Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2016, 11:57   #16

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Black Hulls?

This has been debated a lot - I spoke to one man who had brokered boats for many years and sailed everywhere, and he told me that the ambient temperature of the water affects heat inside the boat more than anything else, and that it would take so long for the sun on a dark hull to really make a difference that by the time it did, it would already be dipping below the horizon anyway. By that same token, that means you couldn't really count on it warming you up much in colder latitudes either.

In my limited experience in darker boats, either blue or green, I didn't notice any difference.

Regardless, I am sure that insulation has a big effect on this - with a bare hull, you would feel the heat a bit more.

My advice - get the boat you want! Don't let this be a factor unless you are evenly split between two boats with different colored hulls. You can always paint it.
Rohan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 12:40   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You may enjoy reading many, many more comments on this same subject of "dark hulls" in the archived (previous) threads on that topic:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ull&gsc.page=1

I am posting this since you wrote in your OP that you did not find anything when searching CF.

I will also send you (or anyone who wants to know) a PM with some tips on more effective searching of CF with the best easy method I have found and use myself.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 13:03   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If you paint a white boat some darker colour, every single little scratch will show up like a neon sign... and in the real world, scratches happen.

Jim
Old 24-10-2016, 13:15   #19

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

In terms of heat, the last time this hull color topic came up (maybe 3 months back), the numbers showed that darker colored hulls absorb a good 50% more heat. Which to me is a lot. And common sense tells you the same about what's wise if you're trying to keep something cool. Regardless of whether it's a vertical surface or a horizontal one. As you're comparing apples to apples.

Besides, there's plenty of bite in the sun as it's rising, & when it's setting.

When properly applied, & well cared for, dark colors like Navy blue tend to look great. But how much upkeep do you want to do on her... from the dinghy, while leaning against her hot topsides? And fresh water will likely be needed in order to keep her looking sharp, so that washing & rinsing her doesn't leave salt stains when you're done. It's worth thinking on.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 13:56   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep there is an earlier thread. Search more.

We have a black hull (grp). We sailed the tropics. No problems.

Our boat has about 1/2 inch of homemade insulation on the topsides (eva foam sheets, EUR 10 per 10 ft sq). Our roof/cabin are foam sandwich. No teak, no threadmaster, just plain white cream gelcoat diamonds. Typical Scandinavian cheapo finish (same like Albins, Ifs, etc.)

Yes. It is likely somewhat warmer than a white hull.

Most heat comes thru the deck, not via the topsides. Tropical sun is nearly vertical. You want a white deck and some canvas over the cockpit too. Plenty of mosquito nets over the hatches and the companionway and the hatches big and wide open (at anchor, sure). No teak, no threadmaster, no colored painted decks, no steel and no alloy (unless painted white).

I would buy a black hull again. I would buy a white one too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 14:11   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Sorry if this is already a thread, I searched for it but couldn't find it
Strange, I clicked on Search in the menu bar and entered Black Hull in the Google Custom Search box and immediately found these threads on the first page of results:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ors-23481.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ea-171303.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rue-47824.html
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 14:25   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Clorox bottle hahaha! Nice! Yeah most of the boats I've seen that don't sail regularly looked like crap. Ugh, I may have to get over being so lazy
Work once, stay lazy for quit a while:

Tips For A Great Buff Wax | SailboatOwners.com Forums
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 14:29   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

I will also send you (or anyone who wants to know) a PM with some tips on more effective searching of CF with the best easy method I have found and use myself.
SH, you should really get the mods to make this a sticky and just link to it. You provide a wonderful service to new folks and folks who can't or won't figure out how to do it. Keep up the great work.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 14:30   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post

Regardless, I am sure that insulation has a big effect on this - with a bare hull, you would feel the heat a bit more.
I've cruised extensively over the past 20 years on both a light-hull (pale gray) and dark (navy)-hull boat in tropical waters.

As Rohan has pointed out... Just like a house, how hot the interior of the craft gets is primarily due to the level of insulation between the hull/deck and the interior. More insulation, less heat. In clear waters, even the color of your bottom paint can have an effect on interior temperatures.

Our current boat is has a flag blue hull, and yes, it does get perhaps a few degrees warmer for a couple of hours in the afternoon as the sun positions closer to the horizon. The rest of the day, the sun's rays are more directly hitting the deck and we have found that using a full-boat awning has reduced the interior heat by about 80%. This awning, to us, would be essential - regardless of the color of the hull. The design of the awning is also important because it needs to sit close enough to the deck to provide better coverage when the angle of the sun is lower - but also high enough to allow the breezes to reach the open hatches. Our dark Awlgrip-painted hull only gets 'waxed' once a year - it really is less work than the previous boat that had a light-tinted gel-coat finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1343.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	133723  
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 14:49   #25

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Skies View Post
I've cruised extensively over the past 20 years on both a light-hull (pale gray) and dark (navy)-hull boat in tropical waters.

As Rohan has pointed out... Just like a house, how hot the interior of the craft gets is primarily due to the level of insulation between the hull/deck and the interior. More insulation, less heat. In clear waters, even the color of your bottom paint can have an effect on interior temperatures.

Our current boat is has a flag blue hull, and yes, it does get perhaps a few degrees warmer for a couple of hours in the afternoon as the sun positions closer to the horizon. The rest of the day, the sun's rays are more directly hitting the deck and we have found that using a full-boat awning has reduced the interior heat by about 80%. This awning, to us, would be essential - regardless of the color of the hull. The design of the awning is also important because it needs to sit close enough to the deck to provide better coverage when the angle of the sun is lower - but also high enough to allow the breezes to reach the open hatches. Our dark Awlgrip-painted hull only gets 'waxed' once a year - it really is less work than the previous boat that had a light-tinted gel-coat finish.
Great looking boat and canvas, but what's with the 16 jerry cans?

Matt
Old 24-10-2016, 16:40   #26

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Hi

Interesting thread/s

I am just about to have our hulls wrapped in black. I considered heat soak and have asked for the wrap to stop short of the radius transition to the deck so the wrap will stop well short of the top.

I am sure the black will raise the temperature but not sure by how much. My hope is to control how much sun lands on the sides in the morning and afternoon so you can be warmer in winter and (optimistically) no different in summer.

Problems are you can't control your angle to the sun when sailing, at the marina or anchored in close proximity to other boats otherwise I think it will be Ok.
Old 24-10-2016, 17:07   #27

Boat: Albin Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
We have just completed the re-spraying project of our yacht which was previously all white - now with black sides and white decks. We are quite happy with the result and thus far people tell us that they have not noticed any additional internal heat. You can read about it in the blog section of our website.
WOW! That's not so much a yacht as a piece of art that you can sail! What a beauty! Kind of reminds me of a grand piano with that glossy black and white contrast and graceful curves, must just make you smile to look at it
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 17:24   #28

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Ketonomad,
The best looking boat in work yard last time we were there was black. Very striking. But I do think it can be more work. Money and work. I have none of one and avoid the other. But if you go tropical you may find you are too busy to sit inside anyway.
Old 24-10-2016, 17:25   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Work once, stay lazy for quit a while:

Tips For A Great Buff Wax | SailboatOwners.com Forums
Hello fellow Islander! Those are some beautiful photos in that how-to page you linked, definitely worthwhile. I think given the difficulty of even finding an old folkboat on the BC coast I will probably take what I can get. If it's black then I will know what to do!

Thinking of drydocking the boat while I'm off working initially. The boat will go untouched and unseen for months at first because of my work so a good clean and polish/wax before putting in would be less of a hassle for me than most who keep their hulls wet year round
Old 24-10-2016, 17:33   #30

Jeez this hull colour topic is a really black and white issue, hey? (Mar har har)

I suppose when the time comes to buy I will have to take what I can get. Hull colour can't really be a deal breaker where I live. I saw an Alberg 30 for sale the other day, tried to go see it when I was in the area but the seller didn't reply to my email until the next day and I was already en route to San Diego via Calgary by then so I tried to set up a viewing the next week and the boat was sold inside of five days! Jeez! Meanwhile on the Great lakes there seem to be a half dozen boats I like for sale cheap. I wonder if I can get a deal where one of my dropdeck hauling colleagues can trailer a boat and drive it out to the coast for cheaper. We don't have special boat hauling equipment but it can't hurt to ask. IIRC the guy I met with the steel sloop just hired a lowbed truck to haul his new home to the water.

Tags
hull