Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 13:53   #1

Boat: In Research Mode-Nothing Yet
Boat Poll III - Hunter 460 General Opinions

Hunter 460 and 466
Today I boarded three appealing boats. The first was a 2000 Hunter 460 and second the 2003 466. I didn't see much difference in the two frm a design pov. I found below deck to be a tight but still roomy interior. Good layout in every respect. On deck I found the same thing. Plenty of room to manuver. Not sure if the raked spreaders would a negative and was hoping to hear from the forum on running vs tack and gibe. These models are deck stepped.

Then I went aboard a Catalina 50 expecting to see a much roomier salon and was quite surprised to find it smaller than the Hunters. On deck it was noticeably larger w lots of room for a dingy on the foredeck. Cockpit had much more room than the Hunters, as well. Cat was keel stepped.
I have yet to sail any of them so I can't comment on performance observations and really I'm not qualified to be too critical at this early stage of my search and education.
Any owners out there proud of thier boats? Hunters and Cats, that is.
Sailcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 14:14   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Boat Poll III-Hunter 460 general opinions

Ask Bash he has a 46' on.
Old 01-10-2011, 15:39   #3

Don Lucas,
Are you happy with your choice of a Hunter? Is it all you need? Good in weather, etc. Are you live-aboard? Are you headed south for the winter?

Broker was pushing me to the Catalina, not because of cost, but I didn't like it nearly as much as the Hunter.
Old 01-10-2011, 15:43   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 50 DS

You may want to take a look at a Cambria, if you can find one. extremely well built, very hansdome and fast
DeWittcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 15:52   #5

Boat: Hunter 42

We have a 1992 Hunter Passage 42. So not exactly the same boat but I really like it. My husband's the one with the skills and know how. We spent 4 months traveling from New Orleans to the Bahamas with a 3 week stop in Key West this year. It handled well in a variety of weather. Well we didn't encounter any really bad weather. As you mentioned Hunters are very roomy and comfortable. This is our second Hunter we also have a 40ft Legend (interested??). We believe in lots of creature comforts - not for us the grueling passages eating hardtack. This boat works for us.
wahoo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 15:59   #6

DeWittcap,
I would like to know how you like your Jeanneau 50DS. I'm reviewing them now and hope to see one next week end. Have you had it long? Is it well built (IYO) for blue water passages?
Thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 16:01   #7

Thanks, Wahoo. Good testimony.
Old 01-10-2011, 16:35   #8

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Hunters are commonly bashed (Google "Hunter sailboat quality") because they do things differently. The backstayless fractional rig, deck stepped masts, fiberglass rudder posts, lotsa freeboard, the rollbar, to name a few. And they are not considered an "offshore" boat...but they've got a lot of company there. Hunters are probably fine for daysailing & coastal cruising...and that's how the vast majority of us use our boats. My own C&C 34, also not an offshore boat, is known for performance and seaworthiness and while it may tack through 75' it definitely doesn't have the interior room of a Hunter. Like life, sailboats are a series of compromises so keep doing your research. And try to get a ride in a Hunter and something like a Tartan on a blowy day with 4 - 6 foot seas.
Old 01-10-2011, 17:01   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailcat View Post
Don Lucas,
Are you happy with your choice of a Hunter? Is it all you need? Good in weather, etc. Are you live-aboard? Are you headed south for the winter?

Broker was pushing me to the Catalina, not because of cost, but I didn't like it nearly as much as the Hunter.

My wife and I are very happy with our Hunter 410. I don't really have any complaints about it. Regardless what some who don't turely know, my 410 will take me anywhere and do is quickly and comfortably. And I feel the contruction is very good!

Currently we are mostly weekenders. But we plan on this being our cruiser in a few years.

I don't know what you are looking for if you felt the 46/460 was too small.

There's a whole thread about Attraction to Hunters I started way before I got mine. Good reading mostly.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:07   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Boat Poll III - Hunter 460 General Opinions

I agree with DL I have never heard someone say the interior of the 460 was small. You my friend might be a cat man.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:18   #11

Sorry, guys.
I didn't mean the 460 was small, at all. On the contrary, I found it to be just right. What I was trying to get accross was that I wouldn't go smaller, that's all. For instance, because of the forward crew cabin and large locker in the Catalina 50, it reduced the size of the salon to less square footage than the Hunter 460. Or at least it appears that way. I really loved the Hunter 460 and if I had my check book with me at the time I may have left a deposit. (glad I didn't though. still too early for me to finalize my choice, but the Hunter sure narrowed things down by eliminating many boats I've looked at.)
Thank you for your generous comments!
Old 15-06-2014, 06:03   #12

Boat: Hunter 460, 46'

Also looking at a 2002 Hunter 460. It's offered at $175K which seems a bit high but it looks brand new and in much better condition than some 2005 and 2006 44 DS's we saw for around the same price. 1900+ hours on the 76 hp Yanmar. Trying to figure out the best negotiating strategy (what to offer initially). Our budget is around $150K.
atexasex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 10:06   #13

Boat: Hunter 460 44'3"
Unhappy Re: Boat Poll III - Hunter 460 General Opinions

I spoke to a broker recently that said he normally will offer 30% less than a boat is listed. This is a business deal and the seller always has 3 options, accept, reject or counter. I missed a very sweet deal on a Hunter 420 recently because I thought my offer was going to be too low and insulting. The boat was listed for $91K and I wanted to offer $70K; when I called to make my offer, the owner had just accepted another offer. That deal was completed last weekend for $65K.
Soldout2sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 10:29   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Sailcat,
How much sailboat experience (ownership) do you have?
I ask as these are at least to me awfully big boats
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 23:30   #15

Boat: Tayana 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
Hunters are commonly bashed (Google "Hunter sailboat quality") because they do things differently. The backstayless fractional rig, deck stepped masts, fiberglass rudder posts, lotsa freeboard, the rollbar, to name a few. And they are not considered an "offshore" boat...but they've got a lot of company there. Hunters are probably fine for daysailing & coastal cruising...and that's how the vast majority of us use our boats. My own C&C 34, also not an offshore boat, is known for performance and seaworthiness and while it may tack through 75' it definitely doesn't have the interior room of a Hunter. Like life, sailboats are a series of compromises so keep doing your research. And try to get a ride in a Hunter and something like a Tartan on a blowy day with 4 - 6 foot seas.

Again, what is 'offshore'. Would a trip from Florida to Australia at times be considered offshore? I would think so and our trip on a 1991 Legend 43 would seem to support it. No broken gear except pulling a bullet out of the main.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter