Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 16:28   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
how common is it really to swamp the cockpit? Seems we worry about it a lot!
In 18,000 nms we have only had one half a wave fall into the cockpit, and that was really just slosh. Its drains straight out, unlike the older fashioned boats.
Our cockpit remains dry in storms. i.e. dry seats. Dry

What is difficult is going for drinks on someones boat and being stuck behind the wheel where I can't see anyone, or so squashed next to everyone else I wonder if I have had my monthly shower.

There is reality. You will have to make up your mind what is really important to you: a life sitting in a cockpit with your ankles around your ears and old fashioned design ideas.

In live aboard cruising, for me, the large, useful, dry cockpit is absolutly essential.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 16:43   #17
CLOD

Boat: none
Thanks Mark! I've been thinking this is another of those "everyone knows because they read it" things. Right up there with the perfect storm.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 16:59   #18

Center cockpit, the larger the better; with good drainage, high combings and a strong elevated hatch. If you've looked at CYMs then you might want to look at Endeavours, Irwins and Island Packets; CYM cousins. Remember, a well designed cockpit won't help if you don't have a tall gunwaled, wide beamed (@ waterline) boat . The math is simple. No boat will withstand a broach or beam wave with a height greater than 55% of it's length, regardless of it's size, but tall beamy boats have a better chance of recovery and the safest place to be is tied down in a big cockpit.
PS They're also great for entertaining and quiet dinning.
Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 17:07   #19

Boat: a sailing boat
My two cents:

- if aft + if open = can be large OK, bracing is an issue often, (e.g. OVNIS are OK in this respect)
- if aft and not open = PLS small and protected from behind (say something we can see in a Hans Christian,
- if central = PLS not too high up (motion).

So, no one perfect design, just a lot of common sense, protection for the driver and faaast draining.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 18:17   #20

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
We have a CC...it was constantly full of about 2" of water sloshing around in a gale here last year...I will be upgrading drains to 2" from its current 1 1/4" some day ( way down the list right now) none of this was from anything other then walls of wind blown bow plunges going to weather...we were soaked to the bone after a couple hours head to toe..so don't think just cause your looking at a CC that you will stay dryer...as it's not so...you are closer to the splashy end...But we love the cc design and it is my favored one of the two for a cruiser due to the gain in below deck real estate. and command view at anchor
It will seat up to 10 and 7 comfortably.

The Bimini is a love hate relationship..You cant see the sails worth a darn and affects leeward visibility on a heel but its great for shade and rain which we have been knowen to get a fair amount of around here...and as others have stated when enclosed is another room to the boat..It passed that 47 knot gale sail without hardly more then a shimmer.

I would not venture very far offshore with out having a very good hard dodger capable of splitting boarding waves built for this boat..I learned that lesson well..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0239.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	12422   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0249-1.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	12423  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 18:29   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Why are those kids wearing furry ear thingies????????????

We just sail in swimmers or board shorts.

You have a weird family.

Old 06-01-2010, 21:06   #22

Boat: pilot cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Why are those kids wearing furry ear thingies????????????

We just sail in swimmers or board shorts.

You have a weird family.
I for one would like to see you sail Puget Sound in the dead of winter in only "swimmers or board shorts". OK, not actually you...but the misses would suffice.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:34   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I think if I was going to travel with kids I wouls want a center cockpit boat. When you're in it, you're in it.

On another note; how common is it really to swamp the cockpit? Seems we worry about it a lot!
Not that common unless you're in the sh*t and then perhaps all too common. It's only happened to me about four times, all within the stretch of about 36 hours.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:31   #24

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Had it happen to us twice.. the first time the wave just broke over the side and it fill the cockpit...
But the second time, North out of San Francisco, we had spent the night waiting out a storm in Drakes Bay, but the water didnt settle down and more was on the way so we made a run for Bodega Bay and safe water.. Didnt happen.. as we were rounding the lighthouse at Point Reys, we had a wave break over the top of the boat, above the bimini... we were setting under the dodger with the autohelm on and the strength of the wave was enough that it tore the dodger lose from the boat, and filled the cockpit, and most of what didnt go over the side went down the companion way as we didnt have the boards in.. The boat had about 6 inches of water on the sole...
We spent the next couple hours making circles picking up stuff that was knocked off the boat including the dink and our fenders..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 13:44   #25

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
I too have only ever had water in the cockpit a few times and with good drains that should not be much of a concern. People need to be comfortable cruising whether at anchor or underway. I sail with 3 kids, and they tend to spend a lot less time in the cockpit than I do. They are usually on deck or down below. I think since we have one of those center cockpits with a hard dodger they don't see out as well as they do on deck. What can I tell you, they're short. I would recommend if you don't have a large cockpit, you'll want a boat with usuable deck space. Some boats have a sloping cabing top that doesn't allow for much good lounging.
I would never cruise on a boat that didn't allow me to lie tucked in the cockpit and able to read comfortably.
TAREUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 16:18   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAREUA View Post
I would never cruise on a boat that didn't allow me to lie tucked in the cockpit and able to read comfortably.
We often sleep at night at anchor in the cockpit. Me more than Nic. Probably 50% of nights here in Asia so the cockpit needs to be full length for my gangly legs.

Quote:
sneuman: four times, all within the stretch of about 36 hours.
Thats what I mean, I can hack a bad 36 hours for the sake of 10 years of comfort

Old 07-01-2010, 17:11   #27

IF it worries you, the open transom is an option and very convenient too (except when that fish slides out the back after you catch him! I say: go for the huge cockpit and avoid the storm of the century! I hate cramped cockpits... do you drive a Hummer or F250 on the freway to stay safe?
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 17:26   #28

Big or small, what are we talking about here? I agree with most of what's being said here; big enough to stretch out on, have a snooze, do the deed, and relax after? Our center cockpit measures 11' x 7' inside with a 6' x 3' well and a 6" sill on for the hatch with room for the instrument stuffed binnacle and a folding table ; when we're out, everyone (including the dogs) are lounging around and at least 2 can be catching some ZZZ's and 6 can sit at the table for sandwiches, soup and wine (or whatever). Our cockpit area adds nearly 80 square feet to our living area and is our living room or parlor when at dock and our skyline viewpoint when cruising. There's lots of stowage beneath the cushions and we're good to go.....so what is the optimal "size".

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 17:27   #29

Boat: a sailing boat
open cockpit

Probably many ways to build a cockpit, also an open one. But a well built one is a no worries solution - just look at VOR boats.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 20:04   #30

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Short answer: none

Opens up huge space below. Boat is stronger without one. Sail without one and discover that you don't need it at all. Then if you have no engine, you have an extra stateroom below. No standing headroom, but it is mostly bed, anyhow.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote