Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 05:23   #181
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15
Re: Best buy in a solid cruising boat (go anywhere, $30k or less)

I would second the advice to keep what you have. Baldwin's videos on how to put an outboard in a well are very complete and I am sure he would give you the measurements on where to make the big cut. It becomes a very slick set-up and makes it possible to have a boat with zero through hulls. He has numerous other projects for a Triton that could keep an owner busy for a lifetime, including making the boat almost front collision sink-proof.

The recommended 6 HP outboard will only burn about .6 gallons per hour at WOT and half that at cruise, so figure .3 gal per hour to go 4.5 kts, not bad. Baldwin sailed his Triton around for a long time with just a sculling oar and no engine, the setup should be fine for getting you in and out of harbors if you have good sailing skills otherwise. Further, you can get a used 6 HP long shaft OB motor anywhere, and inexpensively- which eliminates another huge worry for the frugal sailor... the dreaded "I was bored so I pulled the head on my Yanmar" syndrome.

The Triton is still the Best Buy for a solid cruising boat, go anywhere for 30K or less based on acquistion costs, sailing qualities, headroom, availability and many other factors. An Alberg 30 would be number 2. JMO.

I'd love to have a Cal 40. But it would be $35K for a beat up one, a year of my life to restore it and God knows how much money... not to mention it would be more difficult to single hand and the interior wouldn't be as liveable as what I already have. Knowing the difference between wants and needs is a difficult thing.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:54   #182

Just watched the Baldwin videos again.

It looks great but I keep feeling this lingering "how does it float" feeling. Can't figure out what worst case scenario would cause it to sink, but a monster breaking wave that swamped the cockpit and took the stern down below the waterline?

I know James is a great worst case scenario thinker...have you talked to him about that?
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:18   #183

Boat: Pearson Triton

The well is completely closed off from below -- mine just opens to cockpit. Both cockpit lockers are also sealed off. On my Triton, the opening slot for the outboard is essentially a huge cockpit scupper. Even with the sliding boards in place it drains quickly.

In fact, with the boards in place I doubt you could ever fill it from a passing wave. I actually saw the stern partially awash once with the boards open (monster power boat wake and trying to sail in very light wind) and a few seconds later looked into the well and it was already completely drained.

James says the design is such that a wave filling the cockpit would drain out the two forward scuppers AND the huge "scupper" where the outboard well was cut.

Someone mentioned no thru hulls. I have 5. Two for the head but these I might eliminate with composting head. One for sink. I suppose you could live without a sink but that sounds really inconvenient. Two for the cockpit scuppers -- these are each contained in the watertight cockpit lockers. You need the scuppers as the well is not flush with the cockpit sole and even though most of the cockpit could drain out the outboard slot you'd be left with about 6 inches to bail by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:21   #184

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

[QUOTE=oldragbaggers;1671539]Sully, it's not that it's so hard to get a loan on a boat. It's just that they have become much more restrictive about what they will/will not finance. We have checked boat financing for older boats within this past year and this is what we have been told.

The general rules:

Nothing older than 20 years. There are exceptions to this of course (according to Trident Funding) but this is going to be mostly high dollar, well known boats in exceptional condition with a high appraisal to loan value.

No loans less than $25K - PERIOD. And you must have a 20% down payment. They only lend 80% of the purchase price, not 80% of the appraisal value.

Well neither of these is actually true based on my experience. I went to the bank and said I wanted $10k to buy a boat, they asked what kind and I said a 1976 C&C 27. Two weeks later I had an extra $10k in my account.

Now why would I want to do that? So I could get on the water now, so I could play with systems now and so I could spend the winter thinking about what I'd learned now and what I wanted to do differently next year.

I expect to sell, give away or keep it as a second boat but My target is 37-50ft for live aboard. And to prepare for that boat I wanted to be on a boat right now, not next year.

So that is my experience as to why you might want to get a loan for a cheap boat and why you might want to do t right now rather than later. And as I said I was able to get a loan for a cheap, old boat. YMMV
Old 08-11-2014, 16:01   #185
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver25 View Post
Someone mentioned no thru hulls. I have 5. Two for the head but these I might eliminate with composting head. One for sink. I suppose you could live without a sink but that sounds really inconvenient. Two for the cockpit scuppers -- these are each contained in the watertight cockpit lockers. You need the scuppers as the well is not flush with the cockpit sole and even though most of the cockpit could drain out the outboard slot you'd be left with about 6 inches to bail by hand.

I should have clarified that I meant dangerous below the waterline through-hulls, not sink through-hulls. Above the waterline through-hulls don't cause problems, just as the slit in the stern locker of a Triton for the outboard doesn't cause problems because it is above the waterline and sealed off from the rest of the boat.

Simple systems are one of the many advantages of a smaller boat. But probably the biggest one is docking ease even without a powerful propulsion system. A Triton is just not intimidating to handle in close quarters, even compared to my 34 footer. And then a 40 footer would have such a nice shower and head, but everything becomes so much more expensive and complicated...

Be sure to check out Baldwin's V-berth modification. He raised the platform and surrounded the hull with watertight water storage locker compartments. He used to worry about hitting something at night and holing the hull, but now if he does the injured watertight locker would contain the holing. Pretty ingenious.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 16:26   #186

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
...Above the waterline through-hulls don't cause problems...
Sorry but this simply isn't true. These are the very thru-hulls likely to cause problems as they are often located behind furniture. They most often have no seacock. And they can be submerged when the boat heels, from wave action, or when the boat is heavily loaded.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 16:39   #187

IMHO the whole "fear of thru hulls" thing is grossly exaggerated.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 16:43   #188

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Agreed! While they represent a potential risk, simple inspection and occasional maintenance of the inner bits (clamps, hoses, etc) will reduce that risk to the inconsequential.

Locating them where access for maintenance and damage control is essential, though, and so many boats ignore this fact... shocking as it may be!

Jim
Old 08-11-2014, 16:54   #189

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
I don't know, there was this Bene next to me in Shelter bay, had a plastic thru hull right above the water line break off inside while he was was in his slip.. It was calm so he had the day to fix it. I think it was his a/c drain
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 18:41   #190
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tob View Post
Mostly American boats in the list. Is it possible to find American boats (they might suit me) in Northern Europe? Yachtworld suggests not, mainly u.s. Addresses?

I got about usd 60000 to spend. Need something solid, similar specs as thread starter. Would like an aft cabin (or two small) with passage from the saloon). We are a family with small kids. Prefer to buy it in Sweden or neighbor countries, Northern or western Europe.

Should I shy away from wooden boats, e g Colin Archer 39? In the Baltic Sea we don't have the shipworm. Can one protect from it tropical waters where we are heading?
Howdy!

I don't own a wood boat, but I would if it was the right fit for my needs and I could develop the skills to maintain it well or have enough funds to keep a good wood boat shipwright on retainer.

$60,000 (€48K) or 60,000 Euros ($75K) should purchase a nice boat, as I see many boats from 1980s that are in that price range or below.

_______

Since you are in Europe, and this thread/topic/discussion has focused on boats common to the American or USA market, and is driven by the interest of an American buyer, I will start a new thread/topic in the forum to discuss other boats that may be different. I invite anyone interested to view this European Boats discussion below:

Best European Cruising Boats $60,000 (€48K) or Less

Best European Cruising Boats $60,000 (€48K) or Less - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

I am particularly interested in other brands/lines that may not be as commonly known to those Americans or others outside of Europe.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 18:50   #191
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anyone following the Rimas guy drifting across the pacific in an sj24?

Sort of the polar opposite skill and experience level from Webb chiles in his Moore 24.

But both in inexpensive boats that would typically be considered unsuitable, and both boats doing ok.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 20:16   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Anyone following the Rimas guy drifting across the pacific in an sj24?

Sort of the polar opposite skill and experience level from Webb chiles in his Moore 24.

But both in inexpensive boats that would typically be considered unsuitable, and both boats doing ok.

I have been. Appears to be a train wreck waiting to happen.

Current fashion seems to be though that if you can't afford a big white boat you can't do anything. Seems like people did a lot more with less 25 or so years ago.

That said, singlehanding before gps seems crazy to me. I can't imagine adding all that nav work in addition to sailing the boat. But I guess you do what you have to.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:59   #193

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Maybe, with old style bronze fittings.

New EC approved fittings are (self censored). Beware.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:16   #194

A thing I really don't like about the triton is that the cockpit scuppers are integral to the hull, there is no through hull fitting, just a fiberglass tube.

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with them, and those who have tried to replace them with real through hulls seem to end up miserable with poorer results but I hate to think if something broke loose and bashed one of them what would happen. It would be bad.

That said they are sturdy looking and have lasted a long long time.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:00   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Maybe, with old style bronze fittings.

New EC approved fittings are (self censored). Beware.

b.
Yes... maybe I should have said "good thru hulls"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising