Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2014, 10:39   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Best Cruisers under 35' - new to 2 years old

After sifting through related CF threads on this topic, I think this merits its own thread.

My current situation: 1 to 2 years from today I will purchase a new or semi-new monohull of popular & contemporary design so I can secure benefits of latest tech and spend more time sailing vs. repair/refit. Factored in points for my decision include:
  • High volume builder making eventual sale easier if the boat is well known and more affordable to a larger pool of potential buyers.
  • Not afraid of new boat that equates to 1/3 immediate depreciation. Yes, I know nothing's perfect from any factory but to me its a trade-off, my time being more precious than $.
  • Second hand but less than 2 years old works even better but realistically a boat meeting my requirements might not be available when I'm ready.
  • Thin water sailing in Florida coastal areas. 5' draft max. Biscayne Bay, Indian River, Okeechobee passage to SW FL plus the Keys and Bahamas.
  • Length not to exceed 35'? Comes down to asking myself exactly how much creature comfort do my wife and I need to be happy. No kids, pets, and visitors will be few so its what the Admiral and I want that matters most.
  • Live aboard not really in the plans but definite sailing excursions for 1 to 3 weeks on board.
  • Offshore capability? Nothing further than the Bahamas and Havana should the Embargo be lifted anytime in the next five years. Other than that, its coastal hops from St Augustine to the Santa Rosa Sound (Pensacola) with our land base in southern Palm Beach county.
  • Preserving a portion of funds to pay for a five year coastal hopping adventure that includes the pleasures of nice marinas on occasion. I am done with minimalist sail camping! (Although when she quits I can quickly go back to it on an older tri-hull http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2008...s#.VJCCJz8cTDc)
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 10:49   #2

Re: Best Cruisers under 35' - new to 2 years old

My list in descending order: #1 (almost a tie with Jeanneau 349)
Oceanis 35 Oceanis 35 / Oceanis / Sailing Yachts - BENETEAU
Old 16-12-2014, 10:56   #3

Number two: Jeanneau 349 :
Old 16-12-2014, 11:37   #4

Seaward 32

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 11:44   #5

Are you asking what someone else might prefer over the two that you have listed and whatever else might come into production in the future?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 12:02   #6

Apologies Sailpower, I am interested in sharpening my view in this area based upon collective experience/opinion of CF members. Today's models as well as what's coming.

I appreciate Raindog suggests a Seaward 32 (Hake) as another model. I've considered and ruled it out as I recollect interior volume was less than the O35 or J349. BUT, his suggestion prompts me to have another look when I am at Strictly Sail Miami in February. And that trailerability feature is fascinating.
Old 16-12-2014, 13:19   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Seaward looks interesting to me, with interesting features, but one of your concerns is the future sale of the boat and your desire that there be a larger base of buyers looking for that brand of boat.

For that reason, the Bene or Jene would prevail.

Given the Jeanneau 349 was declared an unbeatable Best in class boat by cruising world mag, as I recall, and called a best value boat, I would think that plus the large market of people who recognize and identify with Jeanneau would aid in finding a buyer faster in the future when you are ready to sell.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 15:39   #8

Have you seen this site?

Jeanneau 349
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 19:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
I appreciate Raindog suggests a Seaward 32 (Hake) as another model. I've considered and ruled it out as I recollect interior volume was less than the O35 or J349. BUT, his suggestion prompts me to have another look when I am at Strictly Sail Miami in February. And that trailerability feature is fascinating.
I recommend the Seaward due to your cruising area. 20" draft in Florida and the Bahamas will be an enormous asset. There are large parts of Florida that will be completely off limits to a 5' draft boat that you could easily do in a Seaward.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 19:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
The Seaward looks interesting to me, with interesting features, but one of your concerns is the future sale of the boat and your desire that there be a larger base of buyers looking for that brand of boat.

For that reason, the Bene or Jene would prevail.

Given the Jeanneau 349 was declared an unbeatable Best in class boat by cruising world mag, as I recall, and called a best value boat, I would think that plus the large market of people who recognize and identify with Jeanneau would aid in finding a buyer faster in the future when you are ready to sell.
All great points Steadman. Thanks. Boarding the Seaward 46 made me stop obsessing about multihulls but all of them (Seawardmodels) seem to be specialty boats.

Quite an impressive website you have.
Old 16-12-2014, 20:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I recommend the Seaward due to your cruising area. 20" draft in Florida and the Bahamas will be an enormous asset. There are large parts of Florida that will be completely off limits to a 5' draft boat that you could easily do in a Seaward.
Darn it, your post keeps re-opening the design to my consideration! Seriously, I appreciate your relating your direct experience to my decision process.
Old 16-12-2014, 20:41   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Again.

I think any of the boats you are considering would be fine for sailing and enjoying your time on them, even if your plan is to sell it a few years later.

The Jeanneau or Beneteau or other similar ones would be fun to sail and cruise on.

But….

When I think of the area you want to sail (Florida and Bahamas and "thin water"), the thought that comes to my mind is how much PEACE OF MIND you would have knowing that you are in a boat that can go all the way up to the beach!

That is why the Seaward appeals to me as much as some cruising cats (which may have more room but unneeded room in your case). Those lifting keels and lifting rudders are cool. Sail right up to the beach if you want!

But even more important than that "peace of mind" when it comes to navigating shallow waters, I would enjoy exploring in areas that no one else goes to before (even if they are small islands and the keys) and knowing that even IF the water gets very shallow, I would not be at great risk (of course you should always take care to avoid breaking waves on reefs).

So, I agree with Raindog. I think that "beachability" would be a BIG plus in my mind. I would utilize that ability to explore and "Go where no boat has gone before."

And that would be FUN FUN FUN to me as I would go shallow. After that, you may decide you need more boat, a bigger boat, etc. Then sell it and move up or over to something else, knowing that you have already "done it" in the beachable boat. The next bigger boat may be limited in draft, but take you to other places. That said, the Seawards have deep draft when the keel is down.

But like I said earlier, any of those boats you are considering would be NICE to have and sail.

Also: Thanks for the comment on my site (one of mine). I am glad you liked it.
An artist always appreciates comments from people who like his or her work.
Of course that page you linked is really an old bio page and only has a few photos on it, mostly self-portraits so my clients can see me before speaking with me. Many more images of my work (various subjects) are shown on other pages via links and especially my most recent multi-year project to photograph horses and equestrians in the American West. I call that my "Equestrian Project."
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 08:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Have you seen this site?

Jeanneau 349

I checked it out, looks promising but it appears to be just getting started. Thanks.
Old 17-12-2014, 08:33   #14

Best Cruisers under 35' - new to 2 years old

Appreciate your insight Steadman. To stay on topic, PM me with links to your more recent sites as I am fascinated with learning how creative minds evolve their use of digital to expand their personal experience of being in the world.

I do seriously like gunk holing on a beachable boat, my last one being a quite used Hobie 16 that waited for me in the parking lot of my Navarre Beach condo but that's all gone now as a casualty of hurricanes and economic meltdown. Being fortunate enough to recover from all of that, my next boat purchase has to balance against my current land base, available funds to sustain the lifestyle and satisfying our appetite for coastal cruising with some level of amenity. I will take another look at the 32RK though as your points are appealing. She's got to buy into it, and our first 32RK pass did not excite her like the salon and huge cockpit of the Oceanis 35.

So I need a stable platform that is large enough for temporary loading of whatever we need for the next three week cruise and small enough to be affordable over time. I sense a theme emerging that feels like any specialty use like beachable or true blue water capability comes at a cost. The idea of refining a sailing profile is an important aspect of purchase. This thread and its results helps to that end.
Old 17-12-2014, 09:03   #15

Boat: Scout 30

Here's another vote for the Seaward. We went on the 32 at the St Pete show & it was very cool. Well laid out & high quality. I can't stress enough how liberating extreme shoal draft can be in Florida.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser