Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 14:39   #1

Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Odyssey 37
Beyond Excited…We Bought A Sailboat!!

My wife and I closed on a 1997 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37 this week and we couldn't be more excited!! She is a beautiful boat and fits our criteria near perfectly. The previous owners have taken great care of her and equipped her with everything you need for cruising the Bahamas. We are planning our first cruise on her to the Abacos a little later this year (Late season - June or July).

Having said that I'd gladly listen and take in any advice/wisdom I could get in regards to sailing during that time of year in the Abacos. We bought and have been studying the 2015 Dodge Cruising Guide and have learned a lot from it. The boat is in Fort Pierce, so thats our starting point as of now.

Like I said we are beyond excited for the many adventures to come and are looking forward to meeting some of you out on the water in the months and years to come!

Thanks in advance!
SelahwayJF7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 14:45   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Beyond Excited…We Bought A Sailboat!!

Advice? just fill the water tank up and go sailing.

Enjoy
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 14:56   #3

Boat: CS36T

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 03-05-2015, 15:38   #4

Good on you. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ChamJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 15:51   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Nice boat, congrats, enjoy!
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:47   #6

Boat: Bristol 35

You go- now! why wait, I know ya gotta get all the little things done.
Awesome for you! You're starting a great adventure!
If you've bought the boat I'm sure you've already read all the books, scoured the internet for info and are ready to go. If you have more specific questions I'm sure you'll get lots of advice here.
1. what ports to avoid or not miss- depends on what your goals are.
2. Do you prefer a marina or on the hook?
3. Do you have a time line?
4. Do you have a semi planned route?

Good luck and live life to the fullest.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:09   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Enjoy
.....maybe a bottle or two of rum...... ;-)
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:37   #8

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelahwayJF7 View Post
My wife and I closed on a 1997 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37 this week and we couldn't be more excited!! She is a beautiful boat and fits our criteria near perfectly. The previous owners have taken great care of her and equipped her with everything you need for cruising the Bahamas. We are planning our first cruise on her to the Abacos a little later this year (Late season - June or July).

Having said that I'd gladly listen and take in any advice/wisdom I could get in regards to sailing during that time of year in the Abacos.
We bought and have been studying the 2015 Dodge Cruising Guide and have learned a lot from it. The boat is in Fort Pierce, so thats our starting point as of now.

Like I said we are beyond excited for the many adventures to come and are looking forward to meeting some of you out on the water in the months and years to come!

Thanks in advance!
We have spent 2, and will again now, summers in Marsh Harbour and surrounds.

The area is good if you have to experience a hurricane. Marsh Harbour's pretty good in itself; Hopetown has some hurricane moorings and is great protection and Treasure Cay Marina, as it's the off-season and has the space, will rent you both halves of a slip for great spiderwebbing. We personally know two boats that went through Sandy, where the eye passed over the marina, very successfully there.

Outside Marsh Harbour, you may find shelter in Green Turtle Cay's White and Black Sounds, depending on your depth, and, if you're shallow enough, Little Harbour on the south end of Great Abaco (where Marsh Harbour is).

If you wanted to (we would not), there are many marinas which could put you in a slip.

Summer is great in that you largely have the area to yourselves, and - if you enjoy snorkeling or free diving, the water's warm enough to stay in for hours. The downside is that many businesses shut down due to lack of business - but it's well worth it.

Sailling in the Sea of Abaco is easy and fun; going south from MH will be a twisty-turny sail, which will be great for sail handling exercises. There are many opportunities for exploration along that route.

Going north to Baker's Bay/Fisher's Bay/Treasure Cay is easier, as the rhumb line is longer. With the right winds, you may see several boats heading north under spinnaker.

There is ample opportunity for snorkeling/free diving here. As we've been blessed to see amazing things, we have a bit of ennui about places many would consider fantastic, given the beauty of our favorites.

The first one is off Fowl Cay, just south of Scotland Cay, and is a national park. You can anchor on the west side of Fowl, and the short dinghy ride will put you there.

The other is the massive reef off the top end of Great Guana, above Baker's Bay. Anchor in the area south of that, and dinghy around to the top. The water there is less than a foot deep at low tide, putting a snorkeler up close and personal with the coral and denizens.

If you're comfortable free diving, it's about 15' in many places, with turtles and spotted rays, among others, proliferating near the bottom. Going down will also expose you to entire schools of fish in the usual brilliant colors seen here.

If you like being up close and personal, here's a trick we've learned: Take a Gatorade bottle and run a hot 1/4" or so bolt (or a soldering iron tip) through it. Drilling will shatter it...

Boil up some rice and put it in the bottle. When you're in the water, the sea water will fill it, putting the rice in suspension. Give the bottle a quick squeeze to puff out some rice. You'll be covered up in fish. Take the camera

Once you're inside, you rarely have to be concerned about the passages' conditions, but the Cruiser's Net on VHF 68 at 8:15 (you may hear me, depending on timing, as I've been and will again be Net Anchor there, starting Thursday) will keep you informed about anything weather related, should you want to go outside in order to enjoy some of the northern Abacos, including, if you're here at the right time, the Stranded Naked party near Green Turtle on July 3rd. I'll leave the googling to you - but it's a HUGE party.

You'll probably be making the same trip we did, 3+ weeks ago, as we left Ft. Pierce, enjoyed the banks, and checked into Green Turtle, along with some threatening weather. Look for my "Shake and Break" series in CF for some current, real life info...

And, while it may be redundant to your knowledge, if you don't have it, get the Explorer Chart book covering that area. You can rely on what's there, and the waypoints are current - many changed in the last version, as compared to our previously entered/marked (from an earlier version) positions. Rhumblines will be deep enough for any likely vessel; we're 7' and have never accidentally grounded in the Bahamas (we DO ground her from time to time to scrub the bottom).

HTH

L8R

Skip, in Marsh Harbour
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:46   #9

Congrats on the new boat and a good time (now) to do the Abacos, but don't wait too long (hurricane season). Typically safe until July but then leave until November or make sure you have a good hurricane plan and watch the weather closely.

Wife and I are ex-Nike employees from Beaverton now living in the Tampa area. Hope you enjoy the new boat and new adventures!
Pirate007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:55   #10

Boat: Swift 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Enjoy
Fill the diesel tank too and don't get those 2 mixed up

congrats and enjoy !
iGrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:18   #11

Congratulations.

What is your sailing experience?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:54   #12

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Jeaneau 37...I'm so Jelly! You chose very well.
Fill the tanks, stock up on food...and go. You are living the dream.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:16   #13

Boat: Lidgard 37

Why stop there. Come to New Zealand :-)
KiwiSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:33   #14

Boat: 2004 Catalina 42, "Galatea"

Congratulations!! That's very exciting... I know the feeling! Just wait until you get the next urge... "We *need* a bigger boat."

She will be your Happy Place...

"Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!"
Aprilmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 13:46   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Congratulations!

That's a far piece to sail from Portland!

I'm assuming that you're new boat is somewhere out East and you have some sailing experience.

Tags
sail, sailboat