Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 05:01   #346

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46
Re: Best Pilothouse Sailboat?

Look no further the best pilot house twin station yacht is the Carbineer 46. Built by Moody in the Uk & Lasky in Australia. This Laurent Giles design built from the early 70's up to 1990 is a beautiful sea kindly & spacious yacht. My boat the last ever built cost well over 1 million Aud in 1990 to replace her today would be almost double thst figure. My boat has 180 Yanmar 4LH-DTE engine , hydraulic in mast furling on both masts , twin station steering ,massive lazerette, the deck house layout gives excellent vision without that down below feel of most sailing yachts. I wont part with mine until I'm too old to continue criising. I've had bigger & newer boats but this one does everything so well & so easy to single hand with the toe ( yes toe) button furling .
The beautiful lines of this Giles design gets compliments where ever I go. Like most Carnineer owners I am completely besotted by my boat . Not often does a designer get it all right this is one of those rare boats that does it all well.
Mike
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:31   #347
Marine Service Provider

yes,look no further, i found this ad ,Fantasi 44

What a beaty

FINN – Fantasi 44
paramac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 20:08   #348

Thumbs up Re: Best Pilothouse Sailboat?

Good day,
Went through the entire thread. Thank you all for your contribution. I intend to purchase a pilothouse motorsailer in the near future for use as a liveaboard in Western Canada.
As such, a proper pilothouse (with a helm, not a DS) is a must IMO.
Anything "new" since 2016?

The 42.1 Albatross is note worthy
Modelo Albatross 42.1
Out of my current budget.

Thanks!
Mister.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 05:37   #349

As the owner of a Fisher 34 Ketch rigged in the UK, I can say that in the North Sea, Scotland, and the Solent around the Isle of Wight the boat is warm, safe and comfortable. Rolls unless the mizzen is up. Hard to berth in a marina as I have no bowthruster and she has windage and a long keel. Windows are sturdy, and water shed away by high sides and purposeful bow. In a North Atlantic Crossing stow a plywood shape with batton or cut one from a berth bed in dire circumstances, for an emergency. AVS is 180 as long as windows and pilothouse door holds so make sure they are in good nick for ocean crossings including plexiglass for total security. Sails, not speedy but with a 1000 square feet of canvas very useful as a sailor, certainly makes total range limitless . In an ideal world replace diesel with diesel/electric hybrid, solar and wind generators and sails would make for silent safe world cruising.

In Northern Europe/Scandinavia for Costal Cruising at a sedate pace she is about the best boat conceivable, very good accomodation and very secure at sea, very sturdily built and with a strong crew and provisioned and set up correctly, and regularly serviced, like so many well. Ugly traditional boats will not only look after you but will attract admiring attention in any port you care to call at.
LondonFisher34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 21:32   #350

Boat: cal cruising 46

Hello Londonfisher 34

Yes I have heard nothing but admiration and tremendous respect for the fisher sailboats from people who are familiar with fishers

They are solid boats built like battleships capable of taking anything the oceans
Will throw at them

I ended up getting the bill Lapworth original Cal Cruising 46 11'years ago

It's also a full keel with a skeg rudder, a true pilothouse with inside steering and full controls. my only reservation is these large pilothouse Windows which invariably will need replacement with stronger pane glass of plexi or polycarbs, with or without storm shutters

I've seen pix of the Oyster 49 PH which looks intriguing, but I have not seen it in person
edwmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:05   #351

Boat: Nordhavn 47

I have owned the Shannon 38 pilothouse and loved it. We upgraded a few years ago to a Bruckmann 50 and I can say it tops the Shannon although at a price. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0413.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	178488  
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:19   #352
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI
Re: Best Pilothouse Sailboat? Cal Cruising 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwmama View Post
Hello Londonfisher 34

Yes I have heard nothing but admiration and tremendous respect for the fisher sailboats from people who are familiar with fishers

They are solid boats built like battleships capable of taking anything the oceans
Will throw at them
* So will my Cal 46 Hull #3 SATORI that I have had 36 years, lived aboard and cruised for 14 years. Now at age 80, with several health challenges, I must sell her. At my dock on Bayou Chico, Pensacola, FL

I ended up getting the bill Lapworth original Cal Cruising 46 11'years ago
*What hull #?

It's also a full keel with a skeg rudder, a true pilothouse with inside steering and full controls. my only reservation is these large pilothouse Windows which invariably will need replacement with stronger pane glass of plexi or polycarbs, with or without storm shutters
* I added 3/8" thick shaded plexi before sailing away in 1988. I will post pix later.

I've seen pix of the Oyster 49 PH which looks intriguing, but I have not seen it in person
***I keep getting this message to "lengthen my message by 5 characters"
?
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:50   #353

Boat: 2005 bavaria 42 cruiser and a 1982 Nauticat 52

We just purchased a 1982 Nauticat 52 hull#5, after a few years sailing in Norway, and the latest year living onboard our 2005 bavaria 42 cruiser.

We went for a Nauticat 52 because it would be really nice to sit in the pilothouse when sailing in the winter. And still have a cockpit outside for the few warm and sunny days.

There was so few of these boats for sale, that we ended up purchasing one in the canaries. So have not had the chance to take it back to Norway to try it out there yet.

But so far we do like it alot. And you can tell it has been made with safety and comfort in mind.

It even has a aux engine with a saildrive and generator in addition to the main engine with shaft and prop.

We are really looking forward to some day moving onboard our "new" old boat. For our small family, it seem to suit us really good.

It will never be a racer, but that have never been a priority for us.
Since it is an old boat, we need to upgrade her to modern standard, with lifepo4, solar and wind. and some other stuff.

Might not be the best choice for everyone, but for us, it surely was.

Was going to post some pictures, but CF don`t like photobucket links
Steini-nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 17:19   #354

After experience with previous boats, we had some very specific criteria that had to be met with our next boat:

have a pilothouse that would protect us from sun, wind and rain, and allow us to see the world at all times (that is, not require us to stand watch in an open cockpit or go down inside a cave, as we had to do with our previous boats)

be constructed from super-strong and nearly maintenance-free marine-grade aluminum, including no paint on the hull above the waterline (aluminum fishing boats are made from aluminum and not painted for good reason) — no more scraping varnish and worrying about dirty topsides for us

be able to sail well, with comfortable motion, but also be able to motor well upwind and over very long distances — to truly be a great, all-around motorsailer

be able to dry out on the boat’s own keel, so we are not at the mercy of marinas and Travelift operators to do work below the waterline, and so we can enjoy bays and harbors that dry out at low tide

have “long legs” — plenty of space to store enough food, and large tanks to hold plenty of water and fuel, for many weeks at sea

be a long-term live-aboard home — have the comforts of home, including a separate shower with plenty of hot water!

have a large engine room so that we can get around the engine easily for routine maintenance

We concluded that only a custom-made boat could do this. Luckily, we got it, and we we so glad to have insisted on the pilothouse. It's FABULOUS.

You can see pictures here:

https://pilothousemotorsailer.wordpress.com/photos/
Pilothouse46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:48   #355

Did you build her? If so please share pictures, sounds really interesting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Don't laugh but I am actually considering converting my Cal 2-27 to a pilothouse boat. The new after bulkhead will be even with the after edge of the bridge deck, so I will lose a little cockpit space. When finished I will have wheel steering inside, and the ability to connect a tiller in the cockpit for emergencies or maybe for docking/undocking. I have a history of skin cancer so I want to minimize my exposure as much as possible. Besides, I don't steer a ship outside in the weather, so why should I steer my sailboat outside? I would rather stay dry and warm, especially when I have everything outside set for self-tacking. The beer is inside, I want to be inside. A sun worshipper I am not. The only hitch other than the obvious hit on windward performance, is I might have to raise the gooseneck attachment a few inches and move the vang a little toward the mast. But it is do-able. I suppose it will be the only pilothouse 2-27 afloat, I don't know.

Pilothouses rock. Especially if you burn easily or have had skin cancer or are at risk. Or sail in cold, wet places.
Donova50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 14:15   #356
Marine Service Provider

How about hot, stinky places? In the summer of 2001 we were crossing the Chesapeake Bay tto Baltimore. It was hot, the commercial fishing boats were processing and we were down wind. So, since there was no wind, we had Ma Perky running, 6.2 knots & 8KW genset off the front end of the 4.236. We went into the pilothouse, turned on our 12,000 BTU air conditioner and enjoyed the view.

You gotta love a Pilothouse, air conditioning +++
BTW, she is for sale now. Send me a PM
Tom
Old 09-08-2020, 14:19   #357

Boat: Regina 43

Regina 43!

End of!!

I have one and they are as close to perfection you can get on the water IMHO

I often get asked about why no bimini? Each time they are surprised when I point out that I already have a solid bimini, namely, the pilothouse deckhead. It can’t be beat on scorching hot days.

Everyone gets that pilot houses are awesome in bad weather but it’s like they have a mental block about them also being awesome in hot weather.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:05   #358
AEM

Boat: Morozov Soler-35

Not many pilothouse boats on the market now. My last vision of modern pilothouse boat - Soler-39+, based on built prototype Soler-35. Bare unpainted aluminum hull, lifting keel, B&R rig, simple interior...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Soler-39+ Expedition 20.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	221136  
AEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:55   #359
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcal46skipper View Post
How about hot, stinky places? In the summer of 2001 we were crossing the Chesapeake Bay tto Baltimore. It was hot, the commercial fishing boats were processing and we were down wind. So, since there was no wind, we had Ma Perky running, 6.2 knots & 8KW genset off the front end of the 4.236. We went into the pilothouse, turned on our 12,000 BTU air conditioner and enjoyed the view.

You gotta love a Pilothouse, air conditioning +++
BTW, she is for sale now. Send me a PM
Tom

Take a look https://cal46SATORI.com
Old 21-08-2020, 06:28   #360

Anyone who knows German care to summarize the conclusion?
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Pilothouse comparison, sailboat