Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2019, 11:55   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Beneteau Idylle 15.5 - Worth the effort to repair? (water damage)

If the engine was just left after the inundation and water was high enough to back flow into the engine, and it's been left to sit for more than a couple weeks #10,000 could be a reasonable number to get it running again. If the owner got in there and and flushed out the water, replaced the oil, etc, the cost will be considerably less.

Boat that are actually used get soaked with salt water all the time. A short passage to weather in 20-30k winds and 10' seas will have the interior dripping with moisture. Any wiring in the bilge will most likely have come in regular contact with salt water ESPECIALLY in the newer boats without a bilge sump to trap the water that inevitably gets below. If there are water stains from the flooding on wood below, you'll probably have to paint the surfaces to cover it up. You could try oxalic acid bleaching agent to remove the stains but it's iffy if you'll be able to erase them. Flat surfaces will be plywood with a very thin veneer so sanding out the stains is virtually impossible without grinding through the veneer.

Anything with a motor or electronics that got soaked in the flood will most likely be trash. Any equipment that is suspect should be soaked in freshwater, thoroughly doused with WD40 or other water displacing liquid and dried out for weeks before they are renergized. Even a millisecond application of power to a circuit board could be enough to fry it until the salt water is washed away.

If you get the boat cheaply enough it could be worthwhile if everything else like sails, rigging, canvas, etc is in good shape. Just be aware that it will take a bit of work to get it sailing again. That's time, money and more time and money that might be better spent on a boat without the issues of sinking. Don't underestimate the cost of fitting out a boat as large as this one. Even a good condition boat can soak up 5 figures in minutes.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:05   #17

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If the engine was just left after the inundation and water was high enough to back flow into the engine, and it's been left to sit for more than a couple weeks #10,000 could be a reasonable number to get it running again. If the owner got in there and and flushed out the water, replaced the oil, etc, the cost will be considerably less.

Boat that are actually used get soaked with salt water all the time. A short passage to weather in 20-30k winds and 10' seas will have the interior dripping with moisture. Any wiring in the bilge will most likely have come in regular contact with salt water ESPECIALLY in the newer boats without a bilge sump to trap the water that inevitably gets below. If there are water stains from the flooding on wood below, you'll probably have to paint the surfaces to cover it up. You could try oxalic acid bleaching agent to remove the stains but it's iffy if you'll be able to erase them. Flat surfaces will be plywood with a very thin veneer so sanding out the stains is virtually impossible without grinding through the veneer.

Anything with a motor or electronics that got soaked in the flood will most likely be trash. Any equipment that is suspect should be soaked in freshwater, thoroughly doused with WD40 or other water displacing liquid and dried out for weeks before they are renergized. Even a millisecond application of power to a circuit board could be enough to fry it until the salt water is washed away.

If you get the boat cheaply enough it could be worthwhile if everything else like sails, rigging, canvas, etc is in good shape. Just be aware that it will take a bit of work to get it sailing again. That's time, money and more time and money that might be better spent on a boat without the issues of sinking. Don't underestimate the cost of fitting out a boat as large as this one. Even a good condition boat can soak up 5 figures in minutes.
I can only agree with every word
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:33   #18

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

30kt winds and 10’ seas gets the interior “dripping with moisture”? Maybe try closing the hatches?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:36   #19

Boat: Beneteau

Go try starting the engine. We were given the same type of advice about a 56' steel tug a few years ago. Went up to look at the boat and decided to try the engine. This one had been about 2/3 under water and that won't be your case. Couple new batteries and we started the engine for home. Bought the boat... sold the boat and it's been working since. Blanket statements are unreasonably limiting in any situation but having been part of a team of builders and repair for more than a couple decades I wouldn't give up if you like the boat. That's a lot of good boat for little money. Use some caution and common sense. You already own a boat and can't be that newbie.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:49   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

It's the kind of boat I would look for, if I didn't already have one similar. No structural damage, just wiring and engine, the only true unknowns. I think it would sell for far less but worth it at that price. Marine plywood won't degrade in that short of time, wiring can be done yourself, engine run and flushed. Very little compared to a sinking.
Totaled boats can be insured provided the work is inspected by a surveyor before and afterward. But if you expect to get $100 k into it, I'd contact the charter companies in the Med, I've seen many 8 year old 50'ers sell for less in sailaway condition.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 15:36   #21

Boat: Volkscruiser

As a surveyor the interior water damage does not worry me that much. I would be more worried how old the rig and sails are? If they are due to be replaced that’s a big cost. I would get the yacht fully surveyed, it is a 32 year old vessel and who knows maybe the water damage is the least of your problems?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 15:50   #22

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landsharkk View Post
Hey all, I've been a lurker on this website for a few years and just want to start off with how much I appreciate all the posts here. You've all provided invaluable information while researching boats and just sailing in general!

Long story short, we ran into someone selling a 1987 Beneteau 15.50 that is being 'totaled' by current owners insurance (so technically insurance is selling it).

It had leaked water at the prop very rapidly (sudden catastrophic failure), which put enough (sea) water into the boat to a depth just below the bottom step.

It was fairly quickly pumped out and the leak issue was fixed (issue with the dripless shaft), but now the boat is left with decent water damage below that bottom step line. The rest of the boat, above is in great condition. Owner was a live-aboard until this happened just a couple weeks ago. Also, while there is water damage below that bottom step, the actual interior is totally clean, despite the water that made it inside. No musty smell or anything like that, wood work looks to be in great condition.

The engine itself has less than 200 hours on it (fairly new engine). Mechanic claims the engine can be brought back to running status with less than $10k. I figure another $10k for electrical/pumps/hoses and any misc pieces that were under water.

I've never restored a boat before, mostly doing the big work through hiring someone else and the little stuff on our own.

I figure purchase price of between $30k and $40k, plus another $20k in repairs.

There's a caveat here. We currently have a (much smaller) powerboat we got for free that will sell for about $20k to $25k, which we can put towards the repairs of the Beneteau, assuming my costs for repairs are inline with reality.

Anyone more experience than me have any suggestions/comments/etc?

We are a large sailing family and I really like the Idyll series of Beneteau's, so am intrigued with this one considering our situation. This would be our 3rd sailboat, we have been slowly moving up in size. If we got this one, it would be our forever boat (and finally something I can sail to Hawaii and back!). Not sure if I should be talked into or out of this idea though.

Thank you!
there really is no answer to a question like this. those that I've known to take on such a project become very unhappy experts on the topic though.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 20:55   #23

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
there really is no answer to a question like this. those that I've known to take on such a project become very unhappy experts on the topic though.
Or very happy experts I have done this a few times now.

When first I looked at the boat I sail now, there was a big submersible pump sitting on the saloon floor, the engine was fed from a jerry can, the batteries were dead, so nothing could be tested. I got her cheap.

We had 5 days to get her in sailing condition. New fuel lines from tank to engine, installed RACOR filter. Started right up after replacing priming pump. Exchanged both marine toilets. Patched the sails. Lots of new wiring to get the most important things working, like nav lights. Many more items were done.

After 5 days, did an 8 day passage, leaking like a sieve from the rudder. Turned out later there was a missing plug in an unaccessible place. Needed to be pumped every half hour.

Since then of course, many upgrades, and the boat is getting better and better. Altogether cheap - probably not.

Worth it? Yes, I think so.

And as "Fore and Aft" wrote, do not only look at the water damage. Other factors affect the price.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 00:45   #24

Boat: Roberts 42' Spray Pilot House Ketch (Steely)

Go in with your eyes wide open! First thing with the engine, remove the dipstick, is it over full? (Indicating water has entered the engine).If not and the oil is clean, you may have dodged a bullet! Remove the oil filler cap on top of the rocker cover, check it underneath. is it clean? or does it show signs of moisture or emulsified oil? if so, remove injectors and turn the engine over by hand, socket and extension bar on front of crankshaft pulley nut. Does the engine turnover? Yes, try cranking it over with the starter motor (Injectors out). Is it spraying water out of the cylinders? Yes, drain engine oil remove filters flush system with several oil changes, turning it over on the starter (Injectors out). Once oil pressure has been reached (Oil Pressure light will go out.) repeat procedure till no signs of moisture. Refit Injectors, bleed fuel system and fire her up. I should mention that if the engine has water in it, then more than likely the starter motor will need to be stripped & cleaned or replaced and the transmission will need servicing. Also check that the Alternator(s) haven't gone under as well. If the engine is not free to turn over, Spray a good water displacement (WD40) or similar down the injector holes and pour diesel into the holes as well. change the engine oil,leave it sit for a day or two and try to turn it over, no joy, use a bigger breaker bar. Once you get it to turn over, then crank it with the starter motor, make sure the cylinders are empty, put it all back together and try to start it. If it fires up then you can listen for any unusual noises, you might be lucky, you might not! hope this helps you.
Bundyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:00   #25

Yes, BUT only if you have the knowledge and handiness to do it yourself.
This insurance settlement may have been a windfall for the owner.So...
Another fail from dripless, and untrustworthy shaft seals. Only traditional stuffing gland for me and my past 4 diesel shaft sailboats.
Saildrives are not a favorite of mine either as I have owned one, but I do love the concept if was in bronze and I could change the oil without a haul-out and I would also change the prop shaft seal and impellor at every haul-out. A lot of maintenance, however.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, water