Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2016, 05:15   #1

Boat: no boat any more
Bluewater Cruiser Brainstorm

used
elan 37
elan 380
elan 410
salona 37
salona 40
first 40.7
dufour 40
imx 40
c&c115

your thoughts on suitablility for bluewater cruising...
(our profile: 60/58, three circumnavigations on tradewind-route in 80ies & 90ies)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 06:45   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: bluewater cruiser brainstorm

Was cheekirafiki NOT a 40.7???

In my case, Salona would be out of the game from the start.

You must see actual boats too - I mean actual condition. Imagine you set your mind on brand XYZ only later to find not a single sound hull of these is still on the market.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 07:03   #3

afaik she was a 40.7...(all the other 799 f40.7 kept their keels though...but you are right, it's a worrying little voice in the back of ones mind)
sure one would have to take a close look, but this is a preliminary selection based on budget & personal preferences -& it seems doubtful that we wouldn't be able to find a single sound specimen of the whole selection of 10 models...right now even a cursory search finds upwards of 80 boats...
& why oust the salonas from the selection? (xtra sturdy stainless steel florrgrid...)
Old 17-05-2016, 07:55   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

On any of your selections, you will also need a 3rd CM... a dentist to repair your lost teeth fillings... IMO of course :-)
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 07:55   #5

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
On any of your selections, you will also need a 3rd CM... a dentist to repair your lost teeth fillings... IMO of course :-)
LoL!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 11:19   #6

it is a very preliminary "selection", a "sniffing of the market" - suggestions please! (a few points we'd like: 10 years old at the most!, all-up-budget (incl. "refit", the works): €150 000 (preferably less), fibreglass, leadkeel, 2-2,4m draft, "contemporary looks", as far as possible solid fibreglass, no sandwich, sloop of course.
nono: longitudinal pantry opposite the salon, teakdeck, center cockpit, "full keel", "retro" looks
Old 17-05-2016, 13:27   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
afaik she was a 40.7...(all the other 799 f40.7 kept their keels though...but you are right, it's a worrying little voice in the back of ones mind)
sure one would have to take a close look, but this is a preliminary selection based on budget & personal preferences -& it seems doubtful that we wouldn't be able to find a single sound specimen of the whole selection of 10 models...right now even a cursory search finds upwards of 80 boats...
& why oust the salonas from the selection? (xtra sturdy stainless steel florrgrid...)
One lost keel but not the only one with structural problems in keel area. At least this is what I believe I have read in the report.

Having had some experience helping prep out a newish Salona for an Atlantic passage, I would not make my own passages in a Salona.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 17:43   #8

Re: Bluewater Cruiser Brainstorm

You might take a look at this calculator, which allows you to quickly compare two boats at a time in terms of SA/D, D/LWL, Capsize Screening Number, Motion Comfort, etc.

-- Seneca
KISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 19:32   #9

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

you've done three circumnavigations and you're asking a forum what kind of boat is capable?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 00:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
you've done three circumnavigations and you're asking a forum what kind of boat is capable?
(the question was NOT "which boat is capable"! it was what people (hopefully in the know) think about the boats in our "preliminary selection", thats a big difference!)
1. we've been "stranded" now for 17 years
2. no matter how many miles - those were just TWO boats, & very different ones from present designs (one was a 34' wharram cat I built mayself, the second one-trip 2 & 3 - was a 37' 82-vintage french aluminium keelboat, sort of cruiser-racer-style of the day)
3. no matter how many miles I've done myself - I value somebody else's experience

@barnakiel: any particularly striking deficiency that gets the salona such a low "rating"?
Old 18-05-2016, 05:37   #11

Well personally I really like the Salona boats. They seem on par with the new Bene's and Jeanneau's, however I am not quite sure of the implications of having a steel part of the floor encased in fiberglass. I am thinking long term maintenance. The Salonas also only offer racing rigs I am pretty sure (no roller furling main, etc.)
Old 18-05-2016, 07:54   #12

the frame is stainless (on the x-yachts it's galvanized, but this seems to last veryvery long too). & all the secondhand salonas have rollerfurling headsails (also this is just a question of price, I'd actually prefer to fit a new furler myself rather than having to check an existing one).
Old 18-05-2016, 08:34   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
the frame is stainless (on the x-yachts it's galvanized, but this seems to last veryvery long too). & all the secondhand salonas have rollerfurling headsails (also this is just a question of price, I'd actually prefer to fit a new furler myself rather than having to check an existing one).
I was talking about the mainsail. In any case, I know they are more set up as a racer/weekend cruiser. For extended offshore passages, the tankage might be a little low but of course that's always fixable. I hear they are freight trains to windward.
Old 19-05-2016, 00:20   #14

btw: any mainsail-furler - in-mast, behind-mast, in-boom) would be a near 100% nono (right now I cannot imagine what the boat would have to offer to make up for that...)
we personally always felt that weatherlyness in bluewatercruisers was vastly UNDERrated (we went north through the red sea 3 times & there were some stiff beats involved...
Old 19-05-2016, 04:45   #15
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
+1.oo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, water