Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2011, 05:21   #16

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
Re: Beta Marine Engines

This is great info. This winter, I am going to repower our Cambria 46 and am looking at the Beta 60, the 53 hp Yanmar, and the W65 from Westerbeke, replacing a W58. Westerbeke has the highest price, heaviest engine, and least flexibility, so it will probably come down to Beta or Yanmar.

We have a V-drive, our trans is ok, just rebuilt, and does anyone have thoughts about whether to use our existing transmission or get a new one with the new engine?

Thanks!
HHNTR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 06:13   #17

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

I replaced a well worn Westerbeke 27 hp 4 cyl Mitsubishi based 1.3 liter with a BETA 38 in my Gulfstar. This is a 1.5 liter 38 HP # 3600 RPM. I chose the PRM 120 as I have had issues with the ZF10's and the PRM120 is rated for about twice the HP and a TMC60 was not available at the time.

Given the Westerbeke had a goofy 3 mount system I chose to cut down the stringers. The mount centers on the Beta 38 are a little wider (1/2") than the original setup so I used 3/8 aluminum plate on top of the glassed and cutdown stringers. Each plate has tabs that throughbolt through the stringers on the side as well as 8, #14 screws on the top. I slotted the plate to accept carrige bolts from the bottom to the flex mounts in order to have a healthy ajustment range.

I opted for the serpintine belt and the 100 amp Iskra Alt which has worked fine for the 840 hrs since install. Beta has a "Brush box" option for this alt. that will allow a remote regulator which I have thought about but the standard setup appears to work well.

I am a bit under proped but burn about .78 GPH @ 6.3 KN. @2500 RPM My max cruise is 2800 at about .82 GPH ;If I get in a jam I have lots of reserve. While on the hook charging it appears to be .28 GPH @12-1500 RPM. I also opted for the higher SS mixing elbow to be sure I had suficient drop to the lift muffler.

Given the market position of Yanmar and Westerbeke, I looked for a reason not to get a Beta and could not find one. Stan & Farron from Beta US are extreamly helpful and truly know the product and application.

This has been one of my better decisions in life. I suspect the cost of the engine has added equal or better to the overall value of the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	repower1.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	31906   Click image for larger version

Name:	repower5.jpg
Views:	991
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	31907  

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 08:51   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHNTR111 View Post
This is great info. This winter, I am going to repower our Cambria 46 and am looking at the Beta 60, the 53 hp Yanmar, and the W65 from Westerbeke, replacing a W58. Westerbeke has the highest price, heaviest engine, and least flexibility, so it will probably come down to Beta or Yanmar.

We have a V-drive, our trans is ok, just rebuilt, and does anyone have thoughts about whether to use our existing transmission or get a new one with the new engine?

Thanks!

I bought the Beta 60 but have yet to install it prior to doing some welding. If for structural reasons you need the V-drive, I can't see a objection, but if you get a hydraulic drive and a feathering prop, you'll want a way to isolate the prop shaft and coupler from the transmission. We opted for soft engine mounts and an Aqua Drive coupler, which makes for a quieter installation and fewer worries about alignment.

You should speak with a Beta dealer. I got good information from Beta Northwest (on Christmas Eve, even!) and the Beta 60, as with many of their models, have a large variety of transmission options.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 08:59   #19

Had a beta 38 installed last spring. I like it a lot. Key items for my were the options to customize the location of the impeller (I have a V-drive). No more mirrors and sore backs lying in the quarter birth trying to get to it! Funny enough they do not really advertise that fact!
arjand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 11:30   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHNTR111 View Post

Thanks!
Depends. What transmission and what v-drive do you have?

Also is the v-drive bolted directly to the transmission or is it connected via a short drive shaft?

Regarding engine choice. I have a Westerbeke W58 in my boat now. Has been a great engine and runs perfectly after 25 years and 2500 hours. However would not get another one, mainly because of how badly they screw you on parts. I know everyone does it but it seems like Westerbeke has tried to top all the rest in this regard. Sell you parts that are exactly the same ones you would get from Mitsubishi or whoever built the original block for double, triple or even more.

Speaking of which, when you decide to pull your W58 please let me know as I might be interested in some of the parts.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 14:05   #21

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight

We have a Hurth 12 degree v-drive that bolts directly to the engine. Both Beta and Yanmar said their engines can use our transmission, and since I can later replace the trans without pulling the engine, I'm inclined to go that route.

On the other hand, I wonder about mating new machinery with old. That trans bangs hard when putting into gear, and before I rebuilt the maxprop, it freewheeled, so there might be some wear in the bearings.
HHNTR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 12:21   #22

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Am in the middle of repowering our Bayfield 32 with a Beta 20HP. Engine seems well engineered and and yard where I'm at has done two repowers with Betas this summer and are really impressed. Stan at Beta has been a great help.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 18:12   #23

A moment of supreme satisfaction for anyone that has ever installed their own motor.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 23-09-2011, 18:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzosha View Post
Does anyone have any comments about the marinized Kubota engines sold by Beta Marine? I've got to repower my Westsail 28 and am looking at their 28 HP....................thanks
Rich
SV Zosha
Welcome to C.F.

Best of luck on the repower.....
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 20:09   #25

I like my Beta. Just bought another for the other boat. Beta publishes the Kubota part cross references so you can buy the parts wherever you like. Unlike most other marine engine companies.

A plus for Kubota-based engines over Yanmars is how much smoother they run. But for me it was a question of fit.

The Universal conversion work is shoddy compared to Beta. I've had both.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 11:35   #26

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Target9000, you mentioned you don't like the recessed instrument panel. What don't you like about it? I am currently evaluating a new engine and knowing this would be helpful.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 08:44   #27

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
A moment of supreme satisfaction for anyone that has ever installed their own motor.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Jeez, I practically teared up there for a moment.

A 38 HP in a Westsail? I will assume you are either running a honking big feathering prop or you carry a load of batteries and run a really big alternators.

Regardless...great work. Sounds terrific...the tapdance of the sea!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 15:35   #28

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I have a Beta 38 sitting under my boat, waiting on me go remove the old dinosaur Volvo MD-17C. Progress on that part of it can be on my blog. I ordered mine via Stan and Farron, great guys and it arrived on time. I had mine set up like S/V Antares, larger alternator, serpentine belts, high exhaust and hot water outlet fittings. If all goes well It will be in by the end of October. (it better be or I lose access til spring to get the motor up in there!) I'm almost ready to remove the MD, once thats' done I'll have to cut down the bearers and replace the shaft log and prop strut tube at the same time.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 16:08   #29

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

SabreKai, I made a up a jig to use when cutting down the rails. The drawings from Beta were perfect. After you get the tube and shaft in place you can attach the jig to the coupling and it makes it easy to fine tune the cutdown of the rails/stringers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beta Jig.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	32066  

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 21:39   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Target9000, you mentioned you don't like the recessed instrument panel. What don't you like about it? I am currently evaluating a new engine and knowing this would be helpful.
The first thing I didn't like about it is the price. Its 130 bucks. The second problem is that the lip around the edge is not straight, its convex so a standard gasket won't work well and if you over tighten screws it will flex in and look ugly. The third problem is that the cover for it is not a water tight or even remotely water tight solution. At best it will deflect some rain. If I had to do over again I would have just flush mounted the panel or built my own solution.

As an added crappiness, the recessed box was not cut or drilled for the panel. I had to use a dremel tool with a cutting edge on it to saw out the cut out that I had to make myself. Then I had to drill my own holes and buy nuts and bolts to fit it. For the price you would have thought it would have come ready to go in one piece.

Tags
beta marine, marine