Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 04:10   #181

Re: Bavaria or Hunter Bashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Further to this discussion. Many have strong feellings egarding modern production boats and the strength of their keels or hull. Whilst the boat is this video is a Dehler and not a Hunter or Bavaria, the basic keel designs are not that different.

The video is in german (unfortunately, but you do not need the commentary.)

This pretty much shows what a modern boat can take.

Carsten has Dehler ever lost a keel on one of their boats that you are aware of?? R
Old 10-01-2015, 04:17   #182
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Bavaria or Hunter Bashing

I'm at a loss at the constant commentary on loss of keels, it has happened to a tiny number of boats and discounting the few where there was pre-existing conditions or modifications , the numbers are minuscule.

Could we just leave this rather nonsensical obsession, it reminds me of my father denigrating jap cars still into the 90s when they has taken over the world in reliability and ruggedness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2015, 04:28   #183

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Carsten has Dehler ever lost a keel on one of their boats that you are aware of?? R
Robert

To my knowledge no. But the Dehler keels and Bavaria keels and the benejenniehansa keel fastenings are almost identical. There really aren't any secrets inthe production boat trade.

I agree with Dave. Yes a couple of keels have been lost due to design errors, but that was years ago - time and keel design have moved on.

Other keels (not many) have been lost due to hard groundings without proper inspection and maintenance afterwards (I simply cannot see how the manufacturer can be faulted for this).

Keels are not really an issue, unless someone wants to make one and then they are just beating a very dead horse

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 10-01-2015, 04:38   #184

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Well , to me, screw a hig aspect ratio fin keel trough a thin flat bottom section of Fg trough the flat section of the grid liner is just a insane way to get problems sooner or later,, First 40,7... AKA dozens and dozens of production boats this days....
Old 10-01-2015, 05:49   #185

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Well , to me, screw a hig aspect ratio fin keel trough a thin flat bottom section of Fg trough the flat section of the grid liner is just a insane way to get problems sooner or later,, First 40,7... AKA dozens and dozens of production boats this days....
Neil you know perfectly well that was called liners had evolved with time and what was only used for providing the support for interior layout is now a complete grid that serves that function but also the one of providing internal hull structural support distributing the loads of shrouds and keel for all the hull. No sense in calling that liners.
The keels are not bolted to a thin section of fiberglass but to the grid frame and then through the fiberglass.

Beneteau uses an integral frame that they call "Structure de coque contremoulée" calling to that grid liners makes no sense.

This is what Beneteau uses as boat stucture:

This is what Bavaria uses:

and this is what Salona uses (Steel Grid):
Old 10-01-2015, 06:27   #186

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

No and No Paulo, lots of keels troughbolted to the flat section of the bottom, the first 40.7 is a example, Bavarias, Jeaneaus, etc... there is not a single bolt on those boats bolted to a beefy part of the structure , the Salona is a fine example in how some builders are paying attention to this isue with style, hats off for Salona..

Even this concern start to raise opinions and sugestions in the ISAF and RCD staff.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:25   #187

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
No and No Paulo, lots of keels troughbolted to the flat section of the bottom, the first 40.7 is a example, Bavarias, Jeaneaus, etc... there is not a single bolt on those boats bolted to a beefy part of the structure , the Salona is a fine example in how some builders are paying attention to this isue with style, hats off for Salona..

Even this concern start to raise opinions and sugestions in the ISAF and RCD staff.
How the well do you want to bolt directly trough the hull a keel on a Beneteau (or jeanneau) if they use an integral "Structure de coque contremoulée"?

Regarding Bavaria, that design is from one and you can see clearly that the keel bolts go trough the hull and after that trough the hull grid structure and after that they have large backing plates.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:32   #188
CLOD

Boat: none

Keels aren't falling off boats except in rare cases. But guess this keel thing is an example of not letting facts getting in the way of a good argument
Old 10-01-2015, 08:32   #189
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Bavaria or Hunter Bashing

May I make an observation.
Seems a few are denigrating "Modern" boats, well there are some modern boats that are exceptionally well made, and there is some junk made too.
Seems some are trying to hold up "Old" boats as the best made, and there were some exceptionally well made boats back in the day, but there was some junk made too, a lot of junk.

Date of manufacture alone does not guarantee anything, except possibly that the junk hasn't survived and was scrapped or sunk long ago, so merely through attrition the better or maybe just more valuable ones survived, maybe that feeds the myth that older was better? Plus we always hear of the good old days, not the bad old days, we have a tendency to remember good things more.

My problem is I can't afford a Modern, well made boat. So in my price range I have two options and I think I'm not alone
1. An older well made boat that has depreciated to the point that I can afford it, or
2. A new boat, manufactured to a price point that I can afford.

I'd never talk bad about a persons pride and joy any more than I would tell them their child is ugly as sin, surely only a very few people would.

But, when asked if I thought in ten yrs. which boat would be in better condition and have suffered less depreciation between an older well founded boat and a new entry level boat, I think the older boat will.
Course I believe an older entry level boat will depreciate less than a new one two

It's not a matter of bashing anything

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-01-2015, 09:21   #190
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Keels aren't falling off boats except in rare cases. But guess this keel thing is an example of not letting facts getting in the way of a good argument
Ford Pinto cars only exploded and incinerated the occupants in rare cases, but I guess that didn't make the drivers and passengers of the 3,000,000 Pintos on the road feel any safer.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:39   #191

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
May I make an observation.
Seems a few are denigrating "Modern" boats, well there are some modern boats that are exceptionally well made, and there is some junk made too.
Seems some are trying to hold up "Old" boats as the best made, and there were some exceptionally well made boats back in the day, but there was some junk made too, a lot of junk.

Date of manufacture alone does not guarantee anything, except possibly that the junk hasn't survived and was scrapped or sunk long ago, so merely through attrition the better or maybe just more valuable ones survived, maybe that feeds the myth that older was better? Plus we always hear of the good old days, not the bad old days, we have a tendency to remember good things more.

My problem is I can't afford a Modern, well made boat. So in my price range I have two options and I think I'm not alone
1. An older well made boat that has depreciated to the point that I can afford it, or
2. A new boat, manufactured to a price point that I can afford.

I'd never talk bad about a persons pride and joy any more than I would tell them their child is ugly as sin, surely only a very few people would.

But, when asked if I thought in ten yrs. which boat would be in better condition and have suffered less depreciation between an older well founded boat and a new entry level boat, I think the older boat will.
Course I believe an older entry level boat will depreciate less than a new one two

It's not a matter of bashing anything

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I think this is a great point, and is relevant to the vast majority of buyers out there. I don't think there's any question about a difference in quality b'twn. more & less expensive boats, it's more a matter of identifying where those differences are to be found and whether they're important to a particular buyer. I, for one, am mainly curious about the differences, if any, that may affect structure & seaworthiness. But unlike objective factors like price of admission & depreciation, the subjective things like interior space & aesthetics are hardly worth arguing about, except to the extent they may help explain the negative bias, fairly perceived or not.

It's why I can't understand all the sensitivity based on what other people think or say about someone else's boat. Your pride & joy is your pride & joy after all.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:43   #192
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Ford Pinto cars only exploded and incinerated the occupants in rare cases, but I guess that didn't make the drivers and passengers of the 3,000,000 Pintos on the road feel any safer.
I assume you drove a Pinto too?
Old 10-01-2015, 09:49   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Faced with a choice of a car that rarely exploded, and one that never exploded, I think most people would choose the latter.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:07   #194
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I think this is a great point, and is relevant to the vast majority of buyers out there. I don't think there's any question about a difference in quality b'twn. more & less expensive boats, it's more a matter of identifying where those differences are to be found and whether they're important to a particular buyer. I, for one, am mainly curious about the differences, if any, that may affect structure & seaworthiness. But unlike objective factors like price of admission & depreciation, the subjective things like interior space & aesthetics are hardly worth arguing about, except to the extent they may help explain the negative bias, fairly perceived or not.

It's why I can't understand all the sensitivity based on what other people think or say about someone else's boat. Your pride & joy is your pride & joy after all.

In my experience the proportional increase in difference in prices between cheaper and more expensive boats is not necessarily reflected in the same proportional increase in quality.

Futhermore of course you can get older boats that fit into a certain budget. But equally you are possibly buying tired systems , mast, rigging , engine etc. an awful amount of money then needs to be spent especially if you envisage the boat being used hard.

Dave
Old 10-01-2015, 10:14   #195

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Robert

To my knowledge no. But the Dehler keels and Bavaria keels and the benejenniehansa keel fastenings are almost identical. There really aren't any secrets inthe production boat trade.

I agree with Dave. Yes a couple of keels have been lost due to design errors, but that was years ago - time and keel design have moved on.

Other keels (not many) have been lost due to hard groundings without proper inspection and maintenance afterwards (I simply cannot see how the manufacturer can be faulted for this).

Keels are not really an issue, unless someone wants to make one and then they are just beating a very dead horse
You guys may very well be right, but Bene's recent service advisories calling for periodic keel checks (and not just checking torque on the bolts), and the recent article in Yachting Monthly may still concern some. Could be more of just a reaction to the well-publicized incident with Cheeki (sells magazines), and a CYA deal with Bene, of course, but it's out there. Remember, no DOT or FAA regulating this industry, the CE regs. seem minimal and more proactive than reactive, and many if not most serious repairs are not publicized or documented.

So what about hull strength in the newer production boats? The bow portion of the hull of the crash boat in the video looked pretty thick and the boat itself looked older. We've heard some opinions that the older production boats were built "stronger," but we've also heard that modern composites -- through the use of Kevlar & carbon, for e.g. -- allow for thinner & thus lighter lay-ups. When we see just how thin these lay-ups really are -- for e.g. on the Hunter that sunk at Avalon & a couple of Bene's with their bow sections sheared off -- is this a good thing or just a way to appeal to buyers who desire boats that are lightweight & "fast."

Now before the fans get jammed up by questions like this, I am well aware that sailboats aren't designed for hitting hard objects, that hulls are designed for keeping the water out as opposed to hitting rock jetties & dock pilings, that scores of these boats have circumnavigated, and of course that a Hunter made it to Cape Horn whereas an Oyster hit an iceberg & sunk. You can always choose to feel indignant if you wish, but these are exactly the kinds of questions which, if left unanswered, can cause some to remain skeptical, especially when you're talking about lower-end boats where it's hard to know whether something structural is lightly built for performance or is simply designed to cut corners on mfg. costs.
Closed Thread

Tags
bavaria, hunter