Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16   #1

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Best Anchor in South Pacific

Let's say that you're a writer, looking for the most peaceful anchor there is ... someplace in the south pacific. What you want is solitude, peace, quiet ... absolutely no hassles, no government intrusions. You just want to lay at anchor. What are the best choices, in the opinion of the readers of this site? I consider the scope of inquiry to include all of the NZ area as well - even Tasmania. What say?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:25   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Best anchor in south pacific

CHESTERFIELDS......
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54   #3

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Chesterfields! With twenty historic shipwrecks on the reef there - you must take from my post that I'm the adventure writer!

Actually - the Chesterfield lagoon looks pretty good. Little bit like Mangareva, maybe ...

Thanks - I'll put that on the list of uninhabited places. What about inhabited ones?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:03   #4

Apologies i read this as a part of your req's 'What you want is solitude, peace, quiet ... absolutely no hassles, no government intrusions'.

We love the isolation, the fishing the beachcombing without footprints in front of us...

Cheers
Old 12-12-2012, 11:19   #5

I see there's a twenty nm gap through the reef into the lagoon. I suspect the other answers will come when the Aussies wake up in about five hours ...
Old 12-12-2012, 11:20   #6

Yep this Aussie is far from home.....
Old 12-12-2012, 14:40   #7

Lagoon4us: It might take an Aussie to like the northern part of that lagoon! It looks a little better 10 nm south of Chesterfield. I can see why you take a cat into the northern section. That seems crazy, no offense.

You can tell I'm not so familiar with that neck of the woods. You jest, perhaps?

The southern end of the lagoon looks OK ... or is it? About fifty nm seems fairly clear of rock. Where do you do your beachcombing?
Old 12-12-2012, 14:57   #8

Re: Best Anchor in South Pacific

I think I've been had, haven't I?
Old 12-12-2012, 15:02   #9

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Bay of Islands, Northland NZ. Plenty of tranquil spots but within easy reach of civilization for stores and socializing. A bit further north Whangaroa harbour, beautiful and very very quite. Not much in the way of stores and limited social life.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 15:02   #10

Boat: O'Day 28

Dunno. I figured you were the one who was joking around. If so, those Auzzies will have your stern! It's just guns, guns, guns with them.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 16:30   #11

Mex: Thanks for the North Auckland tip.

Lagoon4us: I know you blokes can single-hand the cat around the reef all day long ... and later that night, half snoozing, with one eye open ...

Hutch and I, given our cumulative level of expertise, will probably look for areas where we don't need a full time bow spotter!

Hatteras: We live in Raleigh area.
Old 12-12-2012, 17:28   #12

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Sailor Hutch, this photo was posted originally by Matauwhi as one of his favourite anchorages. If you search google maps you will find it as Waiwhapuka bay on Moturoa Island, Bay of Islands. It is about 8 miles from Russell or Pahia and a bit further to Opua.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Favorite Anchorage (2).jpg
Views:	196
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	51097  
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 20:35   #13

I remember an amazing lagoon area in New Caledonia, Isle of Pines if I remember right, that might fit your needs to a T. A good distance from Noumea, and yet within the reef.
Here in the Caribbean, there is no charge to anchor in the French islands and no immigration hassles that I'm aware of, so I'd imagine it's the same there.
Added bonus; good cheap wine, cheese and French bread.
The Society Islands have one advantage over every other area in the SoPac; they only get hurricanes about twice a century. They do have restrictive laws regarding long term residency, but if you can show that you have a steady income from outside the islands, they can be quite accommodating.
If you end up in either place, how about a copy of your finished masterpiece?
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 05:41   #14

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
...someplace in the south pacific. What you want is solitude, peace, quiet ... absolutely no hassles, no government intrusions. ....
Beveridge Reef!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 05:53   #15

HA Hutch you got it!!!

JIMBO Beveridge gets my vote! I can only imagine the Rosy Job fish there, Chesterfields they are like rockets...

Beveridge wins!!!!!!!!

Tags
anchor