Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2017, 21:55   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
Berth Lengths for Albin Vega, Rawson 30, Alberg 30 and the like?

Hi

So there seem to be a lot of people asking about standing room below decks in small sailboats. I have little hope of finding a boat I want with over 6'8" of head room so I am expecting to have to duck/crouch/ sit and lie down when below...no big deal.

What is a big deal is the length of the available berths. I can't sleep crunched up; have to be able to lie flat. I don't mind having my feet sticking off the edge but I need to stretch out. That being said I like the low hassle of the small boats with deck stepped masts. I'm currently leaning toward the Albin Vega because the design seems to favour function above all else (except the big oblong windows). I don't want to have chainplates running through wood nor do I want to polish or stain cosmetic features above and beyond the hull and decks themselves. The berths don't look too long though :/ Anyone have one of these little boats that knows what the berth lengths are? I am hoping, at worst, I will have to throw a board into the middle of the "V" in the v berth and sleep in the middle with my feet hanging off the end and stuff on either side to prevent rolling around. I'll almost always be singlehanding except maybe once in a while when accompanied by my friends (mere mortals of a more normal size ) so this space hogging tactic isn't a big deal.

But yeah, if you have any of the aforementioned boats or a similar design, please let me know what I can expect.

I'm also considering an Island Packet 27 (one incarnation or another) but haven't done much research on the design itself. If I understand correctly those boats have cored decks and hulls which don't sound like they would be in good shape after 20-30 years (the vintage I can afford). I also don't have a lot of faith in the way the rudder is attached to the keel on those (nor do I want wheel steering) but have no experience with any IP boats. They do seem to have roomy pilot berths, though, and whatever length they are listed at seems irrelevant as most if not all 27 footers I've seen seem to have some other form of seating/sleeping area just beyond said berth.
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 22:37   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Berth Lengths for Albin Vega, Rawson 30, Alberg 30 and the like?

Can you handle sleeping head first in the v-berth of such a small boat? Especially when underway, or at anchor when the weather kicks up. As the motion that far forward can get pretty obnoxious.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 23:44   #3

Boat: Currently in between

I read a book by Annie Dike about a friend of hers who bought a Nonsuch. He did so because at 6'4" he "had room below". Not sure how that translates to berth size and no, he wasn't 6'8" but throwing it out there as you may want to explore those in your search.
Old 25-01-2017, 23:50   #4

If memory serves, this book shows how a boat's interior was extensively modified, including the berths. And I think that it was an Albin Vega. Might be worth checking. https://www.amazon.com/Upgrading-Cru...ising+sailboat

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 26-01-2017, 00:24   #5

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

We met a couple sailing an Albin Vega about 2-1/2 yrs ago in the Caribbean. He wasn't 6'8" but I seem to remember him being a few inches taller than me and I'm about 6'2".

You might want to contact them and get some measurements. Also I see that their boat will likely be coming up for sale soon.
Sailing Tarka

Good luck,
Mark
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 00:49   #6

Here are some links perhaps looking into, via the site The Atom Voyages, about journies & adventures in small boats. Including the Albin Vega.
Atom Voyages - Home
Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List
Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List Vega 27
The Albin Vega
Albin Vega Worldwide Page
Albin Vega Cruising Yacht Review
In the last link, above, there's a good description of the berths as well as the interior in the Albin Vega.

Also, while it's been quite a number of years since I was in an Albin Vega, I recall having the impression of it being pretty tiny. Which, I'm but 6' & 220lb, & was living on a Ranger 33 at the time. Which, it being small inside isn't surprising given the design's age, & type of boat. Most boats of that era had little to no elbow room. Especially ones akin to Cape Dory's & similar.

Old 26-01-2017, 08:10   #7

Boat: 1978 Cal 2-27

Quote from the last linked website:

The Vega has comfortable bunks for four, two 6-footers and two of 6 feet 6 inches, but it would be a mistake to plan on long ocean crossings with four adults. Two would be plenty.

I have no personal knowledge of whether this is accurate.

Rick M.
rickmartyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 09:28   #8

Boat: Seaward 25

Not on your list but I made an easy modification to the V berth on our Seaward 25 and it is now 7ft down the center. It is my humble opinion that all boat designers are 5'6" tall and never have to get up in the middle of the night to pee!

Attached is a pic of the v-berth memory foam laid out on our King bed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2999 small.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	140168  
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 10:01   #9

Boat: Currently in between

Canyon that is a nice upgrade and makes perfect sense!
Old 26-01-2017, 13:20   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

So you are right, finding a 6-8 bunk will be a challenge. But in my Columbia 29, mk 1 early model, the settee bunk could easily be extended into the hatch space under the cockpit another 5 feet if needed.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 15:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
So you are right, finding a 6-8 bunk will be a challenge. But in my Columbia 29, mk 1 early model, the settee bunk could easily be extended into the hatch space under the cockpit another 5 feet if needed.
Thank you Don, I will add the Columbia 29 to my list of boats to look for Have you sailed an Alberg 30? The two look very similar, how do they compare?
Old 26-01-2017, 15:59   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
Not on your list but I made an easy modification to the V berth on our Seaward 25 and it is now 7ft down the center. It is my humble opinion that all boat designers are 5'6" tall and never have to get up in the middle of the night to pee!

Attached is a pic of the v-berth memory foam laid out on our King bed
I love that you have a small sailboat and a huge king size bed at home, lol.

How tall are you?
Old 26-01-2017, 16:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmartyn View Post
Quote from the last linked website:

The Vega has comfortable bunks for four, two 6-footers and two of 6 feet 6 inches, but it would be a mistake to plan on long ocean crossings with four adults. Two would be plenty.

I have no personal knowledge of whether this is accurate.

Rick M.
Well that's certainly encouraging! Maybe there's hope for me after all, haha

Highly unlikely I would be on any long trips with more than one other person. A week with one of my (thankfully short) good friends and her normal sized boyfriend would be as crowded as it gets and both of them are used to cramped quarters aboard boats/ships
Old 26-01-2017, 16:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Here are some links perhaps looking into, via the site The Atom Voyages, about journies & adventures in small boats. Including the Albin Vega.
Atom Voyages - Home
Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List
Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List Vega 27
The Albin Vega
Albin Vega Worldwide Page
Albin Vega Cruising Yacht Review
In the last link, above, there's a good description of the berths as well as the interior in the Albin Vega.

Also, while it's been quite a number of years since I was in an Albin Vega, I recall having the impression of it being pretty tiny. Which, I'm but 6' & 220lb, & was living on a Ranger 33 at the time. Which, it being small inside isn't surprising given the design's age, & type of boat. Most boats of that era had little to no elbow room. Especially ones akin to Cape Dory's & similar.
Thank you for finding all of those links, looks like I've got some reading to do.

Yes I am sure the boat is cramped below. I am hopeful it won't be an issue for me since I am normally enclosed in a highway tractor for the majority of my life. I gather there are trade offs with every aspect of boat design but the Vega, for me at least, seems to be the right mix of trade offs. Looks like it'd go to wind better than some of the other plastic classics and, more importantly, seems like it has a lot less maintenance required since I didn't see any wood on it aside from the grab rails which I'd probably replace ASAP with aluminum or stainless like I saw on another Vega in Ontario. I could probably get a different boat but odds are it would be much more expensive and considering how cheaply I can live a ten thousand dollar difference is not an insignificant sum

Who knows, though, I could wind up hating the design.

What did you think of the Vega's sailing characteristics? Did you get to sail upwind?
Old 26-01-2017, 16:24   #15

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Looks like it'd go to wind better than some of the other plastic classics
The PHRF on the Vega is a slow 246.

My boat, A Bristol 27, is similar at 240 which means it's a tad faster but neither boat will "go to windward" very well as compared to a fin keeled boat especially if it has a deeper keel and is a bit longer

A Catalina 27 is 207.

C&C 27-1 is 198

A J27 which will point is 128
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 30, Albin Vega, rawson