Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2020, 05:07   #1

Best way to repair my encapsulated keel?

Hi everyone,

Last season, when the boat came out of the water, we saw a crack in the encapsaluted keel of our Nordica 30 with water coming out of it. Before winter, we drilled a few holes so the water could came out. We learned that the PO climbed on a reef a few season past and that was probably why there was this crack. So, now summer is approaching and I started to work the keel with a buffer and, to my dismay, saw the extend of the damages on the keel. PO just did a quick fix with some glass and 3m 4200 is my guess.

I also made sure no water would come in the keel from the bilge and have have done an epoxy and painting job.

To be sure to make a good repair, I buffed all the damaged keel plus a lot more to have the famous 1 to 12 bevel needed for my glass work. I buffed up to the concrete inside the keel and it's still drying at the moment.

My plan is to shopvac the keel so all the water comes out, then inject Acetone to dry it even more. After that, I'll inject epoxy in the keel, but I can see no big void inside the keel, just small one. After that I'll patch the concrete with thickened epoxy. I intend to do the first layers of glass with G-Flex epoxy to make sure it sticks really well, and then i'll do the rest with 6 and 10 oz cloth and west system epoxy.

I would like to know what you guys think of my plan? I attached a picture so you could get a better idea of all this.

Thanks a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trou_voilier.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	215885  
jcdubreuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 05:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Best way to repair my encapsulated keel?

It’s just that small corner? Grind it all out and build it back up, don’t go the injection route.
If there is iron in there you need to neutralize the rust. Although without an oxygen source, the iron can’t continue to rust
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 06:18   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Best way to repair my encapsulated keel?

I also wouldn’t use epoxy, unless the boat is epoxy.

If it was me, I’d grind away some more of that gelcoat above the repair area, build up with poly and glass, then grind fair and prime with some sort of barrier coat followed by bottom paint while the barrier is still tacky.

You did say it’s been open all winter? Should be dry then.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, keel