Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 20:12   #1

Boat: o'day 22
Best Trailer Sailor?

im intrested in buying a 1970s trailerable sail boat that can sleep two audlts and two chirldren and go on exstened trips . looked at the san juan 21 but looks small for more than over night . would like to have retracktable keel . my budget is 6000usd .your input would be great im new to sail boats .thanks in advance
cheers

scott whyte
bigwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 20:30   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Why limit it to the 70's? What if you got a better, newer, trailerable boat for the same price?

A Moore 24 or a J-22 or a J-24 comes to mind.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:39   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I owned a Westery Centaur that I trailered to the Great Lakes and then to southern Florida where I did several Bahamas trips with it. A solid boat with full standing headroom. A few have circumnavigated. No swing keel, but bilge keels keep the draft down for sailing, launching and low height on trailer. Many now sell in the price range you mentioned. It can be towed, but I would not really call it a trailer sailor. Some heavier displacement boats that can be put on a trailer that may come up in that price range include Folkboats, Cape Dory's and Norsea.

On the lighter side and easier to tow, there are many Catalina 22-25 and Cals on the market that may come up in that price range. All sorts of other boats as well. Start by looking at boats in your area listed in your local magazine or on online sailing websites such as boat trader. When you find one that seems like it's what you want, consider posting here again and see if people have feedback on that particular model.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:23   #4

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
What do you mean by best? Are you staying in protected waters? Some people like Macgregors, many hate them. They're lightweight because of water ballast so don't require a huge vehicle to tow. They advertise having a very low trailer for easy launching and they're supposed to be quick and easy to rig. They're cheap, so a lot of cabin space for the money. The first version of the 26 even looks like a sailboat. The newer versions look funny in my opinion but can carry a big engine so you can plane at 15-18 knots under power. The newer versions I don't believe that you're going to find for $6000 though. This is not a go anywhere do anything boat, but not everyone is looking for that. If you do consider one don't sail without the water ballast in.

The best trailer sailor for me would be a Corsair trimaran, but you're not getting one of those for $6000.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:30   #5

If you have to have a retractable keel, look for a Balboa 26. Practical Sailor reviewed the boat in June 2007 and they liked the boat quite a bit. Also worth a look: the Catalina 22 and 25.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:40   #6

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Nor'Sea 27.
Can do what you want easily and not be a camping while doing it. Ours had microwave, A/C, inverter, adequate tankage, a diesel heater propane stove and grill...
We had a aft cockpit model with 2 quaterberths, perfect for 2 kids, but then you have the hassle of arranging the salon each night for the adults, but you have a large berth then, and it really was not that big of a deal to do it.
The aft cabin model breaks the plan up into a small aft cabin and then the salon/head with the cockpit in the middle.
I would go for the aft cockpit.
Designed by Lyle Hess. This boat has been circumnavigated. It is trailable with a 8 foot beam. But it is NOT a week end boat. You put it in the water once a season then back on the trailer. Putting it in the water is not that easy. A lift is best. It weighs in at around 12K lbs on the trailer. A truly nice pocket sailer.
Take a look at them. Price for a nice one is around 60,000 but prices change all the time and of course you could spend more, or less.
Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:43   #7

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw

1979 NorSea Nor'Sea Aft Cabin Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:58   #8

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
Look for a Venture 25 or a Catilina 22 or 25. Lots available for $3000 on up.
Not for ocean sailing but you can have a great time on the Great Lakes or similar waters.
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:03   #9

Coincidentally, the Balboa 26 was also designed by Lyle Hess. He was a prolific designer... died in 2002 at the age of 90.

I found an online version of the PS review of the Balboa 26:

Balboa 26 Boat Review
Old 06-09-2009, 07:04   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhyte View Post
im intrested in buying a 1970s trailerable sail boat that can sleep two audlts and two chirldren and go on exstened trips . looked at the san juan 21 but looks small for more than over night . would like to have retracktable keel . my budget is 6000usd .your input would be great im new to sail boats .thanks in advance
cheers

scott whyte

The San Juan 21, built by the long departed Clark company. One of the first boats I ever owned. I used and beat the beegeebers out of it. A very shallow draft which made it a great boat for south Florida waters. I wouldn't recommend it for sailing too far off shore and only in good weather. I sailed mine to Bimini and the Bahamas when I didn't know any better. Though for a 21' boat it had a lot of interior space due to it's deck design. These boats also leak bad at the swing keel in any kind of waves. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't stop it and there was always 6" of water in the cabin floor. No storage at all just two aft bunks and a forward bunk which acted as floatation and the San Juan needs it. This boat will go over on it's side and stay there. Not a reassuring thing with your wife and kids on board. I didn't even think there would even be any San Juans left. I know your looking at price and a 70s San Jan 21 even in good condition can't be worth much. I'd look at little harder for a more seaworthy trailer sailor. Now the old British Sea Gull 5hp that came with it when I bought it still lives in my shop and runs like the day she was built. But we did have some great times on the old gal.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:14   #11

Scott, if you want to see a Balboa 26, there is one for sale in Ladysmith, BC:

1974 Custom Balboa 26 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Out of your price range unfortunately, but at least you can see it.

And there is one for sale in Fresno California, for $4800, including trailer:

Sail Boat-Balboa 26

That Fresno boat might be a very good buy if you can haul it back to BC.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:30   #12

And Scott, there is a Balboa 26 for sale in Jerome, Idaho for $2250 with trailer. But it sounds like a partially completed project boat:

Southern Idaho Sailing Association - Classifieds

I think the Balboa 26 is one of those rare situations: a good design, well built boat that owners seem to hold in high regard. Pretty active owner's group, from what I can see.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:08   #13

San Juan 21... my first boat! not big, and quite light. You can probably find a San Juan 26 for the $6k! and have a lot more room for the family. A friend of mine had a Chrysler 26 and it was a very good boat. Swing keel but stiff, a lot of room too! A Catalina 25 is good (find one with the "pop top") You will be able to sell the Cat easier. There should be a multitude of boats in that range available cheap.
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote