Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 08:32   #1

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Best Boat(s) for Caribbean Cruising Under 100k

Looking for the sage advice of the forum on possibilities for Caribbean cruising monohulls between 50-100k. It will be two adults and two young children (three cabins not needed), departing from Florida taking the Thorny Path. Not planning any long ocean passages but certainly understand that not just any boat will do. We are also open to buying a boat already in Caribbean (mostly likely the Virgins).

I don't want this to turn into a production boat debate, but we are certainly more than open to production boats as well as any other. We have looked into Out Islands, Benes, Jeanes, CSYs, Tayana 37s, Irwins, Endeavours, etc.

I'm curious what boat(s) you all think would be good for our purpose, or what qualities you think would be necessary or unnecessary to have for the Caribbean. Any other things to consider would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
Homespun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:32   #2

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
I think that a very necessary quality would be a shoal draft. Many areas of the caribbean are off limits to those who draw 6 ft.
Spencer
Old 11-02-2010, 12:39   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Buy something with good ventilation below, especially in the sleeping areas, and a nice, comfortable cockpit that already has or can accept a dodger and full bimini, 'cause that's where you'll spend most of your time. The sailing conditions here are such that almost any sound boat can be sailed safely, if you keep an eye to the weather and don't do anything stupid.
Old 11-02-2010, 13:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Buy something with good ventilation below, especially in the sleeping areas, and a nice, comfortable cockpit that already has or can accept a dodger and full bimini, 'cause that's where you'll spend most of your time. The sailing conditions here are such that almost any sound boat can be sailed safely, if you keep an eye to the weather and don't do anything stupid.
Couldn't have said it better.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 13:17   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
good ventilation would probably entail at least 10 opening ports and 4 or more hatches as well. many of the new boats seem to overlook this and have fixed ports and skylights.
Old 11-02-2010, 19:16   #6

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Used Southerly with a swing keel.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 19:49   #7

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homespun View Post
Looking for the sage advice of the forum on possibilities for Caribbean cruising monohulls between 50-100k. It will be two adults and two young children (three cabins not needed), departing from Florida taking the Thorny Path. Not planning any long ocean passages but certainly understand that not just any boat will do. We are also open to buying a boat already in Caribbean (mostly likely the Virgins).

I don't want this to turn into a production boat debate, but we are certainly more than open to production boats as well as any other. We have looked into Out Islands, Benes, Jeanes, CSYs, Tayana 37s, Irwins, Endeavours, etc.

I'm curious what boat(s) you all think would be good for our purpose, or what qualities you think would be necessary or unnecessary to have for the Caribbean. Any other things to consider would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think that you could do any better than a used Endeavour 40 in that price range.
Pros are
2 true seperate staterooms. The vberth which will sleep you kids, and they have their own head, and a adequate sized aft stateroom, with head for you and your wife. Large center cockpit allows for a good split down below. good tankage. 5.5 foot draft. 4 large opening hatches plus compainonway, and 16 opening ports gives a lot of ventilation.
Perkins engines, Good reliable rebuildable. Parts available all over.
Nice sized salon, with 2 to 4 more berths depending on pull outs on the salon settees. Galley is average but adequate.
Made in US, so stainless and metal on boat is good. Everything on boat replaceable by original manufactors still in business.
Price. can be had for 50-80K in good shape. Fairly active owners group.
The #42 is a better version of it but a bit more money say 100-120K
The E43 is larger, heavier, but ketch rigged. All are similar in layout, but the E43 has more headroom and storage. But sails a bit slower in 10-15knts. Gets better above that.
Enough available on market that you can have a pick. These boats hold their value if properly taken care of.

Cons: Tanks are in bilge, so if original, will most likely needing replacement.
Mast step can be a problem, but most are not.
ports leak. Will need new gaskets or new ports. (not a big deal)
Most of these boats will be preowned by multiple people, so depends what they did to it, could be good, could be bad....
PM me if you need more information.

Bob
Old 11-02-2010, 21:25   #8

Boat: Ta Shing Tashiba 40
Considering your sail plan, the size of your family, and the area you will be sailing, I don't you can go wrong with a Beneteau.
Pacific Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 00:53   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 57
There is a reason why the majority of charter monohulls in the Caribbean are Beneteau and Jeanneau models, because they are perfectly suited to conditions there. If you can get over the psychological hurdle of buying an ex-charter boat your dollars will go a very long way in getting you a well-adapted boat already kitted out with what you need to get going.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:28   #10

Here ya go, doesn't get any better. By a nice dodger and bimini with side cloth and go play.

1985 Wauquiez Pretorien Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:47   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Here ya go, doesn't get any better. By a nice dodger and bimini with side cloth and go play.

1985 Wauquiez Pretorien Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
I looked at that boat but bought another Pretorian so I'm a bit bias. Pretorian are rock solid and will take you anywhere. Beautiful down below and great deck layout. Ours was owned by Hal Roth which should tell you something. The boat has a nice separate aft cabin which would be great for a couple young children. The dealer told us this boat already has a dodger but it was on the hard and had been taken off so I didn't actually see it.

If you want more specifics just PM me. I'd make an offer in a heart beat on this one.
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:55   #12

and, they are very good sailing boats......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I looked at that boat but bought another Pretorian so I'm a bit bias. Pretorian are rock solid and will take you anywhere. Beautiful down below and great deck layout. Ours was owned by Hal Roth which should tell you something. The boat has a nice separate aft cabin which would be great for a couple young children. The dealer told us this boat already has a dodger but it was on the hard and had been taken off so I didn't actually see it.

If you want more specifics just PM me. I'd make an offer in a heart beat on this one.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:42   #13

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Sorry but I just don't see it on these boats. They are not good looking, either topsides or below. For the same price you can get a E40 that has a lot more room and storage.
But never having owned one, or sailed on one, I guess I would just have to say...to each his own.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:06   #14

Wow. Thanks everyone for the great information thus far. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to give your thoughts. Very kind of you all.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:23   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
There is a reason why the majority of charter monohulls in the Caribbean are Beneteau and Jeanneau models, because they are perfectly suited to conditions there. If you can get over the psychological hurdle of buying an ex-charter boat your dollars will go a very long way in getting you a well-adapted boat already kitted out with what you need to get going.
Good point. That hurdle really isn't that big for me. The only two things of concern to me with ex-charters are the usually high hours on the engines and resale. However, I have had people tell me that the high hours aren't as bad because the engines have always been professionally maintained, so they are often still in good shape. Resale may not be a huge issue either, but it just seems it is a turn off for a lot of people once they hear a vessel was used in charter. If we find the right I'm absolutely not going to rule it out simply because it was in charter.

Tags
Caribbean