Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 05:45   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
Beneteau Oceanis 32 from 1989

Hi guys.

I've been looking at some fairly cheap cruising boats that would be more or less suitable for liveaboard use around the Med area, and this ad for an Oceanis 32 struck my eye.

Most of the crusing boats within my price range (20 - 25 k/eur) are from the beginning of the 80's - end of the 70s and are usually around 28 to 30 feet long, but here we have a newer, somewhat roomier boat with a fairly new, powerful 27hp 2005 yanmar.

Now I think it's fairly obvious (correct me if I am wrong) assumption that the boat used to be chartered, and my question is, what does that actually mean? I.e. should I just run from any offers with the dreaded "charter" past? If not, then what are the possible/obvious pitfalls in purchasing an ex-charter boat? Also, is the boat suspiciously cheap or is that a fairly normal price to ask for an ex-charter production boat?
Asmodeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Thats an Oceanis 321... I bought a 1987 model in St Martin in 2000 for $25K...
She was a great boat that I solo'd non-stop back to the UK... she took 47 days and averaged 95nm/day... 15 days of which were light or no wind.
The only problem I had with mine was leaks around the glass going round the front/top of the cabin.. oh and she popped a stay... comfortable sail... never felt unsafe... check the floor round the keel bolts.. indentations could indicate a grounding at some time...
They're a nice cruising boat...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:29   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
If it was a charter boat, I suspect its now in private hands. Photos make it look quite good if it is ex charter, shame they didn't clean up the soap when they spilt diesel around the filler in the stern photo. Interior looks quite presentable, I would have no problems owning her.

As we have pointed out before on here its the big ticket items that need checking. However, a new engine in 2005 is a bonus. Condition of sails is unknown and the rigging is now 9 years old, so due replacement in a few years. Worst case is perhaps replacing the sails one a year and a week of graft

Ask for a copy of that 2008 survey report and at the same time ask what actions have been taken to rectify any faults.

Final thought, if you bought her, you would have a cheap sensible sized yacht in the Med The first time you hit a jetty too hard you will just strug and carry on. Whilst if you did the same to a £100k Bavaria there would be tears.

Is it worth a cheap flight to view, subject to that survey report, yes I think so.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:41   #4

Boat: Albin Vega
Thanks for all the answers! They helped clear up a few issues...

One question to boatman61 though. How was the motion of the boat at sea? I imagine that oceanis is a fairly flat bottomed boat, therefore quite "poundy"?

Thanks,

Asmo
Asmodeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:52   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeane View Post
Thanks for all the answers! They helped clear up a few issues...

One question to boatman61 though. How was the motion of the boat at sea? I imagine that oceanis is a fairly flat bottomed boat, therefore quite "poundy"?

Thanks,

Asmo
On the whole it was into short chops that she slammed a bit but if you eased of a tad it slacked of nicely... worth the few degrees.. just plan approaches accordingly..
Oh... and the red UV strip on the Genny usually indicates a former/current Sunsail boat in my experience...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis