Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2012, 23:24   #16

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL
Re: Bavaria Vision 46 - Thoughts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Twin wheels are very very common on med boats to allow easy access to the cockpit when stern moored.

I've sailed these boats. They are reasonable for the money. You get named brand hardware and engines etc.

Dave
Hi Dave thats a new one for me I always thought the twin wheels were a claim for better control on the high side when healed over and racing. I wonder why we have the same twin wheeled boats on sale here in Ozzie when there is not the same mooring ?????
Im sure they are training boats Cheers Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 06:45   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Hi Dave thats a new one for me I always thought the twin wheels were a claim for better control on the high side when healed over and racing. I wonder why we have the same twin wheeled boats on sale here in Ozzie when there is not the same mooring ?????
Im sure they are training boats Cheers Jacko
Yep... Ozzie training cars also have 2 wheels
CeesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 07:17   #18

Boat: Hylas 49, 25 ft O'day Fixed Keel

My brother owns a 2006 Bavaria 46. We have sailed it from Lagos Portugal to Puerto Vallarta Mexico in many different legs. We crossed the Atlantic in the 2006 ARC with zero problems. We have moved the boat through many conditions up to 35 + knot winds. We have had no issues with the boat handling or response.

As with any boat there are pros and cons. My biggest complaint is that the boat has some cheap hardware, things like cabinet hardware, light fixtures, mirrors, etc show some pitting and poor quality in their construction. I wish some of the systems were slightly larger, like winches, head sail furling system, the systems are functional, but the next size up would have been worth it. The plus side, it is reasonably comfortable in its floor plan and ease of use at sea, cooking, showering, relaxing, etc. It certainly is not the best boat out there, but she has served us well over the years. Sleeping births could have been better, but it is not terrible.

Here is a 5 min you tube of us crossing in the ARC, you may get a little sense of life on board from it, although it is not a total showcase of the boat.

All in all, not a bad boat, but it is a production boat and some shortcuts were taken. It sails fine for its purpose as a cruiser, it has felt safe in all our travels, It really comes down to value for a given price. If it fits you budget, at least consider it as a choice. Shop around and give it a good look over with complete survey No boat is perfect in every aspect.
CabezonBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 16:00   #19

Boat: Comet 41s

Here you can have some more information:

What is your opinion of Bavaria's? - SailNet Community

Interesting Sailboats - Page 239 - SailNet Community
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 16:53   #20

Some Bavarias that have circumnavigated, some solo. I know about some more but or they don't have a site or I cannot find it. I believe there are much more I don't know about.

Genuíno Madruga em volta ao Mundo

Yagoona.de - Svenja Zielinski und Marc Panzer

s/y Empire

Sail-World.com : Bavaria yachts' offshore success

zeilboot senang

Hemingway
Old 28-03-2012, 18:08   #21

Boat: searching...

Hi,
I was on the market for a long time to decide between a "cheaper" new boat and a second hand "blue water" boat (whatever that means).

And I think the truth is somewhere in between. Bavaria, and Hanse, Beneteau (you name it) are build more cost effective but very capable boats. You will normally break before they do. You get a lot of boat for a decent price. All other saying is nonsens.

The typical "blue water" boat is for sure more sturdy build, has more finesse, maybe better sized gear and a nice interior but come with a hefty price tag. Each type has disadvantages as well, and you will see the same emotional discussion if you ask what is the difference between an Island Packet and Pacific Seacraft for example. A main advantage is in my opinion that they keep the price much better than the others - and to be frank, not just because they are "better", its simply because there are much less boat's on the market.

So back to your question: I think the boat looks nice and I guess you will be fine with it for almost every thing (except the ICW as the mast is too tall). The only tip I can give you to check as well the second hand market and see what you get for the same price - if you stay with the same size you may get a great boat with much more (very expensive) gear.
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 18:27   #22

Boat: S&S 40

right on...maybe less polish and more usefull things...get rid of head number 2 and u have a lot more storage.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 23:51   #23

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

A long time since any posts on this thread - anyone actually sailed a Bavaria Vision 46 in the Med for an extended period? Or know where else on the web to look?

Thanks!
bobsail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 15:35   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bavaria 46

I have a 46 Cruiser and am more than happy with the performance and comfort. I sailed 3,500 Sea Miles last year. Built for charter but thats the toughest test of them all.
Scott
www.crewsailing.se
crewtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 10:53   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewtv View Post
I have a 46 Cruiser and am more than happy with the performance and comfort. I sailed 3,500 Sea Miles last year. Built for charter but thats the toughest test of them all.
Scott
www.crewsailing.se
I agree with that Charter being testing for boats. 5 years of charter equals 20 years of use by a private owner, at least in most of the cases. It is not also by accident that you see so many Bavarias doing charter work. There is a reason for a owner of a charter company to prefers them.

I had also a Bavaria, done maybe 15 000 Nm in it without any problem, sold it and the new owner is not complaining. It was from the cruiser line but the Vision line offers a slightly better quality. It is not by accident that they are more expensive.
Old 26-03-2013, 16:16   #26

Bavaria Vision 46

Winning Details
+ Exceptional light and ventilation below, thanks to four opening coachroof hatches, a pair of overhead “skylights,” and a series of windows to port and starboard in the hull.
+ Noteworthy cockpit execution, with well-thought-out helm stations and winch placement, a clever daybed for lounging and relaxing, and an offset companionway.
+ The Bavaria Docking Control system, utilizing a joystick, a bow thruster forward, and a retractable thruster aft, is a nifty solution for close-quarters maneuvering.

For 2013, Bavaria Yachts brought a pair of new boats to the marketplace, including the Vision 46, the first in a new series of very contemporary, forward-thinking cruising boats. In layout and execution, it’s meant to be the ultimate “couple’s” cruiser, easy to sail and operate and possessing lavish appointments and accoutrements at anchor or dockside. The BOTY judges believed Bavaria, in collaboration with Farr Yacht Design, more than met its stated objective, and they named the Vision 46 the year’s Best Full-Size Cruiser, 45 to 49 Feet.

Right off the bat, the 46-footer received high marks from the judges for its easily driven hull and notable sailing characteristics. “It felt right,” said Alvah Simon, as the boat registered speeds in the mid-7-knot range in just 10 to 12 knots of breeze. “I thought it performed pretty well, given the conditions for our sea trials.”

The boat also drew favorable reviews under power. One of the new trends in cruising boats are software-driven engine controls; Bavaria’s system employs a set of joystick-controlled thrusters fore and aft. “I found it very intuitive,” said Tim Murphy. “And they’ve done a good job of providing a simple manual override in case of emergency,” said Sherman.

Over the last several years, Bavaria has completely revamped the lines, and Sherman, who’s very familiar with the brand, believes the evolution has been significant. “As far as the overall quality and fit and finish, it just keeps getting better and better,” he said. The proof is this winning design.
Bavaria Vision 46

Winning Details
+ Exceptional light and ventilation below, thanks to four opening coachroof hatches, a pair of overhead “skylights,” and a series of windows to port and starboard in the hull.
+ Noteworthy cockpit execution, with well-thought-out helm stations and winch placement, a clever daybed for lounging and relaxing, and an offset companionway.
+ The Bavaria Docking Control system, utilizing a joystick, a bow thruster forward, and a retractable thruster aft, is a nifty solution for close-quarters maneuvering.

For 2013, Bavaria Yachts brought a pair of new boats to the marketplace, including the Vision 46, the first in a new series of very contemporary, forward-thinking cruising boats. In layout and execution, it’s meant to be the ultimate “couple’s” cruiser, easy to sail and operate and possessing lavish appointments and accoutrements at anchor or dockside. The BOTY judges believed Bavaria, in collaboration with Farr Yacht Design, more than met its stated objective, and they named the Vision 46 the year’s Best Full-Size Cruiser, 45 to 49 Feet.

Right off the bat, the 46-footer received high marks from the judges for its easily driven hull and notable sailing characteristics. “It felt right,” said Alvah Simon, as the boat registered speeds in the mid-7-knot range in just 10 to 12 knots of breeze. “I thought it performed pretty well, given the conditions for our sea trials.”

The boat also drew favorable reviews under power. One of the new trends in cruising boats are software-driven engine controls; Bavaria’s system employs a set of joystick-controlled thrusters fore and aft. “I found it very intuitive,” said Tim Murphy. “And they’ve done a good job of providing a simple manual override in case of emergency,” said Sherman.

Over the last several years, Bavaria has completely revamped the lines, and Sherman, who’s very familiar with the brand, believes the evolution has been significant. “As far as the overall quality and fit and finish, it just keeps getting better and better,” he said. The proof is this winning design.
bombardero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 18:47   #27

Boat: Hunter 356

Just left the annapolis boat show and the new Vision 46 was our favorite (we passed on the Swan 80 due to a lack of crew). I can't speak for the offshore capabilty but the layout is fantastic and it looks great.
FightinGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 19:23   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Just throwing this out there, wondering if any of you had any general thoughts about the new Bavaria Vision 46.

Bavaria Yacht - Bavaria Vision 46

I have read a lot about Bavaria lately in sailing magazines and online, and it seems like they are really turning out some great boats. Does anyone here live-aboard or cruise extensively on a Bavaria?
Prolly not the kind of thoughts you were looking for but here goes-

Why does a boat take its name from a mountainous region located far far from the ocean? I mean, we're talking the alps here. Maybe you'd name a car or a motorcycle or something after it, but a boat? Just doesn't make any sense to me.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 05:48   #29

Hi all

Lets get to the question. This is about the Vision 46 not the older boats. I know someone with a Vision 46 and have sailed on it many times.

It is a great boat both in terms of a floating caravan in harbour and also as a sailing boat - you only need to read the reviews. (it takes a lot for Yachting Monthly to praise a yacht as much as they have praised the 42 !!!)

I have been sailing for over 30 years on all sorts of boats.....mass produced and so called 'premium yachts'

I am so impressed with the vision I have now ordered a Vision 42.

Bavaria, like many mass producers, went through a period where the sailing attributes were questionable. however, they are also one of the first to realise their problem and actually address it.

Credit where credit is due.
IanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 06:57   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Prolly not the kind of thoughts you were looking for but here goes-

Why does a boat take its name from a mountainous region located far far from the ocean? I mean, we're talking the alps here. Maybe you'd name a car or a motorcycle or something after it, but a boat? Just doesn't make any sense to me.

As with BMW - Bavarian Motor Works it is because it is/was in that region? So, seems to make sense in my mind.
IanL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria