Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2011, 15:20   #16

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: Boat Poll-please contribute opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailcat View Post
Khaggan1227-I was very disappointed when I went aboard the Beneteau37-40. I think it was a 2005. Mind you I had just boarded and reviewed Island Packets 46-48s and was very suprised at the quality difference. However, the boat was in poor repair and smelled of mold and fiberglass which may have jaded my opinion. If you think Beneteau is a worthy boat, I'll look again and much closer. The price is definately attractive for a $$/ft craft.

Anyone else have an opinion on Beneteau/Jeanteau lines?
Mark J owns a 393 and he has a lot of positive remarks about it's quality, he finished a circumnavigation this spring in it. They are definitely in my top three list for 40ish foot boats. Hunter and Catalina being the other two.

I love Valients, a friend owned one and besides I love a nice looking stern.

I like formosas as well, but they always seem cramped inside to me.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 16:50   #17

Boat: In Research Mode-Nothing Yet
Re: Boat Poll - Please Contribute Opinions

Next Subject-Hull material

I've ruled out ferrocement.
I've accepted fiberglass.
I fantisize about wood.
Considered Aluminun for the scrap value.
Think steel would be too noisy, underway and at anchor.

What are your thoughts and observations?

Thanks in advance.
Sailcat
Sailcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 17:06   #18

Your list is very diverse. From catalinas to higher end heavy boats. From 37-50 ft. There are many. Any can be sailed around the world, but some of those cheaper lighter ones you may end up a little uncomfortable in. Personally I woulld avoid Cheoy lee or old formosas. For different reasons: Formosa likely too much work but strong, Cheoy Lee... too many cracked glass stories for me. But in the end it depends on the specific boat. I would not recommend buying a 50 footer just because you are impressed with the size. Decide what size works for you well first. IMHO

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 19:25   #19

Boat: Sabre 402

Did I miss where you said what you wanted to do with the boat? That makes a big difference. If it's sitting at the dock, you don't need heavy-duty layups and reinforced backing plates. You can have a huge cockpit and windows (rather than ports). If you plan to go sailing, other criteria come to the fore. We enjoy passing Beneteaux, Hunters, and Catalinas all the time, but they have room to stock a bar to keep 20 cheerleaders drunk for a week, where we're lucky to clear a secure spot for a bottle of wine for dinner. Everybody has a favorite boat, but that's because they each envisage using it a different way.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 19:52   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
We enjoy passing Beneteaux, Hunters, and Catalinas all the time, but they[....]
Some interesting chest-thumping going on here, especially given the fact that it comes from the owner of a j-36. What Catalinas are you passing? Catalina 27s? And the Hunters, might they be 29.5s? What about the "Beneteaux" (sic)? I'm guessing you're not passing many boats from the First series. Not with what your boat rates.

Personally, I can't remember ever being passed by a J-36. If any such thing were ever to happen, it would have had to happen in really light wind. Really really really light wind. But the problem may simply be that the J-36 was built in the early balsa-core days, before J Boats replaced the model with the popular, and far superior, J-35. I understand that a significant number of the those ancient J-36 hulls have de-laminated. A shame. A good thing they made so few of them.

I'm hoping that someday soon people on this forum will realize how asinine statements such as the one quoted above really are. Why go out of the way to shag someone else's boat, even boat brands you can't spell, when your boat has so many historic faults?
Old 28-09-2011, 20:11   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
I've been on both the Hunter 50 and Beneteau 50, either for me will do the trick. That said, IMHO both are more suited for cruising than offshore, but without a doubt both a capable (in the right hands) of circumnavigation.
I suppose if I owned a Chrysler 22 located in Kansas City, a Hunter 50 or a Beneteau 50 would "do the trick" for me as well. Seriously, however, what does it mean, in your humble opinion, to claim that "both are more suited for cruising than offshore."

???
Old 28-09-2011, 20:36   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I suppose if I owned a Chrysler 22 located in Kansas City, a Hunter 50 or a Beneteau 50 would "do the trick" for me as well. Seriously, however, what does it mean, in your humble opinion, to claim that "both are more suited for cruising than offshore."

???
HEY! We owned a Chrysler 22 when I was in college!

It was a bit of a step down from a Block Island 40...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 20:39   #23

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
???
I am thinking if you wandered from your home marina to a different marina along a coast (and probably back again) - that would be "cruising" - whereas if you actually went away from the shore to somewhere else, that would be "offshore"??? I for one am glad that cruising seems to be easier to accomplish than going offshore...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 20:57   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

The problem with discussing boat models is it's very subjective and the variations of year, model, layout and sail plan can make a hugh difference in the performance and usefullness of a boat.

