Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2022, 01:54   #16

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)
Re: Bezo's new yacht

If that is the yacht it looks nice for a monster yacht. I'm hard pressed to understand why the masts can't be stepped after the bridge. Possibly it is mostly a publicity stunt by Oceanco?
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:43   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Oh, good news! Maybe I can get a pesky bridge here in Florida taken apart when I pass through so I can step my mast before departure too. I’m glad they are being reasonable.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 03:26   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Bezo's new yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick of M View Post
If that is the yacht it looks nice for a monster yacht. I'm hard pressed to understand why the masts can't be stepped after the bridge. Possibly it is mostly a publicity stunt by Oceanco?

Marcel Walravens who managed the renovation project, ( of the bridge ) told Rijnmond that it was "not practical" to partially finish the vessel and complete the build elsewhere. "If you carry out a big job somewhere, you want all your tools in that place. Otherwise you have to go back and forth constantly. In addition, this is such a large project that there are hardly any locations where this work is finished."
Old 06-02-2022, 03:29   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Coast Murray View Post
I don't get it.

Boating to me is being responsible for assessing all factors, making judgement calls, and ensuring safe passage of our boat and family.

There is a sense of accomplishment and pride in that, and the learning never ends.

Building a ship like that, to be captained and crewed by payed staff, is nothing more than a kindergartener showing up to the sandbox with the biggest, shiniest toy.

Even if we had billions in the bank, we'd still have a boat we could handle ourselves.
Boating means the same to me as to you, but I'm grateful for the wasteful, luxurious, over-the-top luxury yacht scene. You have no idea how many jobs it generates, and how many hard-working people have a decent living building, crewing, and servicing these boats. There's a good chance I'll get some work out of Bezos' boat myself, being at the bottom of a long chain of rigging contractors, and the one who does much of the actual rope splicing for other similar projects.
Old 06-02-2022, 03:30   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
I don't get it.

Boating to me is being responsible for assessing all factors, making judgement calls, and ensuring safe passage of our boat and family.

There is a sense of accomplishment and pride in that, and the learning never ends.

Building a ship like that, to be captained and crewed by payed staff, is nothing more than a kindergartener showing up to the sandbox with the biggest, shiniest toy.

Even if we had billions in the bank, we'd still have a boat we could handle ourselves.

Money is just the great amplifier of people's desires for the shiny things. I agree with you. What's the fun in owning something you're not even allowed to drive.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 03:32   #21
Nearly an old salt

Bezo's new yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Money is just the great amplifier of people's desires for the shiny things. I agree with you. What's the fun in owning something you're not even allowed to drive.

It’s only one of the many toys he has , I mean this is a man with a space rocket as a toy.

I’m sure he’ll love the 2-3 weeks he gets on it now and again.

“ “Fitzgerald had said, ‘The rich are different from us.’ Hemingway had replied, ‘Yes, they have more money.’”

( this of course is a fabricated exchange)
Old 06-02-2022, 03:36   #22
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It’s only one of the many toys he has , I mean this is a man with a space rocket as a toy.

I’m sure he’ll love the 2-3 weeks he gets on it now and again.
I can
hear it now. "Breaker Breaker channel 16. This is Jeff.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 03:37   #23
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I can

hear it now. "Breaker Breaker channel 16. This is Jeff.

“ pizza for 4 please “
Old 06-02-2022, 03:38   #24

Dogscout said: "It amazes me that people seem to put out some shade on Bezos because of this yacht. "

What makes you think it's because of the yacht :-)?

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:15   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

If you're ever feeling down ...
Just remember, you're closer to being a billionaire, than Jeff Bezos is!

In response to his ex-wife taking The Giving Pledge, Jeff Bezos announced he is giving three quarters of his fortune to charity.
Twenty five cents now, and fifty cents over the next four years.

Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon, has become the first person ever to have a net worth over $200 billion.
That‘s a really expensive net!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:39   #26

Quote:
I don't get it.

I agree with you, North Coast.

A 400-foot yacht is just obscene. The beauty of her lines doesn't really offset that fact in any appreciable way. (This is from someone who was a crewmember on a private 125-foot yacht owned by a billionaire.)

This megayacht race unfortunately was started by Aussie Golfer Greg Norman who built the first 200+ foot private yacht in the 2000's so it would be bigger than any other private yacht out there (at the time); they've all been getting more ginormous and ridiculous ever since.

For me, all I can think is what could be done to reverse climate change instead of contributing to it... well, I have more respect for the Bill & Melinda Gates' of the world trying to end malaria with their Foundation.

Poor Rotterdam and their historic bridge. What a choice (not really a choice) to be forced into!

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:42   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
I agree with you, North Coast.

A 400-foot yacht is just obscene. The beauty of her lines doesn't really offset that fact in any appreciable way. (This is from someone who was a crewmember on a private 125-foot yacht owned by a billionaire.)

This megayacht race unfortunately was started by Aussie Golfer Greg Norman who built the first 200+ foot private yacht in the 2000's so it would be bigger than any other private yacht out there (at the time); they've all been getting more ginormous and ridiculous ever since.

For me, all I can think is what could be done to reverse climate change instead of contributing to it... well, I have more respect for the Bill & Melinda Gates' of the world trying to end malaria with their Foundation.

Poor Rotterdam and their historic bridge. What a choice (not really a choice) to be forced into!

LittleWing77
That’s not even remotely correct for the first 200’+ Yacht. Guess you are going to hate bill soon once you see what he has in the pipeline.
Letterkenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:21   #28

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
That’s not even remotely correct for the first 200’+ Yacht. Guess you are going to hate bill soon once you see what he has in the pipeline.
Can you back what you say about Bill Gates with some facts, to my knowledge (I have a couple of years of Megayacht Exterior Design in my CV) he was not into the yacht thing?

The Hydrogen Yacht from Sinot which some journalists wrote would be for him turned out not to be true as far as I recall.

The late Paul Allen and Charles Simony from Microsoft where/are into it.
Octopus & Skat were their respective yachts.
Old 06-02-2022, 11:26   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bezo's new yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Can you back what you say about Bill Gates with some facts, to my knowledge (I have a couple of years of Megayacht Exterior Design in my CV) he was not into the yacht thing?

The Hydrogen Yacht from Sinot which some journalists wrote would be for him turned out not to be true as far as I recall.

The late Paul Allen and Charles Simony from Microsoft where/are into it.
Octopus & Skat were there respective yachts.
https://www.ghbase.com/a-look-inside...ecember%202019.

Billionaire Bill Gates has not commissioned a hydrogen-powered superyacht from designer Sinot, the firm has told the BBC.

It has been widely reported that Mr Gates ordered a £500m ($644m) luxury vessel, based on the concept which was displayed in Monaco in 2019.

Sinot said it had "no business relationship" with Bill Gates.

It added that that the concept yacht, called Aqua, was "not linked" to either him or any of his representatives.

"Aqua is a concept under development and has not been sold to Mr Gates," a spokeswoman said.

She added that it was shown "in Monaco [and] meant to build a better future, and inspire clients and the industry."

Bill Gates has been contacted by the BBC for comment.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:43   #30

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
https://www.ghbase.com/a-look-inside...ecember%202019.

Billionaire Bill Gates has not commissioned a hydrogen-powered superyacht from designer Sinot, the firm has told the BBC.

It has been widely reported that Mr Gates ordered a £500m ($644m) luxury vessel, based on the concept which was displayed in Monaco in 2019.

Sinot said it had "no business relationship" with Bill Gates.

It added that that the concept yacht, called Aqua, was "not linked" to either him or any of his representatives.

"Aqua is a concept under development and has not been sold to Mr Gates," a spokeswoman said.

She added that it was shown "in Monaco [and] meant to build a better future, and inspire clients and the industry."

Bill Gates has been contacted by the BBC for comment.

Just what I said, no? I don't think he is into yachting on that level.
Some designers drop big names to get the attention level further up...

Tags
yacht