Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2010, 11:47   #76

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
here's another video of a sailboat riding out big waves
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 18:31   #77

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober
Strange vid. Huge waves ,but it seems very little wind,as if the boat is wallowing just outside of a bar. Who/how did the filming?
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 18:41   #78

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce smith View Post
Strange vid. Huge waves ,but it seems very little wind,as if the boat is wallowing just outside of a bar. Who/how did the filming?
Definitely looks like he lacks steerageway.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 20:37   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
My guess is that those are around 12 to 14 foot waves. I have seen this video before and thought that those waves looked close to what my daughter and I experienced on one trip.

I had not noticed the wind, you are right it looks relatively light.

I would suspect that this is the tail end of a gale, that they had shortened sail to ride out the breeze, and have not yet adjusted to pick up some steerage. Perhaps they are on a lee shore.

They don't look like bar breakers to me at all. But perhaps he is in a shoaling area.

It looks like an uncomfortable ride, and somewhat dangerous.

When we were in those waves we had a good bit of sail up and were doing hull speed +. Steerage was not a problem. Fishing nets were.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 20:56   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyinframes View Post
hi there everyone
this is my first post on this site. I am eager to learn from experienced members/boat-owners that which ocean going monohull boats can be obtained in a moderate budget of 37k-50k USD. length 31-36ft. looks are not an issue :-) i am interested in boat having good seakeeping qualities. after having searched many sites, i find only Catalinas fitting my budget.
Nauticats, Halberg Rossy are pretty expensive. so please advise.

Speaking of South African boats, anyone familiar with these? Broker says he is looking for an offer.

1983 Lello Sloop offers! Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 00:08   #81

if you read the comments on the youtube regarding the boat in the high waves, someone said that it is a \german boat...they'd some damage...and was filmed by rescue chopper or som,ething.
i didnt read it fully so not up to date with details.
Old 24-11-2010, 00:25   #82

Quote:
if you read the comments on the youtube regarding the boat in the high waves, someone said that it is a \german boat...they'd some damage...and was filmed by rescue chopper or som,ething.
i didnt read it fully so not up to date with details.
What a broken down German boat in need of rescue that is not a Bavaria OMG.

Perhaps the BWB struck and broke it rudder on submerged Bavaria that sunk when the winds exceeded 20kts and the sea 2 meters.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 01:32   #83

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch
Quote:
hi there everyone
this is my first post on this site. I am eager to learn from experienced members/boat-owners that which ocean going monohull boats can be obtained in a moderate budget of 37k-50k USD. length 31-36ft. looks are not an issue :-) i am interested in boat having good seakeeping qualities. after having searched many sites, i find only Catalinas fitting my budget.
Nauticats, Halberg Rossy are pretty expensive. so please advise.
If I walk down the dock I see plenty of boats I would be willing to go to sea on, but only a few that I would want to own. My point is that we all have likes and dislikes beyond the Angle of Vanishing Stability, style of hull etc. Interior layout, finish and sail plan are important to most people. BUY A BOAT YOU LIKE rather than one that has the best stats.

We all know we can't afford the best boat to ride out a Cyclone. Virginia class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why don't you find a broker who is willing to show you a bunch of boats. Perhaps you will fall in love with one that meets the criteria stated.

Jerin
ahnutts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 09:57   #84

Why don't you find a broker who is willing to show you a bunch of boats. Perhaps you will fall in love with one that meets the criteria stated.

Hi Jerin,

recommend me some good agents on the east coast.
i did call one or two agents but they said they have boats only in 100K+ range while there are so many pearsons, albergs in 30-50k range.
Old 24-11-2010, 10:27   #85

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
storyinframes: I have not had digital technology before this building project, so I do not have computer photos of my earlier boats, except for the faering pics on my profile page on this website. My current cutter project will eventually be on a blog, but is not yet. I do not know the SC 35s. Are they full keel, rudder attached, etc.? If not, the earlier comments about weather predictions hold true. the aluminum hull was the cheapest and easiest to maintain of any I have owned or sailed in, including GRP/FRP [the Brits are more accurate in their labeling of these boats, as they are glass reinforced plastic or fiberglass reinforced plast, but by all means, plastic]. Getting a boat custom built is EXPENSIVE in any material. Take a set of plans to several yards and get quotes. Alternatively, you can do what I have advised on many occasions. Build a ten foot pram. Then build a 15 foot sailboat. Then build a thirty. Read R D Culler's work. His advise applies, no matter the medium you build in. Own and virtually memorize the boatbuilding/sailmaiking/rigging manuals of the masters. Rigging: Rigger's Apprentice by Brian Toss Sailmaking: Sailmaker's Apprentice by Emiliano Marino [arguably the finest DIY book in print for any subject] Boatbuilding: Culler, Chapelle, Colvin, Brent Swain [often on this website and this thread] and for cheap building - Buehler. The money it costs you to build the smaller boats will be SAVED in the construction of the larger ones. I built a 26' sharpie in order to find out if I wanted to build a 38' sharpie. The 26 footer cost me 4 thousand to build, and it saved me the 15 it would have cost me to build the 38 footer, because I didn't like the sharpie for cruising and so I didn't build it. Money well spent. I gave the sharpie away. And make no mistake - I am not a wealthy man in money. I live on a very small income - happily.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 10:48   #86
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
what has the video got to do with the debate!

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 11:05   #87
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
makes 'modern' boats viable, whereas fifty years ago they would have been (and WERE) considered deathtraps for cruisers.
This is just nonsense, it ignores decades of improvement in material science, hydrodynamics, finite stress analysis, aerodynamics etc.

The "average " modern boat is infintely better designed, stronger and safer then the "average" boat 50-60 years ago. Simple fact, because if they wernt theyd be at the bottom of the ocean which they arnt. In fact 50 year ago circumnavigation ( in fact yachting in general) were the preserve of the very few. Take boats like francis chicester clark boat Gipsey Moth , which he viewed as a complete dog.Old does not mean better at all.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 12:13   #88

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober
Respectfully have to disagree Dave. Modern engineering has made 'em faster, but no less able to get clobbered at sea. My point is that they survive, even thrive, cuz they do not GET clobbered .
Given the choice of making a boat the same weight but twice as strong ,or the same strength but half the weight,well, racing influence is seen in the latter.
Chichester was not exactly cruising.
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 12:39   #89

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Agree with Bruce Smith.

If Hunter and Beneteau (just to name two) were serious about cruising they would put handholds in their cabins. But they don't.

Give me a break with this crap about "improvement in material science, hydrodynamics, finite stress analysis, aerodynamics etc." If you've got nothing to hold onto in rough weather, none of it is worth a damn anyway.

Frankly, if I ever buy a "modern" boat it will likely be a cat, not a monohull. With a cat, you don't need handholds that much (just an escape hatch lol).
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 13:22   #90
CLOD

Boat: none
same old crap agruements
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote