Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 06:26   #16

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Here ya go, doesn't get any better. By a nice dodger and bimini with side cloth and go play.

1985 Wauquiez Pretorien Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
I actually like the Wauquiez Pretoriens, but the 35s seem to be lacking in fuel and water capacity at 21 and 55 gallons respectively. But maybe there are plenty of boats in the Caribbean with similar capacities whose crew have learned to adapt. Just seems light to me for a family of four.

Any opinions on that?
Homespun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:28   #17

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
Try looking at the CSY's , they were built for the Caribbean....lots of of them out there in your price range......for 100k you can find one that's been refitted and ready to go...plus they are solid glass no core....and an encapsulated keel.....damn near bullet proof.................Ed
Old 12-02-2010, 06:41   #18

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
I dont understand why resale value would be an issue, after all,you would be getting it cheaper when you buy it. On the engine hours,i would rather have a diesel with high hours put on in a short time but maintained than one with low hours accumulated over a long period.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:47   #19

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
I dont understand why resale value would be an issue, after all,you would be getting it cheaper when you buy it. On the engine hours,i would rather have a diesel with high hours put on in a short time but maintained than one with low hours accumulated over a long period.
Steve.
Steve, thanks for your input. I didn't mean resale value. I meant resale in general and the ability to sell it. Because so many people do have an aversion to ex-charter boats the pool of buyers seems to be greatly diminished, taking longer to sell the boat. But I don't have any first-hand knowledge of that, so it could very well be an unfounded concern. Again, though, this isn't a huge concern of ours, but it is something to consider. But buying an ex-charter already in the Caribbean is high on our list of possibilities.
Homespun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:57   #20

look at these .......csy 44 Boats For Sale
Old 13-02-2010, 04:42   #21

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homespun View Post
I actually like the Wauquiez Pretoriens, but the 35s seem to be lacking in fuel and water capacity at 21 and 55 gallons respectively. But maybe there are plenty of boats in the Caribbean with similar capacities whose crew have learned to adapt. Just seems light to me for a family of four.

Any opinions on that?
You're correct, tankage is a short coming, especially if you have a family of four. We are just two and it hasn't been an issue. You might look at something like this, which has lots of tankage and a good price for a very good boat:

1975 Whitby 42 Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 04:51   #22

CSY's have huge tankage........400 gal water/ 100 gal fuel......and 21 cu.ft of refrigeration.........not a lot of bright work to maintain ....Sea worthy and safe...Great sail plan................and classic cutter lines...23 ports and hatches to open for ventilation . Go's to a 20 knt wind like she's on rails......Ed
Old 13-02-2010, 06:32   #23

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Tayana 37's were mentioned in the OP and have a lot of supporters, but my favorite Tayana is the 42. They have less teak to maintain, a more modern underbody and are better sailer. Here's one at a great price (usually they are well over $100K):

1984 Tayana Vancouver (Recent Price Reduction) Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean