Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2011, 16:15   #16

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Bluewater Cruiser, or Not ?

I have been sailing for 20 plus years and completely agree that being safe is up to the captain of the boat and ignoring weather and other warnings of bad weather is just not good judgment. The captain is responsible for the safety and well being of everybody on board. I don't plan on living aboard at least not in the next five to ten years, but i could be in the future and I wouldn't mind doing it. The wife on the other hand with three cats and a dog might be more of an issue.
It's too bad that there isn't a easy way to come up with a list of boats and just test them out to see what works out best for the buyer without waisting a brokers time or your own money. If there is anybody in the New England area with any of these boats I have listed willing to take my wife and I out for a sail it would be greatly appriciated.

Dave
ddsailor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 17:21   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus

Hello

If you like the Bristol 35.5, but are looking for a comfortable, roomy, blue water cruiser, you might want to consider the Wauquiez Hood 38.

They are fast, very strong and very confortable down below. Build quality is excellent and they give an amazingly comfortable ride. Many (as well as their more expensive sistership, the Bristol 38.8) have circumnavigated.

Best of luck

John
Old 14-03-2011, 17:26   #18

I just want to say that no boat can withstand all that that nature can throw at them.You might as well have the boat that will meet your needs 90% of the time. Hopefully you won't be out there when you should not be. 1% of the time at least it will not matter what boat or what crew the end result will be bad If an island (Japan) can not stand up to the forces of nature how do think a boat will fare. And I do not think there was time to run and hide.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 05:04   #19

Maybe I should be a little more clear on what I mean by sailing in bad weather so people don't think that I'll be sailing through hurricanes or tsunami's just for fun. The reason I am looking for the kind of boat that I am is because when sailing in my current boat we start getting over powered in about 15 to 18 knts of wind. We'll reduce and we'll be good until about 25 knts. From there we really start getting beat up and we're just sailing under a small furled Genua that's about 90%. So. when the wind is predicted to blow around 20 to 25kts we have to make changes to our plans because it's just unsafe for us to sail a 8 to 10 hour sail to come home. It would be nice to be able to put in a single or double reef in with a stay sail up and be able to keep our plans and be reasonalble comfortable. I also have the ability in my job to take summers off, so alot of cruising can be done there and potentially Bermuda someday.
So, do I expect a boat the keep me alive if I'm an idiot and sail through the perfect storm or a tsunami. (which are a little hard to predict) No. What I do expect is that if the winds are suppose to blow 15 to 20kts and the actual is 30kts after we get out there that we can get home safely. I hope that's not asking to much of a cruiser or just a larger boat then our current 29'er.
Old 15-03-2011, 05:28   #20

Boat: Baba 35, Play Actor

Given your taste in boats, you should take a look at the Babas and Tashibas.
Play Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 05:43   #21

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsailor25 View Post
. From there we really start getting beat up and we're just sailing under a small furled Genua that's about 90%. .
This could be part of why you feel "over powered" by the weather; in most cases headsails loose their shape when the furling gear is used to reef, even if it's just a few turns of the drum. Roller furling works well to roll the sail all the way up but not so well for reducing the the size of the sail.

Why don't you try a working jib and a reefed main next time the winds are over 20kts. ? You might be surprised to find your 29'er will actually sail well in those conditions with the proper sail combination.
Old 15-03-2011, 06:03   #22

I know the boat would sail better with a working jib, but the hard part is if the wind picks up and your not expecting it. Changing a head sail while getting bounced around isn't my idea of a fun time. Plus, the wife has a hard time controling the boat in seas if I'm on deck. I think transitioning to a boat with wheel steering with all the controls at the helm for her would make thing easier and safer.
Bud, those Tashibas are nice boats, but a little out of my price range. Plus, if I can stay away from the teak decks I will. The cost is just too high if they need replacing. I don't want to be boat poor.
Old 15-03-2011, 06:27   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
jeepers, the underbody is out of the steam age ( barn door rudders - please)

Dave
Beautiful, isn't it!!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, water