Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2012, 20:48   #1

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Bavaria Vision 46 - Thoughts ?

Just throwing this out there, wondering if any of you had any general thoughts about the new Bavaria Vision 46.

Bavaria Yacht - Bavaria Vision 46

I have read a lot about Bavaria lately in sailing magazines and online, and it seems like they are really turning out some great boats. Does anyone here live-aboard or cruise extensively on a Bavaria?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 00:09   #2
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato
Re: Bavaria Vision 46 - Thoughts?

not exactly on the 46... i can just repeat what i was told last weekend. my friends just came back from the med, from a 2 weeks charter on a 39 ft Bavaria. they said she was uncomfortable inside and had a poor sailing performance. bavarias are built for charter use, so sure the builder must fabricate them cheap and en masse.
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 01:01   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ato
not exactly on the 46... i can just repeat what i was told last weekend. my friends just came back from the med, from a 2 weeks charter on a 39 ft Bavaria. they said she was uncomfortable inside and had a poor sailing performance. bavarias are built for charter use, so sure the builder must fabricate them cheap and en masse.
The vast majority of bavarias are built for and in private hands. It's a good product for the price point.

Dave
Old 21-03-2012, 04:10   #4

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft

LIke many my experience of Bavaria's is during charters. Nice for a holiday afloat, but just for a holiday. Some of my biggest complaints, apart from the steering servo unit falling away from the bulkhead of a bavaria 40 with 100 hrs on the engine(2011), is that you need to be a gymnast to get into the bunks, if you invite a few friends along make sure they are prepared, I cant recomend enough streaching exercises and deep tissue massage. Then there's the engine is beside your head when on a passage. Light coastal cruising suits a Bavaria just fine.
Going cruising, get a blue water cruising boat.
Regards Joe
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 04:52   #5
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Quote:
Going cruising, get a blue water cruising boat.
You mean a boat that floats on blue water

3 Bavarias did nicely on the ARC i was on

Lets not descend into the nonsense that is "blue water boats". The noisiest boat I was on was a HR.

dave
Old 21-03-2012, 06:50   #6

Boat: B44

I was owner of 34 foot Bavaria for almost 6 years, but have chartered also many different types up to 50 ft.

My opinion is they are no worse than any other type of boat, from high-thru put factories. If you mantain the boat well, it will look nice and clean even after 15 years.

It is often heard that "Bavaria's" look tired soon! Sure they do, if you do not do the maintenance, polishing and stuff.

About 10 years ago the company had some issues with the swinging keels (and some were eventually lost at sea), but this is happening even at Beneteau or Jeanneau where this did not came into public as wild as with the Bavaria. I would really like to know why...

So this miss-conseption of people that Bavaria is not a good brand is still in the mind of customers, what you will notice when you will be selling your boat! I was selling mine in better than perfect condition for over 2 years with only 2 buyers overal! You can hear often, I would buy any well priced boat except Bavaria ...The first one bought another cheaper one, the 2nd one bought it ...

I am sure B46 vision is perfectly capable of ocean cruising (i.e. World ARC) and is a great boat.

Though I like HR's I heard by now from several sources these boats are over-priced and the final curtain fall when I read the test report of HR 64 several months back in Yacthing World magazine where the new young CEO was brave enough to claim something like this (as a result of several repairs needed to the boat during the seatrials with YM journalists; At such a large boat, it is not possible that all the systems works all the time, it is normal things do fail, that is why all the major systems are backed-up!

The only thing which do bother me with the new Bavarias is the relatively high price - for an empty boat.

Good luck,

Cheers, T
s51ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 07:35   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

I have sailed some Bavarias and have fixed many more. I can't say they are either better or worse than other mass produced boats today. Personal preferences count though and some may prefer French boats for their apparent aesthetics and design points.

I would say Bavarias are very nice boats for marina use, harbour sails and charter in protected waters. Re the attached link for apparent lack of handholds in the vast open cabin space. The floor looks pretty glossy too ...

I think the major appeal is the price point and one gets what they pay for - a new, clean and modern-looking boat that is easy to finance. Not many manufacturers can beat the scale production factors here.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 07:48   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s51ta View Post

(...) the new young CEO was brave enough to claim something like this (as a result of several repairs needed to the boat during the seatrials with YM journalists; At such a large boat, it is not possible that all the systems works all the time, it is normal things do fail, that is why all the major systems are backed-up! (...)
Maybe the CEO was too young, maybe they were too brave ...

In my eyes, such a take at quality disqualifies a CEO of any quality perceived product. It also disqualifies the product as a quality one!

('All major systems are backed up' - funny thing to notice in a sloop ;-))

I might like a Bavaria of (former) HR quality. I am not sure I would like a HR of (former) Bavaria quality!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 21:05   #9
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato

the major european manufacturers are having some "spring sale" right now. please look around and shop around.
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 21:57   #10

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Holy cow! Drop down thrusters! Oh the maintenance!

Would prefer something simpler.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 22:35   #11

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Like with most things in this world.. you pay for cheapo and you get cheapo. For serious sailing upgrade most gear and it's ok but why not get a proper boat in the first place..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 22:52   #12

Boat: Reinke Hydra 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ato View Post
Have to support that. They aim for charter market and they do that very well. Many berths, less storage. Generally build to last for 5 years, older models are build much stronger. Second hand market here in Europe is full of them at a very low price, because charter companies always need to offer latest models.

Said that, they are fine for coastal cruising and the match series is fine for cruiser races. There are some examples that this boats are used for offshore and bluewater cruising, but then, oceans have been crossed with rowing boats and even with folding kayaks. Still nobody would think of a kayak beeing a nice passage maker ...
symagellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 22:59   #13

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

The "Blue Water " thing seems to be looking in the wrong direction. You are in blue water 5 nml out and as lots of us know the time that trouble happens is when you get close to land -- currents, swell, boats , rocks, reef etc. I would suggest that after looking at this wonderful Bavaria 46 that it is more like a city apartment than a boat. Yes I know I will have the wrath descend on me but the things I see on the lovely shots of boats like this Bavaria I see no hand holds any where how you would get through that Cathedral that is the saloon in a sea way when things are hitting the fan with slippery floors no hand holds anywhere, is any real sailors nightmare. Then we move onto all of the square corners on cupboards and furniture it looks to me that the boat inside has been drawn in an interior design studio and has no relationship to a marine environment and forget heavy seas etc. I really cant comment on the real work place of the boat "the deck" but just a quick look at those exposed wheel stations I think that would be just unbelievable in a bad weather, Zero protection ( do the owners go below and sail by the instrurments and forget the sails etc. ) And for the life of me WHY two helm Wheels are these training boats ??????
I know these plastic fantastics Woops have a place and I like all sailors that are active in their boats I have many friends that have sailed all over the place in boats just like this and I am not saying they can not I am saying they are not set up to go off shore where you will have some bad weather now and again. I think on a brand new Bavarian 46 there is lots to do to get it ready.
HoHo what a rave Cheers Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 20:07   #14
Nearly an old salt

Twin wheels are very very common on med boats to allow easy access to the cockpit when stern moored.

I've sailed these boats. They are reasonable for the money. You get named brand hardware and engines etc.

Dave
Old 22-03-2012, 22:29   #15

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Bavaria Vision 46 - Thoughts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
You get named brand hardware and engines etc.
Yes it's all there, like a couple of undersized winches.. Get 6 new with $10000 plus work..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria