Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2020, 11:47   #16

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Boat on stands for 2 years, stands have dented into hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by doog View Post
rather than comment on bondo below the water line I will just share this link..Yikes.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...dy-filler.html
Yikes? Many posters were quite satisfied with their experiences. In my own case when I had Carina moved from the builder's yard to a boatyard near me for completion they set the hull in the cradle wrong; I complained but they insisted it was fine. 1-1/2 years later when I went to launch there were two dimples that needed repair. The fg guy used Bondo, glassed over and faired. That was 1980. The only way to know it happened was to strip off the bottom paint. With 40 years in the water and no issues I think it has proven itself.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 12:25   #17

Boat: Pearson 34-2

When we first purchased out Tartan 27-2 about 9 years ago, one of the stands was creating a dent in thew hull. I told the yard about it, and they promptly backed it off and apologized. I have not noticed the are being dented since then. All was good!
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 12:37   #18

This sounds like the jack stands were not placed on bulkheads. Or the bulkheads are crushing, or delaminated at the tabbing. stands should not be stoving the hull in.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 13:09   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
The fg guy used Bondo, glassed over and faired.

Greg
While I don't claim to have experience with Bondo below the waterline (I'm an epoxy + filler guy), I think the key words here are "glassed over and faired".
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 13:38   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

How deep?
Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 13:52   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebikeboy View Post
Thanks to all for the replies. From what the previous owner told me, last year the Mississippi flooded real bad, and the boat floated up, pulling the cradle with it.

When the river came down, the blocking under the keel had washed away so the boat came down harder on the supports and also is slightly lopsided. They never attempted to replace the blocking or lower the stands, and a year has passed since the flood.

I inspected the interior and don't see any cracking, although there is a liner in the location of one support, and on that liner I can see some gelcoat crazing where the support is pushing inward. Bulkheads seem fine, not displaced.

The indents are not sharp, they are gradual so I believe I might be lucky. Getting the boat off the cradle this week and onto regular jack stands so I'll give an update at that point what it looks like.
Thats a lot of weight with the keel not blocked. The bulk of all the weight is supposed to be on the keel with the stands just supporting the boat and stopping it from tipping over.
What your saying is the bottom/sides were carrying all the weight which would put huge loads on the stands and the hull. Have it checked very very carefully before splashing it. It just may need some repairs.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 21:11   #22

Boat: 1980 Cape Dory '27

Cadence I think the dents go in 1 or possibly 2 inches max

robert sailor - the blocking that washed away was a 2x6 according to the prev owner, so the keel only dropped an extra couple inches, and rested on the angle iron of the cradle (which is also eating into the bottom of the keel a bit, will fix)

I'm encouraged by all the replies and advice, thanks. I'm intrigued by garyfdl's technique of using the light to heat it and get it poppin' out. Great idea and sounds easy once it's all rigged up.

I'm thinking I'll do nothing, get it splashed, wait a season or two and then when I haul her for paint again I'll revisit the dents then. That is, after a close inspection to make sure theres not worse damage.

Thanks everyone, I'll post some pics later once I get the boat on jack stands and can see how the dimples look without the cradle stands on it.
mikebikeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 22:01   #23

Boat: Macgregor 26S
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

I would sand that down and fill it with fiberglass mat and sand smooth. Simple enough and would not take long to do. Bottom paint will cover up everything you did and keep it water tight.

Watch Sailing Uma on youtube, those guys are constantly fixing things on their hull, cutting huge holes and filling them in. They do excellent work from what I can tell, and it all looks so simple.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 06:37   #24

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love

Indents around the jack stands are caused by failure to put the stands in the proper place, ie on bulkheads. This is a failure by whoever did that. Either the yard or the former owner in his backyard. If a backyard job, you bought it and you are stuck.
If it was done by a yard they are at fault and responsible. In order to establish a path to righteousness, ask the yard, nicely, to lift the boat and relocate the stands to areas supported by bulkheads. Ask them nicely. Then you can wait and see if the dents po out after a day or a week or until you and the yard become convinced they will never pop out.
If they pop out, all well and good and mark on the outside of the hull at the toerail where the bulkheads are or where the stands should go. It is irresponsible for a yard to do this incorrectly.
If they don't pop out there are several remedies for popping out dents in boats and cars. Try them they do work and they are not all that expensive. If there is cracking after you have popped the dents out you will need some glass repair. Not a difficult job on the inside. Lot's of how to books and as a reinforcing repair, very easy. do it yourself. Follow the directions.
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 07:14   #25

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

No comment on the condition of your particular boat, but I had a Cape Dory 27 (sweetest Cape Dory design I think) on the hard for years during Maine's long off-season. The issue is how the jacks are used. The weight of the boat should be borne by the blocks under the keel. The jack stands are for lateral stability port and starboard. they should be firm - be tight to the hull - but they should NOT be carrying the weight of the boat. Some thin hulls may flex under even that load, but Cape Dory? They're a brick.
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 07:25   #26

99.99999% sure all you need to do is stop worrying and get it into the water. NOTHING BAD WILL HAPPEN, and when you take it out, those dents will be gone. Don't bother attempting to heat or hydrate small sections. What you need is for all the hull to go back to an even pressure gradient (by point of draft footprint), and even temperature, and let the hull absorb water evenly (yes, polyester FRP does indeed soak up high percentages of water by weight). Don't go heating spots with lamps or heat guns or any other silly stuff. I have plunked unknown numbers of boats that suffered from everything up to and including people actually cranking them up with the stands to paint under the keel, having their keel blocks stolen, then forgetting it and leaving it sitting for years before marketing it and having me do a refit. It is only a problem if structural members near the warped bit have been busted loose in some way, and you are NOT going to see that on a CD27! Cape Dory can have all sorts of issues, but not the basic durability of the hull.

EDIT: Oh yeah, people can always accuse the yard of putting the stands in the wrong place, but usually the issue is that dirt under the keel blocks subsides or gets washed out by rain. There should be no major issue with exactly where you put stands, just that you have used the proper number, chained them properly, and have only tightened them up with light pressure...using a cross-checking procedure much like you would when torquing bolts. You can screw up by putting too much point-loading force on a main structural bulkhead too, and you *should* keep those areas clear for the travel-lift straps! The boat's mass belongs on the keel, not the stands.
Aethelwulffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 07:33   #27

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethelwulffe View Post
99.99999% sure all you need to do is stop worrying and get it into the water. NOTHING BAD WILL HAPPEN, and when you take it out, those dents will be gone. Don't bother attempting to heat or hydrate small sections. What you need is for all the hull to go back to an even pressure gradient (by point of draft footprint), and even temperature, and let the hull absorb water evenly (yes, polyester FRP does indeed soak up high percentages of water by weight). Don't go heating spots with lamps or heat guns or any other silly stuff. I have plunked unknown numbers of boats that suffered from everything up to and including people actually cranking them up with the stands to paint under the keel, having their keel blocks stolen, then forgetting it and leaving it sitting for years before marketing it and having me do a refit. It is only a problem if structural members near the warped bit have been busted loose in some way, and you are NOT going to see that on a CD27! Cape Dory can have all sorts of issues, but not the basic durability of the hull.
What he said X 2! Just sail the damn boat this year, if the dents are still there when you haul this fall, then grind and fair with epoxy filler and cloth. It will become the strongest part of your hull.
Woodland Hills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 07:36   #28

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail4evr View Post
Indents around the jack stands are caused by failure to put the stands in the proper place, ie on bulkheads. This is a failure by whoever did that. Either the yard or the former owner in his backyard. If a backyard job, you bought it and you are stuck.
If it was done by a yard they are at fault and responsible. In order to establish a path to righteousness, ask the yard, nicely, to lift the boat and relocate the stands to areas supported by bulkheads. Ask them nicely. Then you can wait and see if the dents po out after a day or a week or until you and the yard become convinced they will never pop out.
If they pop out, all well and good and mark on the outside of the hull at the toerail where the bulkheads are or where the stands should go. It is irresponsible for a yard to do this incorrectly.
If they don't pop out there are several remedies for popping out dents in boats and cars. Try them they do work and they are not all that expensive. If there is cracking after you have popped the dents out you will need some glass repair. Not a difficult job on the inside. Lot's of how to books and as a reinforcing repair, very easy. do it yourself. Follow the directions.
It's not a bad idea to put the stands on bulkheads or other interior reinforcement but that's not really necessary unless the hull is paper thin. The stands should not take any weight of the boat. They are only there to keep the boat from turning turtle. No need to lift boat to reposition/loosen the stands. Yes, if the boat is leaning so badly the boat is in danger of tipping over, you might need pick up the boat and reset it properly upright.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 07:40   #29

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Just fix the stuff that really needs attention and don't sweat the other stuff Like dents in the hull from the stands. Dorys are tough boats and a good soaking in the lake or ocean will more than likely solve the problem. You might relocate/adjust the stands if possible.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 07:40   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Just sail the damn boat
x4 this part of what he said.
Not so much the other part. Uniform flexibility (fancy = modulus of elasticity and other monikers) is a type of strength too. New boat jitters will NOT make the beer taste better. Sailors belong on boats, and boats belong at sea. That will cure all. If the fish don't like the color of your bottom paint, just ignore them.
Aethelwulffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, hull