 dose realism wakes one up......so really the more I think about it a shallower draft boat will allow more opportunities for dropping anchor.

I want something that will sail to the wind well and handle a storm, as bomb-proof (read idiot proof) and comfortable as I can find and afford.. Im am totally ok with <32'.

And again, the less I spend to begin with the more I cruise.

Damn, these last 6 months are so are going to be worse than being a kid at Christmas

1981 C.E. Ryder Sea Sprite 34 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com