Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2022, 10:34   #1

big beds on mono hulls

Trying to figure out a good solution for beds on boats. I posted before on this, and got some great ideas, mostly focusing on center cockpit. Ideally we want a fully king size bed, not a California king. We are aware we can compromise in a number of ways, .. sleep in different beds, .. try to live with smaller beds ect. But trying to avoid this.

The center cockpit boats DO usually have enough room in the stateroom for us, it would totally work. They are however somewhat more rare. I would prefer a single mast boat, but even among the already rare center cockpits, most are dual mast, so now it is become quite a unicorn.

Do you guys know of any aft cockpit boats that have very large staterooms?
kevinnem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:47   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: big beds on mono hulls

You are on the right track. A large bed is very important in cruising boat.

Even at anchor there will some movement. To sleep typically requires a more spread out sleeping position than on land. Arms and legs will be spread out to reduce excessive rocking while sleeping. Therefore the sleeping area needs to be larger.

Be aware that boat sized standards are often different. “King sized beds” are often much smaller in practice than their land based counterparts. Often the maximum width simply corresponds to the king sized definition. The minimum width (and overall length) may be much less. The same is true of marine “Queen sized beds”.

Make sure you measure the actual bed dimensions.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:12   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

my boat has a queen master

you don't have to have a center cockpit, but probably a 40'+ plus DS type of design

the bed was important to me in choosing my boat as I was sure I would spend more nights sleeping than sailing
Old 12-05-2022, 12:57   #4

You spend one third of your life sleeping. If you're like me, another 3rd is spent wearing eyeglasses. I try to place high value on mattresses and eyeglasses. That being said, on a boat, you may find you need to compromise.

6 months a year, we live at home in a King Sized Bed and my wife likes to 'starfish' at night. 6 months we live on the boat with a smaller bed. It takes some compromise and adustment.

Fitting a true King is going to be a tall order.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 14:06   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988

The Jeanneau 45 DS has a pretty comfortable and sizable aft cabin, monohull, single mast, aft cockpit. Not a king but quite large.

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 14:11   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

You can order the Jeanneau 60 in 2 cabin with the front suite being a King. The aft has a garage lump which restricts it to a Queen.
It’s also well over 1M
Lots of power boats offer Kings
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 15:21   #7

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Space for a household walk around king sized bed was one of many "must haves" for us.
Added bonus is if she gets a roll up, you can sleep across the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1652393787365.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	466.1 KB
ID:	257636  
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 16:46   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Lovely walkaround.
That’s right the Deck Salon Jeanneau 45-55 have huge aft cabins or a wall you can remove on both. The 50 is a deal if you can find one. I know the owner of a dark blue 50 DS it’s a doll.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 11:36   #9

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Ted Brewer 44’ Kingsland cutter. Aft cockpit, aft queen.
Old 13-05-2022, 12:33   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

FWIW, while in lock down in Dominica, BORED, I spent several days going through Yachtworld and Sailboatdata searching for a replacement boat to the one we have. I was trying to find a newer (2000 or later) cutter with a centerline mattress. Hens teeth and expensive. I did not keep notes so am of no immediate help to you.

Also when we were looking for our current boat we looked at a ton of other boats, and my Wife was adamant she and me would not be crawling over one another wt 3am to pee. Damn hard to find.

What I did find was anything roughly comparable to our current boat cost a whole lot more than our current boat. >$250,000. Our current boat is a one off steel boat.

To make matters even more difficult I find it important to have an emergency tiller or some means of emergency steering. Most of the few aft stateroom centerlines do not allow this. Ours does. Ours also sufficient headroom for you to kneel on the bed which is helpful for a variety of reasons.

Best of luck. Learn how to search Yachtsorld and keep notes. Best I can offer.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 12:58   #11

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

I converted a rear cabin E-W queen to a N-S king on our previous boat, a 2006 Hunter 38. Took away most of the other cabin space but the Admiral loved it - no more climbing over each other at night - and it was a full king taking standard king bedding. I suspect the slightly larger Hunters have the same E-W queen in a larger cabin. Conversion was easy - construct a pedestal, cut the extension from 1/2" plywood, put a rail along the E-W bunk and then screw it together. Custom piece of foam mattress for the extension, and then all held together by the new mattress cover. Perhaps another option to consider?
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 15:38   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This is just another place where people are different. Our forward berth is a standard double bed. We climb over each other in the wee hours. The one who goes more than once in the middle of the night has the easier exit. For me, having the ability to just go into a store and buy sheets that fit is a luxury, after 18 years of having to make my own fitted sheets for the V berth. We've been in this double now since 2003, so 19 yrs. At my age, it is very hard to make the bed, but I do not regret the decision.

We decided that we did not want to spend the space that an island bed type cabin necessitates. We wanted it for storage and socializing in the saloon. The island bed would have been "too much" for us.

Ann
Old 13-05-2022, 16:06   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Ann,

As you allude is a LOT of personal preference here. My Wife and I sleep in contact with one another. We have comfortable slept on a twin bed. But obviously that is not for everyone. As it is we could probably cut our bed width in nearly half with little negative effect. Others can not understand how we survive happily in such a small bed.

But I would not like a bed with very little head room where you can not sit up or kneel.

And on passage we sleep on settees, one to each, with lee cloths or boards.

Many boats have their steering gear under the bed, no reasonable emergency steering I can see. I find that unacceptable, but common.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 16:26   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

My gulfstar 51 has a queen or king ( not sure which ) in the aft cabin. Hull living space is a duplicate of gulfstar 47. I have seen a few gulfstar 50 with centerline queens in aft cabin but they are rare. If you wanted to do away with some storage you could fit a king with walkarounds on both sides in my boat.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 16:29   #15

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

There are different ways to situate a bed. Ours is aft between the engine and the rudderpost (with 24" to spare) slightly offset to the port side. It is 75" wide at the head, 80" long, and 28" wide at the foot. We have full 45" of head room.

We can each exit or enter the bed (past the head of the bed on the port side of the cabin) without disturbing the other. We've slept comfortably in this bed for 35 years.

We also have to full length settees, two full length pilot berths, and a smallish forward V berth.

We started with a basically empty hull and tailored it to our needs. If you want it a certain way, build it that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wings' Plan.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	257711  

Tags
bed, hull