Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2020, 19:01   #1

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5
Best Roller Furler ?

So I work on boats for a living and have my own opinion of manufacturers furlers, but I would like some input from some cruisers who have done some serious offshore / ocean cruising, etc. The original Goiot on my 15.5 Idylle has seen better days. This summer on my way to Newport I had to put a dog leash on the furler line feed arm to a cleat so it wouldn't spin around like crazy. lol Anyway lets just say it's time to suck it up. I have fixed a number of profurl units and I'm not a fan. Allen screws backing out or missing from inside the drum mount. Torlon bearings egged out on a few. I like the Schaefer 3100, but oooffaaa expensive. Seldon, Furlex. Fancor? I'm finally renting my house next Oct and leaving for a few years in the boat, so overall strength and reliability is what I'm looking for. I will suck it up and pay for the Schaefer, but just wanted some input from cruisers out there who have been through the **** and furler held up. Thanks. No offense to profurl fans, I've just fixed to many to have any confidence in them. Sealed seals in the dirt too if it gets in. Hence the egged out bearings.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 19:10   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Best Roller Furler ?

I have two Harken ESP furling units which I installed myself in four hours, each. Four singlehanded runs to Bermuda and plenty of coastal cruising in the last five years. No complaints.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 00:22   #3

Almast refit , made in Tasmania Australia, bombproof with a 10 year worldwide warranty, I asked plenty of riggers which furler they never have to repair . Good luck
Freyfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 00:59   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyfrey View Post
Almast refit , made in Tasmania Australia, bombproof with a 10 year worldwide warranty, I asked plenty of riggers which furler they never have to repair . Good luck
I'm happy with mine, but fairly short term. Nice bit of kit, good price, easy to set up, really complete installation set with really good instructions for DIY.

And w hen you phone them you speak to the head engineer/designer, not a highschool dropout clerk... I like that!

Jim
Old 05-12-2020, 01:04   #5

The best roller furler is NO roller furler.

Take the Aussie couple who recently lost their boat in the Med. Had they not had in-mast furling, that whole situation would never have developed.
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:37   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

We have all Selden furlers, 2x Furlex 400S's on the headsails, and Selden furling mast. 11 years and maybe 30,000 miles. I like these the best of any furling systems I've used, but I haven't used Harken. I've had a few minor issues with the headsail furlers, and they are somewhat fiddly to take apart and put back together, but they work well and are pretty reliable. The 400S is pretty beefy and I think it would be pretty hard to break it.

The Selden in-mast furling is bombproof; a really good system. The only issue is that the furling drum loses its bite over time and you have to tail the furling line hard to get grip, and this part is really hard to replace without pulling the mast. I would make this electric or hydraulic if I had it to do over.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:39   #7

Boat: Catalina 18, Looking for Larger!

JAFO, why do you say that? After reading the account, it seemed like fatigue and lack of diesel were the biggest problems after not being able to receive updated weather info. What was the roller furling issue?
jmc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:43   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Only have about 4,000 miles on it but so far very happy with the Harken MkIV. Been completely trouble free so far and all the bits have stayed attached.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:29   #9

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc42 View Post
JAFO, why do you say that? After reading the account, it seemed like fatigue and lack of diesel were the biggest problems after not being able to receive updated weather info. What was the roller furling issue?
When they originally set out their main r/f jammed and ripped the sail, so they had to go back to Turkey to get it fixed. They couldn't go to Greece, because they had departed from Turkey. (Those two are not on great terms even without Covid.) This delayed their trip a week or more. If they had been able to make the trip when originally planned, the weather would likely have been better.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:45   #10

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I can't say enough about both of my Schaefer furlers that I've had since new in '98. They have NEVER let me down even in 50kt winds offshore. That plus the fact that Schaefer provides outstanding customer service!
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:22   #11

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
The best roller furler is NO roller furler.

Take the Aussie couple who recently lost their boat in the Med. Had they not had in-mast furling, that whole situation would never have developed.
Who said anything about an in mast furler? How does this always happen on here? Some people just like to hear themselves jabbaer jaw i believe. Jib furlers, and i have hank ons for my inner stay anyway.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:54   #12

Boat: Cal2-34

Anyone have a "STERNS" furling system? Mine is in need of bearing replacement which will happen sooner than later. Ive eased the backstay somewhat so i can still use it but am to the point of utilizing the winch to both unfurl and furl....not a good thing to do!
dvolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:58   #13
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
So I work on boats for a living and have my own opinion of manufacturers furlers, but I would like some input from some cruisers who have done some serious offshore / ocean cruising, etc. The original Goiot on my 15.5 Idylle has seen better days. This summer on my way to Newport I had to put a dog leash on the furler line feed arm to a cleat so it wouldn't spin around like crazy. lol Anyway lets just say it's time to suck it up. I have fixed a number of profurl units and I'm not a fan. Allen screws backing out or missing from inside the drum mount. Torlon bearings egged out on a few. I like the Schaefer 3100, but oooffaaa expensive. Seldon, Furlex. Fancor? I'm finally renting my house next Oct and leaving for a few years in the boat, so overall strength and reliability is what I'm looking for. I will suck it up and pay for the Schaefer, but just wanted some input from cruisers out there who have been through the **** and furler held up. Thanks. No offense to profurl fans, I've just fixed to many to have any confidence in them. Sealed seals in the dirt too if it gets in. Hence the egged out bearings.
I have a pair of Profurl furlers since 2010/12 without a problem so far with one roundtrip to Hawaii. My rigger used Loctite on all the Allen screws. Will that help.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:13   #14

Boat: Montevideo 43

10 years on Harken!!
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:16   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Just how do you mean "best"?

Lowest effort to furl? Schaffer or Almast are good.

Easiest to install? Facnor is good.

Most robust? Reef-rite (a kiwi product) is good.

Least expensive? Several systems without swivels and incorporating internal halyards are way cheaper than conventional furlers.

Best customer service? Dunno...

Jim

Tags
furler, roller furler