Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2021, 09:08   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Boat is heeling in marina - owner says its ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathis View Post
Unless this problem has a logical explanation and can be easily and economically repaired, it might be in your best interest to pass on this boat
I think Gray Sailor is the surveyor, just starting out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathis View Post
The owner says it's OK but it's possible that the owner isn't aware of the extent of the problem and the cost of proper repair.
I am not sure what the problem is? its a 3800kg yacht with a huge great water and fuel tank, its going to lean but also be lots of fun fast sailing with a fin and blade rudder.

Gray Sailor, is this the deep fin version or shallow? The shallow ones couldn't be coded for commercial charter beyond 20 miles in calm conditions in the UK due to quite a low stability.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 09:34   #62

Trimming how a boat sits in the water is a lesson I learn in the 70’s. Dingy sailing you move forward or aft. Hike out or move in close to the centerline. Day sailing with a few people a couple of coolers and other gear. We would load the boat with the gear. Take a look at how she is sitting and how the winds and waves are behaving. Big boat sailing well the guys I know with sailboats over 30 feet Some are downright anal on weight distribution. Others don’t care. Bottom line whatever you’re comfortable with
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 10:15   #63

Boat: Nordship 808

I've had my current boat since 2014, and it has always annoyed me that it listed a few degrees.

I've been blaming the designer for placing too much interior in one side, and wondered if the boat had a lot of water in the core in port side, or if it was just generally about to sink.

This spring I did what I should have done a long time ago. Cleaned out the deep locker in port side and threw out a bunch of useless stuff.
Now she sits completely straight in the water.

Didn't have to scrap the boat after all.
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 10:26   #64

Boat: Macwester 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Gray Sailor, is this the deep fin version or shallow?
Yes, it is shallow one. Keel is ok. I have made several measurements from the aft tip of the keel to stantions. The keel is sitting in place.

I think that the problem is because the boat has one aft cabin on port side, which is empty at the time. Water tank is also empty.
There is no port cockpit locker.

At the same time starboard cockpit locker is full of various stuff.

And the fuel tank is almost full.
gray_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 10:39   #65

Boat: Schucker 436 1977 39’+

If it’s heeling on the dockside, loosen the mooring lines a bit.😊
BonesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 11:13   #66

Boat: Sigma Yachts, Sigma362, 36ft

I have a similar problem on my '88 Sigma 362. It wasn't like it when I bought her but since then I have filled up the cavernous starboard cockpit locker (including two spare anchors and a load of chain). The majority of the internal storage is on the starboard side also so I'm pretty convinced that's what has caused it.
It makes no noticeable difference when sailing. Perhaps she tacks slightly higher on starboard but really, as someone else has said, if you haven't got sea water sloshing around below the cabin sole I wouldn't be overly concerned.
In the picture I think the whole boat is slightly off plumb in the stands which is fairly common really.
Old 17-05-2021, 11:51   #67

Boat: Bavaria 36'

Our Bavaria has a list at times. We have the fuel and batteries on the port side with an added domestic battery. Also on the port side is a deep locker with dinghy and black tank. On the other side is a water tank. It is hardly surprising that there is a list if the water tank is empty. This is not really a problem as I sail with two crew who weigh more then 400lb betrween them. If they sit on the same side of the boat we get a list.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 11:55   #68

Boat: Tayana 48

I bought a boat long time ago with cored hull that water got into. Starboard side had hundreds of pounds of water between laminations. Boat was a total
bendriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 12:23   #69

Boat: Hunter 356

I’m enjoying all the jokers!

Trimming a boat in the slip is part of good seamanship. It doesn’t take much effort to move your stowed items around a little.

But you have quite a list. Or was that lisp?

It is interesting to note that looking at your waterline, in times past, she did sit level. Which validates the owners report. This implies that you simply need to retrim the stowage.
jsanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 15:36   #70

Boat: 51' pilot house cutter, aluminum

Proper trim is always an issue. And the smaller the boat, the more important. Bavaria 32's only displace a little more than 8,000#, have a ballast to displacement ratio of about 28. So light boat with only a little more than one ton of balance = tender boat, making the location of every substantial weight very important. Get the trim right and performance will improve too.
captain38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 19:27   #71

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray_sailor View Post
I did all measurements today. Keel is well aligned. Doublechecked it with both hanging level and ruler measurements from tip of the keel to boat topsides. It is only the ruder which is declined to portside.
So, the question still remains, why is she listing.
I have asked this question to Bavaria and got a responce, that probably starboard cockpit locker is loaded too much...It is very strange anyway....
Are you saying the aft end and hence rudder's vertical post through the hull as designed is not in the same vertical plane as the keel ? And then the explanation is that the aft starboard cockpit locker was loaded to the point where the aft end of the hull, when assymetrically (port-starboard) loaded, twisted the hull as a result of said offcenter loading ?

I don't think that would be possible.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 20:33   #72

Boat: S&S 40

Obviously bad weight distribution..keels don't bend, but then its a Beneteau so anything is possible.
Anyway, just check what is stored where.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 20:38   #73

Boat: Pearson 386

It is not uncommon for lighter displacement boats to have some list from the factory. If it is more than about 3 degrees it is quite noticeable. Most can be at least partially corrected by attention to tankage or mounting a pad for dinghy outboard on the rail. Designers lay out the insides for convenience, aesthetics, and of course to use every bit of available space, often paying less attention to the effect in trim. That much list is not normal. My guess is that the boat came through with some as built list to starboard hence the added ballast but not as much as the waterline evidence indicates. Added ballast should be stood off from the hull with a cushioning material if possible and must be secured. To me it looks like the boat was in too shallow a slip for the boat and it sat on the bottom quite frequently at low tide. It looks like about two years worth of growth.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 06:05   #74

I just walked our marina this morning. Couple of hundred boats, and almost all were leaning one way or the other.

I just filled our diesel tank the other day, and it gave us a little list, just doing that.
Old 18-05-2021, 06:42   #75
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

an empty water tank and full fuel tank can easily cause the boat to heel. it does with mine. battery weight also comes into play here.

Tags
boat