Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2016, 09:24   #46

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Boat brand decisions for eventual BW stuffs

I believe everyone will agree, to put it politely, the OP is pipe dreaming. Nothing wrong with that I guess.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 10:36   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I believe everyone will agree, to put it politely, the OP is pipe dreaming. Nothing wrong with that I guess.

I wouldn't call it pipe dreaming, as much as I would call it proper planning. My wife and I were looking at homes in Oahu for 800k, so to buy a boat would be considerably less, and you get to see more of the world..... and we were not planning on financing....

I live in a land locked state, so without selling my company, packing up, and moving to another state being able to sail on the ocean just isn't a viable option in my life. To sell out after the energy sector crashed would be a huge mistake too....

This is just the progression of my life. I have almost done everything there is to do on shore. From rappelling, to free climbing, to skydiving (gave up the last three in my mid to late 20's due to realizing that death was coming soon), to wakeboarding, which inspired kiteboarding (to take with me on vacation), to surfing when on vaca, snowboarding (30-50 days a season)... So ya... I am in my early 30's, its time to move on to bigger and better things so that I can come back and retire when I am old...

You're catching me at the point where I am weighing out options, but this will happen sooner rather than later. We all have to start some where, and I always start with a google search first.

Scuba diving - I think I will be fine, it looks amazing, to become a master diver doesn't really require much, and the gear isn't ridiculously priced. I have done much scarier things in my life, it looks like a breeze to be honest.

I have to have a boat that has enough storage for my #1 passion. Board sports...

I would be a certified diesel mechanic before leaving port, would also gain knowledge of EVERY electronic on my boat, wiring schematics for the ship, etc. Im a go hard person. I go harder than anyone at the gym, at work, at anything. My personality type is unlike anything you have ever experienced, or maybe you're the same way, I'm not sure lol... I liken sailing the world as packing my own chute. I am literally taking my life, and anyone else's life into my own hands, and not to be too cocky, but I've been there, done that hundreds of times in this life..

Your comment was polite, but still, well, I am curious why you're even a member of the forums when your profile states you do not even own a boat... I have an 09 Air Nautique lol, I am basically closer to this "pipe dream" than you are. No offense.
Asus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 10:58   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asus View Post
I wouldn't call it pipe dreaming, as much as I would call it proper planning. My wife and I were looking at homes in Oahu for 800k, so to buy a boat would be considerably less, and you get to see more of the world..... and we were not planning on financing....

I live in a land locked state, so without selling my company, packing up, and moving to another state being able to sail on the ocean just isn't a viable option in my life. To sell out after the energy sector crashed would be a huge mistake too....

This is just the progression of my life. I have almost done everything there is to do on shore. From rappelling, to free climbing, to skydiving (gave up the last three in my mid to late 20's due to realizing that death was coming soon), to wakeboarding, which inspired kiteboarding (to take with me on vacation), to surfing when on vaca, snowboarding (30-50 days a season)... So ya... I am in my early 30's, its time to move on to bigger and better things so that I can come back and retire when I am old...

You're catching me at the point where I am weighing out options, but this will happen sooner rather than later. We all have to start some where, and I always start with a google search first.

Scuba diving - I think I will be fine, it looks amazing, to become a master diver doesn't really require much, and the gear isn't ridiculously priced. I have done much scarier things in my life, it looks like a breeze to be honest.

I have to have a boat that has enough storage for my #1 passion. Board sports...

I would be a certified diesel mechanic before leaving port, would also gain knowledge of EVERY electronic on my boat, wiring schematics for the ship, etc. Im a go hard person. I go harder than anyone at the gym, at work, at anything. My personality type is unlike anything you have ever experienced, or maybe you're the same way, I'm not sure lol... I liken sailing the world as packing my own chute. I am literally taking my life, and anyone else's life into my own hands, and not to be too cocky, but I've been there, done that hundreds of times in this life..

Your comment was polite, but still, well, I am curious why you're even a member of the forums when your profile states you do not even own a boat... I have an 09 Air Nautique lol, I am basically closer to this "pipe dream" than you are. No offense.
You will not find a habitable home on Oahu for $800k. Well maybe an 800 sq. foot single wall shack, but not in a neighborhood you will be comfortable in. Need to start at 1.4 million or look at condos; but then you will be dealing with small space, high monthly fees, and again strange neighbors.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 11:14   #49
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with a pipe dream. Mine comes to a point in a couple months after 8+ years of dream planning. I had never sailed at the start of the pipe dream and when from 0 sailing to owning a 39' boat with only ASA lesson and 3 months of weekend day sailing.

What I am saying when I say you don't really know what you want in a boat till after you have spend time sailing is based on my experience. Even with all the reading and web research we didn't get the right boat the first time and knew within a couple of months. Books etc. sell either dreams or fear, but do little to teach you about what is important about a CRUISING boat.

My recommendation is to spend cruising time on boats before you overthink what you want on a boat (forget "needs" all boats in good condition will take care of your needs as long as you maintain some common sense). But, I know getting time on boats isn't as easy as it is to write so - make your first boat a boat that you believe will "do it" for you but isn't expected to be "the one". Chose a boat size, model, and price range that is popular so it will be reasonably easy to sell later and expect to lose 15% plus whatever the maintenance costs were for the boat. This is the cost of boating. During your time on the boat note what you like, dislike, and how you really sail and live-aboard the boat.

Then get you next boat and name it "The One".
Old 14-06-2016, 11:39   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
You will not find a habitable home on Oahu for $800k. Well maybe an 800 sq. foot single wall shack, but not in a neighborhood you will be comfortable in. Need to start at 1.4 million or look at condos; but then you will be dealing with small space, high monthly fees, and again strange neighbors.
I have found several homes near Navmag Peral Harbor West Loch for under 800k, but homes on the N shore are ridiculous. 800k seemed to get you a liveable home. I mean it wouldn't be any where as nice as our home on the mainland, but it will due for sure. I would spend literally all of my time in the ocean, and exploring, so as long as the house isn't a shack, I'm alright lol. I am a contractor, so remodel wouldn't be an issue. Material might be more, but I saw mainly move in ready homes around our price range.

I couldn't do the condo thing. I hate tall building, and elevators. I get panic attacks when going over overpasses. Not to mention when it's time to fix things in the complex I would be pissed if the HOA sent me a bill for 50k to rewire the building. I can only imagine the sneaky surprises that could arise from owning a condo. Man made structures for what ever reason freak me out. The overpasses in Dallas literally make me crap my pants. We have to pack adult diapers when I drive there.

My biggest concern is land rights. We would definitely want Fee simple, but I don't know. I literally know nothing about buying a house in HI, so it seemed like more research, and actually talking to a real estate agent was the next logical step.

I also have never lived there, touristy areas aside. I just have read that the local population isn't so friendly to white folk, and I would hate to have to go hands on with some loser local over him beating a dog (a viral video I saw), or people trying to run me out of their (surf spot), not to mention having to brush elbows with the homeless every day. I don't know, I'm kind of weird.

For the most part I can get a long with anyone. I don't care if I am living next door to a multi-generational household. I literally only care about surfing. I mean sure I would probably go pig hunting there, smoke a side of ribs, and kiss ass to the neighbors by giving them smoked ribs, but other than that I am there to surf.
Old 14-06-2016, 11:47   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
There's nothing wrong with a pipe dream. Mine comes to a point in a couple months after 8+ years of dream planning. I had never sailed at the start of the pipe dream and when from 0 sailing to owning a 39' boat with only ASA lesson and 3 months of weekend day sailing.

What I am saying when I say you don't really know what you want in a boat till after you have spend time sailing is based on my experience. Even with all the reading and web research we didn't get the right boat the first time and knew within a couple of months. Books etc. sell either dreams or fear, but do little to teach you about what is important about a CRUISING boat.

My recommendation is to spend cruising time on boats before you overthink what you want on a boat (forget "needs" all boats in good condition will take care of your needs as long as you maintain some common sense). But, I know getting time on boats isn't as easy as it is to write so - make your first boat a boat that you believe will "do it" for you but isn't expected to be "the one". Chose a boat size, model, and price range that is popular so it will be reasonably easy to sell later and expect to lose 15% plus whatever the maintenance costs were for the boat. This is the cost of boating. During your time on the boat note what you like, dislike, and how you really sail and live-aboard the boat.

Then get you next boat and name it "The One".
My comment was not pointed at you, more at the grumpy person @ the top.

Ya I totally agree with everything you've said, and I kind of already knew all of that just from reading online.

I am still a couple years of research away. I would / could never go into something like this blindly. Before I bought / sailed away in a boat I would literally have to know everything about the ship, it's just how I operate.

I mean realistically my plan is to sail around S of FL for a year, and from there I would have my boat shipped to the West Coast, and then cross the Pacific. The first year would be sufficient time to figure out if we really want to sail across the Pacific.
Old 14-06-2016, 11:47   #52

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

Your reply was polite also till that point. No I don't own a boat any longer. Neck surgery that went awry put me on the hill. I donated the last boat to a non profit. And I'm 73 sometimes you need to make hard decisions.

I said day dreaming because obviously you had not had any experience. Quit frankly I don't care about your finances or packing your own shoot. Not germane to your OP. Get some experience the come back and ask the same question. I guarantee no one here wishes you ill but you are wasting your time with that sort of OP.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 17:05   #53

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Don'tlisten to all the nonsense.

You need an Amel!

If I was in your shoes, I would also consider a Beneteau 57... best built Bene ever, fast and Bene lost their shorts on eveyone they sold. It is one of those exceptions you want to investigate.

GL
The guy has never sailed before and his first boat should be 57 feet?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 17:10   #54

Boat: Swan 432

I am going to go against the grain here. Buy a cheapie boat around 30 feet long, something fairly responsive but sturdy enough to start coastal cruising. Spend a year learning how to sail before shopping for a big boat. We jumped from a Catalina 30 to a Beneteau 36"7 and that boat seemed huge, same again when we moved up to 43 feet.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 02:10   #55

You might want to think about safety more explicitly. Lots of the stuff you want to bring will only fit on deck -- unless you buy a very big boat indeed.
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 03:58   #56

Boat: no boat any more

"You may not like the sailing lifestyle once you get into it. A lot of folks do not."

have this printed out for you in 15" letters & hang it on any wall in your house/flat big enough - in case you forget!
It's the most valuable contribution for you in this thread by far!!!
(don't forget: this is the "cruiser" forum, not the "broken cruiser-dreams" forum - that would be 100 times as voluminous!)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 05:42   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
The guy has never sailed before and his first boat should be 57 feet?
Well bigger is better, so perhaps a 68 foot Oyster? Heck with an unlimited check book might even look at a nice 98 foot feadship.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 06:36   #58

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

The age of the SUPER CRUISER
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 17:49   #59

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
I have read the original post in this thread and nothing else and would reply to the author that you are too ignorant even to take up a stool in the yacht club bar let alone engage us in conversation. So, get outta here and educate yourself to the point where you can ask a question without unwittingly embarrassing yourself or us.

Paul, unapologetically.
Hi OP,

This is Paul on just about every post he comes up with. Don't be offended.

Tom
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 20:55   #60

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Let's see, I'm 7 or 8 boats in over time and finally was able to refine what I needed to cruise the way I'd like. Boats are extremely personal and very particular to one's own needs and wants. Charter a few in the carribean, larger, smaller, aft cockpit, center cockpit, maybe a cat? See what fits your lifestyle. Without experience it's tough to decide, so many options. I wasn't a center cockpit guy, until marrying again and adding two kids to the equation, but everyone's needs define their application. Get some sailing time in, there are many different ways to do so without having to buy a boat. OPO, for instance, it's a clearing house for boats looking for crew for passages, transports, etc. You can step on and sail many different boats both on short hops and long ocean passages, depends on what you would like to try. You can try several different boats and possibly sail with more experienced live aboard sailors which allows you to pick their brains. Not a bad way to get a view of the reality of living aboard and sail some nifty boats. During the east coast show season there are also numerous opportunities to crew on transits from show to show.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote