Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 14:52   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Best Sealant for Stays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhaleCA View Post
Think I'll go back and take one apart if possible. Then see what I can find for a replacement. I believe there are 4 shrouds: would removing one to a boat at dock put the mast in danger of moving/falling?
I think you have 6 actually, 3 each side. However, you will want to check the forestay and backstay attachments whilst you are at it. Plus that U bolt in the middle of the foredeck, is that for a storm jib? might as well have a good look at that too. Whilst the backstay and forestay are less likely to be a problem worth checking.

The shrouds are a problem because under sail the deck will move sligthly which eventually breaks down the sealant as you have found out. Ours was the same BTW but only took an hour with a broken hacksaw blade, stanley knife and small screw driver to clean out and seal again. That was 2 years ago and we haven't had a leak since, but it will need doing again in a couple of years.

However, the reason for posting is what is that vent doing in the front of the foredeck? it looks like its designed to funnel large volumes of water straight down inside the boat? I hope not, but were does it lead to?

Take an angle grinder down to the boat too and chop off that caribiner in the deck rail before it puts a hole in your sails.

Sounds like you have a summer of maintenance ahead catching up on jobs the PO should have done, including replacing the rusty genoa halyard, but take your time and do it right and she will come good.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 18:07   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seidelmann 30T

You may want to go to Schaefer Marine - Boom Furlers, Jib Furlers, Tuff-Luff, Powerboat Gear, Battslide, Marine Hardware and buy some new chainplates and some chainplate covers (you don't have any covers on those chainplates, and you need some). There are a variety of sizes available, so pick the chainplates that are the same size as the ones that you have already (the old rusty ones), then get the covers that are sized for those chainplates.

An example of a part number is schaefer #84-56.

Google it and you'll see what I mean. I can't figure out how to attach a picture...

Use lots of sealant (Lifecaulk or 4200) under the chainplate cover and that will dramatically reduce your leakage if not eliminate it. I reseal my chainplates every year, though, but it's pretty easy and quick to do.

Good luck,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhaleCA View Post
I found over the winter that my recent purchase leaks a lot. Mostly from the wires that hold the mast up ( stays? ) This has created rust trails through the inside of the cabin down to the bilge area where I have to pull it out or else it 'rains' in my boat every time I visit. Causing me to mop the ceiling. I'll probably laugh about it one day.

ho ho. ha ha.

Photo's attached. I plan to chip out/clean these tie down areas then prep if possible with a bonding agent then apply a sealant. Does this sound the proper way to approach the problem? Any suggestions as to the product(s) to use?

Thanks!

Paul
chrisferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 23:27   #18

Boat: Niagara 35
Sounds like you're going to have many projects. Check out Don Casey's "This Old Boat".
Old 13-07-2011, 06:08   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
As a side note, butyl rubber does come in many forms but not all work equally well. If you use it, go to an RV supply store and find the grey kind in a roll. Avoid the black and white and anything in the tubes. .
I have seen this recommendation a couple of times but no explanation. So why not the black or white? I picked up a roll of each color with the idea that I would use the color that most closely matched the color of what I was bedding.

So does the grey work better for some reason?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 09:02   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I have seen this recommendation a couple of times but no explanation. So why not the black or white? I picked up a roll of each color with the idea that I would use the color that most closely matched the color of what I was bedding.

Personally I use the yellow, which is high-temp designed for vacuum bagging. The other stuff gets really soft when it's hot out. I dont use butyl for sealing though. We use loads of it for vacuum bagging, so I tend to bring some home and use it to fix things in place which I dont want to drill fastener holes in my teak for. My wife loves it for decorations...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 09:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Butyl tape can technically come in any color. However, there are a lot of knock off "putty tapes" that will dry out and that aren't real butyl. Suggesting the grey from an RV store is just sort of a way to side step ending up with a non-butyl putty tape. If you get the knock off you'll find that it dries out over time and can crack or harden.

A lot of these knock offs came in black and white and are sold at auto parts places. Also the RV community has been vocal (evangelical) about the grey tape though I've never seen an actual scientific reason for it.

If you really want to be sure you can look for what the tape is made of. Isobutylene & isoprene combined are the basis for real butyl tape.

Tags
sealant