Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2021, 18:36   #1

Best 35ish foot Liveaboard for marina life?

Hey Everyone! Looking for suggestions on a liveaboard sailboat.

Here are our conditions that are going to influence the decision:
Budget - Up to ~75k, but nice to stay around 50-60k.
Up to ~35ish feet in length.
We (my partner and I) will be in Southern California.
We would be sailing to the Channel Islands/Catalina for the weekends, and doing day sails around, but no long passages to Hawaii in the forseable future.
I am 6'1, standing headroom (or as close to it as possible) is a plus.
Full head with shower.
Not looking to break any speed records, prioritize comfort over speed.
We are still working full time (we are in our late 20s, early 30s), will need to be in a marina for internet and will be commuting every day.

I have been looking around at various makes/models and have some ideas, but want to hear what you guys have in mind! Thanks!
kgsoloman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 05:31   #2

Boat: Spindrift 43
Re: Best 35ish foot Liveaboard for marina life?

I’d recommend a Catalina 36. They typically sell right around your budget.

They have a great layout, good headroom (I’m 6’2” and I don’t recall having any issues), ana a really big owners network. There were over 2200 of them sold- and for good reason. They’re a good boat all around.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 05:41   #3

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

IP35 is cavernous inside for a 35' boat. 6'4" headroom, two private staterooms with solid doors and a separate shower stall with seat in the head. They don't point well and have well-documented chainplate issues, but those can be resolved.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 09:17   #4

Tartan 37 might work. My buddies selling his for around your target price.

Tartan37.com • View topic - 1982 Tartan 37 For Sale
Fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 10:35   #5

Boat: Pearson 367

A Catalina 34-36 is a great boat for this area. There are a million of them there and will resale easily. Now a word of warning, do a custom Google search of trying to find a live aboard slip in SoCal. It's difficult to impossible.
Old 21-06-2021, 09:11   #6

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will take a look all the boats. The Catalina 36 is looking like a good option, thanks!
Old 21-06-2021, 22:22   #7

We are located in the Oxnard area where I guess you plan to stay. Make sure they have the slip available for the boat. They shut down a marina for upgrade not far and slips are hard to get to impossible to get. No idea when they plan to open again.
You need a min of 35ft for a live aboard. I think it also $350 on top of the cost of the slip.
Some people having a hard time selling a boat as there is no place to put it for the new owner.
One reason we got our boat at a good price.
all other sales didn't go thru buyers couldn't find a place to move after the purchase.
unrelated to the boat. No idea how is the traffic in Canada. If you not going to work in venture area close by. you might have to plan on 2-3 hour drive each way.
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 10:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
We are located in the Oxnard area where I guess you plan to stay. Make sure they have the slip available for the boat. They shut down a marina for upgrade not far and slips are hard to get to impossible to get. No idea when they plan to open again.
You need a min of 35ft for a live aboard. I think it also $350 on top of the cost of the slip.
Some people having a hard time selling a boat as there is no place to put it for the new owner.
One reason we got our boat at a good price.
all other sales didn't go thru buyers couldn't find a place to move after the purchase.
unrelated to the boat. No idea how is the traffic in Canada. If you not going to work in venture area close by. you might have to plan on 2-3 hour drive each way.
Thanks for the insight! Possible plans include a marina in Ventura. But will keep an eye out for any info/spots in other places. It would be great to be up in SB, but ive heard that place is nearly impossible to get a slip at. I am aware of the "chicken or the egg" issue with boats and slips. Always a tricky situation.

As for traffic, I grew up in SD and only recently moved up to Vancouver about 2 years ago, so I know the horrors of southern California traffic haha. thanks!

Tags
liveaboard