Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2018, 20:15   #1

Boat: O’Day 40
Big Shoutout to Weems & Plath

Weems & Plath is one of those companies that seems to have have enjoyed a sterling reputation since the dawn of modern navigation and I have little doubt if Nelson or Hornblower had been availed of the opportunity, they likely would have chosen one of their fine instruments.

However, at some point in the recent past my plastic housed chronometer and barometer had given up the ghost. Removing them from my bulkhead, two 6" dia. circles now revealed the patinated contrast 30 years had brought since their installation and provided more insight than I needed as to what the original stain on the bulkhead must have looked like when new. Note, these are not the finely finished versions I covet, but having a certain fondness for their design & black plastic cases, I decided to take them across town Seems &Plath to see if they could be repaired. And of course, should I have to replace them, no doubt the new circles would never cover the old.

I found their shop housed in a non-discript metal building across from a creek and upon entering, saw several display cases filled with beautiful, shiny new instruments. Feeling like the guy who stops at Tiffany to get a battery for five dollar watch, fingers crossed, I asked if these might be repaired? A counter person promptly came out, inspected them and noted they might be still under warranty. What? Did I hear correctly, you've got to be kidding I thought, wondering if I actually heard what he said or if I heard what I had wanted to hear. Really?

The following day I received an e-mail stating they had been repaired and were available for pick up, without charge. I then remembered upon leaving their shop & thanking them, in utter amazement that a 30 yr old plastic cased instrument might still be under warranty, their manager simply expressed, "well, we do like happy customers.'

Amen.
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 00:55   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Big Shoutout to Weems & Plath

Wow, good to know.
Thx
Old 30-08-2018, 00:58   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Big Shoutout to Weems & Plath

Wonder if I take my Catamaran in for repair the company will give me a new one?
never mind...

Great customer service...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote