Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2014, 08:34   #1

Bilge Pumps Experience

Anybody have any recommendations or advice on which brand/type of bilge pump is the most bomb-proof. Usually electric connectors give in and the pump dies eventually. Cheers-
downwinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 08:47   #2

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft
Re: Bilge Pumps Experience

I use the Rule Mate with the float switch built in side as its protected. We have a small one in our shower sump for the last 17 years. I also highly recommend that you install a back up, 2 in each area, just in case the main does not work, and check them month. Also they should have an alarm.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 11:49   #3

Boat: Norsea 27

I got tired of pumps and switches that are located in the bilge failing. I installed a Jabsco diaphragm pump a couple of feet above the bilge and used a Grocco AS100 air pressure switch, like what your washing machine water level switch uses. So far it's worked great and the wiring is no where near the yuck.
rocksculpter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 12:55   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

It's a good idea to install redundant switches. They can be wired so that either of two switches will close the circuit. You could even wire it so it will light a fault lamp when one of them fails.

I don't have that set up, but I do have the Ultimate Junior bilge pump switches which are horrendously expensive, but supposed to be bomb-proof. So far no problems in four years or so.

For my maintenance pump, I use a Whale Supersub 1100 with the built in switch. Also no problems so far; knock on wood.

The crash pumps are the big Rule 4000 ones. Hard to install because they need a 2" hose. But they shift a lot of water. They've never really been used (thank God) but I test them regularly.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 07:58   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Rule 2500 built in float. I totally abused it.

Mounted with "glue" to the bottom of the engine bilge. Crimp connections (sometimes under skank-water)

I'm not proud but that bilge is skanky with oil and muck. Pump ran fine for 7 years. Float finally jammed up. Manual mode still works and pump is still a pumper.

Replacement has a separate float so next time I just replace the float.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 08:32   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I like Rocksculpter's idea. I've had my own pneumatic bilge pump switch functioning for the past 26 years with no electric wiring or moving parts in the bilge. My maintenance over this time has been to clean the plastic bell in the bilge once every few years and to reset the sensitivity of the diaphragm switch. The switch is activated when water rises within a plastic bell and therefore, increases the air pressure within a length of attached tygon tubing and then activating a diaphragm pressure switch that can be many feet distant.

Mine is a PAR Hydro-Air34875-0000 ITT Jabsco. The pump that is activated by this switch is a submersible Rule and it does have wire leads to the pump that will be in water at times. My secondary bilge pump is a self-priming diaphragm pump that sits well above the bilge and draws water with no wiring in the bilge. My third bilge pump is a manual pump without wiring.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, enc