Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2016, 11:44   #1

Boat: Grampian 26 SOLD! & (pending sea trial) Catalina 42 MkII
Thumbs up Blue Water Monohull Choice

Our plans: Halifax-Azores-Gibralter in summer 2018 followed by 3-5 years in the Med. The Canaries to the Caribbean for 2-3 years then home. Transits will involve minimum 4 crew-cruising will be doublehanded.

I have been following this forum daily for 3 years, have been investigating the boat purchase question near daily for 2 years and have personally inspected 40-odd cats (PDQ-Pajot) and monos (Corbin and other heavy 'blue water' types) in Florida and throughout the Great Lakes. Our boat budget of $US90k narrows our monohull field to the relatively modern Beneteau 373 and Catalina 380. The choices amongst older boats has been refined to Morgan Catalina 43 CC and Gulfstar 44 CC.

Assuming the proper complement of kit aboard (AIS, life raft, water maker, solar, wind, perhaps wind vane), which of these boats would you select for this journey and why...and if you have other suggestions, they would be much appreciated.

I am grateful to be able to finally tap into the knowledge levels in this forum to help us make a final choice. I look forward to your views and opinions.

cheers
Dave
Lake Ontario
Divevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 12:10   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Blue Water Monohull Choice

Gulfstar 44. Bigger than the others, built like a brick &#^$house. It's also reputed to handle very well in rough weather. And it's a good looking boat.

I've been on a few. The build quality is higher than what you'll find on the other boats, IMHO, if it's an 80's boat. The 70's boats were a little sketchy.

That said, it's a function of "all other things being equal". You've looked at 40 boats and no doubt have started to appreciate a couple of salient things: 1) Every boat is in different condition 2) Older boats can require more refitting 3) Newer production boats can require more frequent refits (depending on what they are refit with).
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 19:07   #3

While this one is not on your list and the asking price is above your budget I would seriously consider it for your purposes. The split rig may come in handy during shorthanded cruising. The asking price seems a bit high but I believe this boat having been for sale for a few months or longer is ready for a realistic offer, assuming of course the description matches her condition.

1980 Mariner 47 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 22:51   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Within your budget, you should find Amel Maramu's... very well built with knowledgeable followers. Big self help websites
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull, water