It has been discussed a lot under negotiating before, and it's hard to put into words, but here are a few things:
-Know the market, know what boats have been sitting a long time, what ones haven't.
-Sellers almost always start out higher than they can sell for. Not because they are necessarily trying to get more, but brokers tell them high numbers or the seller is sure his is the "best one out there" and hasn't come to the realization that he's going to lose a bunch of money
-I think your 10-20% off is about right probably... but there are many that sell for a much deeper discount too.
-Popularity of the boat design is a factor. If it's a popular design and there aren't many out there for sale
, 10% is probably best you are gong to get.
-If the boat has been sitting a long time, the more you are going to get off.
-My best efforts have been from knowing the market, on boats that have been listed for quite a while, and a big one; on boats that have competition.
-It helps to get to know the selling broker
a bit. Find 2 similar or identical boats. Find one that is listed low that may be dirty, outdated equiptment etc. Use that boat to discount the nice one.
Sitting at the broker's, talk with him. Act like you cant decide between the two boats. Often the broker
has no idea what the other boat actually is. I might start out this way: "I really cant decide, I like both these boats, the other one is 25% less money before negotiating,, but it's not as clean. That isn't worth $40k more $ to me though... DO you think this seller is ready to take a much lower offer? blah, blah, blah..."
You are setting him up. When you make an offer, make it with reasons (like I just noted) I might try an offer at 45% off listed price. The response will tell you a lot. If the seller comes down 5%, you aren't going to get a big discount. If the sell comes down 15-20% right from the get go you have a chance.
It's all very situation dependent though.
When I bought my catamaran
, I had looked at it before leaving Florida
to go home for the summer. At end of summer I negotiated and tentatively set up a purchase
subject to looking at the boat again when I returned to Fl in a couple weeks. When I returned, there was another identical year model also for sale
at the same broker. It was a far superior boat. Long story short I bought that one instead and had negotiating power.
My experience selling:
-Hans Christian 38, listed at $136k. (all others on the market were at that number more or less) 1.5 years later I closed a deal at $90k. Tired of paying moorage on a boat 3500 miles from me. (34% discount)
-44 foot cutter
negotiated to 110K from $120k. Had problems in survey
and bought for $65k.
I bought the house I'm currently in years ago by having a "buyer's auction". I couldn't decide between two houses. I told the broker I was going to offer on one and if not accepted I was going to offer on the other house.... and just keep that gong... so they would let the seller know that!