Please, before you post an opinion that may seem insulting to another boat owner read the previous sentence and ask yourself if you really know as much as you think you do. If your answer is yes ask yourself if it's worth disturbing the peace at Cruiser's Forum to express your opinion.

It is possible to discuss different models of boats without expressing strident and insulting opinions about them, so please take some time and reread your post before hitting the magic button from which there is no return.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 21:08   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Of your "realistic" list I have sailed on Choey Lee 42 foot cutter that I loved. I have heard the build on some Choey Lee's isn't as good as it could be but I know this isn't true on all. This one was an early 80's model and really beautiful. A fellow has a Beneteau First 42s7 on the bouy next to me and it is a beauty though the deck is curved and I like being out on the deck.

For my money settling on a make and model isn't the best way to buy a boat. The best way is to visit as many as you can and then ask is "what do you think of this?"
View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 21:29   #26

Cost is a rather significant part of the equation. I made the mistake of buying an RV years ago without much thought about the total cost. Bottom line between the loan payment the cost of gas, maintenance and travel expenses the RV quickly became a very expensive lawn ornament.

I am looking for a boat, one that I can afford to live on, use, maintain and enjoy. I don't have a lawn anymore.
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 23:22   #27

Boat: Currently boatless

Also consider Amel Maramu 46.
Old 29-09-2011, 03:11   #28

Boat: Catfisher 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailcat View Post
Next Subject-Hull material

I've ruled out ferrocement.
I've accepted fiberglass.
I fantisize about wood.
Considered Aluminun for the scrap value.
Think steel would be too noisy, underway and at anchor.

What are your thoughts and observations?

Thanks in advance.
Sailcat
I do not understand the 'Considered Aluminum for the scrap value' statement . An Ovni would be my first choice for a serious cruiser.
scubastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 03:22   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

One design feature you don't mention on your list is keel type. You have long keel slow tubs like Island Packets mixed up with racy bulb keel Swans. Which do you want? The type of keel makes a bigger difference than the type of rig. Long keel = stable, seakindly, seaworthy, slow, unweatherly, impossible to reverse. Fin keel = fast and weatherly; seaworthiness and seakindliness more or less depending on other factors (shape of forefoot, for example; displacement; fat stern or not).

Most people on a budget will be happiest with a newer production boat. There are lots and lots of different opinions (search the archives), but my favorite in the size range you are looking at would be a Beneteau. A good combination of outstanding value for the money, and very good sailing performance (is that important to you?). They are more lightly built and have smaller tanks than more expensive boats, so not as well suited for long-distance, high-latitude passage-making. But since only 2% at most of cruising sailors do anything like that, I would say that this type of boat is perfectly fine for the vast majority of cruising sailors.

Let the flames begin!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 07:54   #30

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Some interesting chest-thumping going on here, especially given the fact that it comes from the owner of a j-36. What Catalinas are you passing? Catalina 27s? And the Hunters, might they be 29.5s? What about the "Beneteaux" (sic)? I'm guessing you're not passing many boats from the First series. Not with what your boat rates.

Personally, I can't remember ever being passed by a J-36. If any such thing were ever to happen, it would have had to happen in really light wind. Really really really light wind. But the problem may simply be that the J-36 was built in the early balsa-core days, before J Boats replaced the model with the popular, and far superior, J-35. I understand that a significant number of the those ancient J-36 hulls have de-laminated. A shame. A good thing they made so few of them.

I'm hoping that someday soon people on this forum will realize how asinine statements such as the one quoted above really are. Why go out of the way to shag someone else's boat, even boat brands you can't spell, when your boat has so many historic faults?
Sorry Bash. The Hunters and Catalinas we pass are the 42' ones, and we pass them with us three boatlengths to leeward of them. As stated, they have features we lack. These features may or may not be important to the original poster - we don't know.
We also have passed - boat for boat - every J/35 we've raced against, despite their rating 12 PHRF points faster than us. My point was that the right boat for the original poster depends upon what he wants to do with it. He hasn't specified what he wants to do, so it is impossible to know if a floating condo would suit, or if he needs a reinforced bow for ice-breaking duty at the South Pole. His "list" includes boats that might be suitable for either role. My post does not mention construction issues, again because we don't know what the goal is.
Please excuse any typos. Beneteaux is the plural of Beneteau.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote