Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 11:49   #1

Boat: 40' Leopard
Beneteau 473

I am looking at buying a 473 and was wondering some things to look for that may be problems with that model. I have two picket out both have up graded electronics but one has a in mast furling system and the other does not both 2003. both in very good condition.
Naturally I would have the boat I choose surveyed
Also is their a Beneteau club
thanks
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:26   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Beneteau 473

I have seriously looked at a Beneteau 473. Very nice boat. I haven't read of too many concerns with the vessel overall, however the 473's main issue with me is how the transom comes down below the waterline and collects alot of grime/algae/etc. I would check to see how that area is doing. Love the interior layout and if it is the 2 cabin version you get a huge lazarette that can be used as a workroom.

David
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 13:06   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Squeaky sole boards for one thing.
And, as David has pointed out, the lower edge of the transom is right at the waterline and goes get a bit mucky, but if you clean regularly its no big deal.
Skin fittings: Bene used brass, not ideal, some boats have had a problem, others not, mine is OK; but I will be changing out all the skin fittings this year,something to make sure the surveyor checks.
Check the genoa furling gear, the European models are fitted with Facnor SD furler, which uses stainless bearings. A few reports of these furlers losing the grease and tightening up, not an easy job to overhaul them.
Other that, IMHO a good boat for the bucks.

There is a bene 473 yahoo group
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:13   #4

I have owned a 2001 3 cabin model for three years. Great boat. We have not experienced any issues at all. Mine came with new Quantum sails. The main has verticle battens that really help the shape. There was an article in cruising world (or maybe Sail magszine) recently about the most popular boats for the last 5 years in the ARC and other ocean rallies. The 473 was among them. My wife and I can easily sail the boat due to the winch and cockpit set up as well. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions.
Tayzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 19:22   #5

I have a 2001 473 two cabin layout with in mast furling and electric winches. No real issues to speak of. I don't find the transom cleaning any big deal but then again, we sail on the Great Lakes so salt water I'm sure is higher maintenance. Very easy to handle with just my wife and I with the in mast furling and electric winches. Great boat so far.
No Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 09:20   #6

My wife and I are looking for a 473 2 cabin to cruise the Caribbean in. Any suggestions on what to look out for and how many hours are too much on the motor. Anyone with ac/generator is it worth it?. On a side note what other Beneteau should we consider. Thanks.
Mshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 09:26   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The 2 cabin 473 is a great boat. There is no boat with such huge storage as that walk in lazarette.
AC is not needed as there so many opening hatches and trade winds.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 09:39   #8

To those that have the three cabin. Instead of getting two cabin is there any reason for me not to get a three cabin and use the third as walk in storage. Seems to me you get the best of both worlds. Did they make a three cabin and a/c-generator. Thanks
Mshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 09:56   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshoe View Post
To those that have the three cabin. Instead of getting two cabin is there any reason for me not to get a three cabin and use the third as walk in storage. Seems to me you get the best of both worlds. Did they make a three cabin and a/c-generator. Thanks
Some think the galley arrangement in the U shape is better than longitudinal of the 3 cabin layout.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 20:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshoe View Post
To those that have the three cabin. Instead of getting two cabin is there any reason for me not to get a three cabin and use the third as walk in

Two-cabin has a bigger galley which I feel is just right. More importantly, the two-cabin version allows access to the huge lazerette from the cockpit in addition to down below. That's probably not the case with the three-cabin (fact check). The prior owner of our 473 had a custom cushion cut to the shape of the locker. Sort of a make shift third cabin if needed. They called it the "grandchild cabin".

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:58   #11

Boat: Comet 41s

If both boats are in a similar condition then in mast furling versus reefing furling will be the main difference and it is a big one. Chose the boat with the system you like best.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau