Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2018, 13:14   #1

Bavaria 40'....would like some feedback?

I would like to get some feedback from those of you who owned....or have owned a Bavaria 40' - I would be looking at the years 2009 - 2012 as this would fit my budget of approximately $100K (having additional funds for upgrades if necessary)….I would be using the boat to live on (since I'm single) and would plan sailing up and down the coast of Mexico (since I'm a resident there) but would also like to take the boat to Cuba in a couple of years. If you could provide any feedback and/or comments that would be greatly appreciated.
Dennis Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 14:47   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Bavaria 40'....would like some feedback?

I can't comment on that particular model, but just a quick warning that in my experience of looking at boats of this era, those made immediately after the GFC contain some serious bits of cost-cutting. Production builders were in a panic when the easy money stopped. My boat is 2004 (before GFC and before the huge increase in the price of lead), and surveyed substantially better than boats of 2005-2010 of various European brands that I was looking at.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 16:43   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Dennis, and welcome to CF.

In general your plan sounds quite workable. I'd like to advise you to not get focused on the Bavaria or any other marque at this stage of your experience. It is pretty common for folks with no hands on experience of sailing, living aboard or cruising to do a bunch of internet and magazine "research" and become fixated on some particular model. In reality, until you have spent some time on board and sailing, making such decisions is counter productive, for you are depending upon other folks mindset and values. Remember that when asking for advice from owners of some specific model, their responses are unlikely to be unbiased... they'll almost always be supporting their own previous decisions and not being totally up front about drawbacks. It is pretty hard to get objective info on boats; personal observation and experience is usually best.

Further, being focused on one boat may well blind you to good values on other designs that come up while you wait about for that specific Bavaria (or whatever) to appear... not in your best interest!

Good luck in your adventure. You will find that the cruising community has a lot to offer to folks like you, and Mexico is a great venue... we sure enjoyed our years cruising there.

Jim
Old 25-10-2018, 17:05   #4

Thanks Jim as the insight is appreciated and comments well taken. I understand that taking response from those who have owned a Bavaria might be swayed one way or another....but at this point just trying to get a gauge on the type of boat that would fit my lifestyle - and quality certainly has a determining factor....makes such as Valiant and Island Packet would also be on the list
Old 26-10-2018, 01:18   #5

There's a big difference between a bavaria and an island packet. A mate of mine has an IP locally. We like each others' boats, but there's no way either of us would swap for the other. I agree with the post above suggesting you get out and sail more boats. And don't fixate on a specific boat. I wasn't even remotely thinking of buying this specific boat (nor indeed one anything like this long), but I found a very good broker who asked the right questions and ended up pointing me towards this one, which turned out to be a very good fit for what I needed.
Old 26-10-2018, 09:26   #6

Boat: Saltram 31
Unhappy Re: Bavaria 40'....would like some feedback?

My experience of delivering Bavaria's of that period, is that they were built down to a price for the marina to marina day sailing market.
Many corners cut in the build, look good but poor quality build.
Many better boats for the money if planning to go offshore.
Island Packet/Moody/Westerly to name but three.
malcolmlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 10:18   #7
DLT

Boat: Bavaria 50 Vision

You might keep in mind that Bavaria made two different lines during the period in question. They made a "Cruiser" line, which I believe was really more aimed at the charter market (i.e. not a owner/cruiser boat at all). They also made a "Vision" line, which appears more geared toward the owner/cruiser market. I believe that there were likely to be more cost conscious measures taken with the "Cruiser" (charter) line.

Full Disclosure: We own a 2007 50' Vision.
DLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 00:45   #8

See how complex it gets? A pre-gfc owners bavaria is a very different kettle of fish from a post-gfc charter bavaria. Whatever happens, get an inspection
Old 28-10-2018, 01:03   #9

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Bavaria's are quite strong boats , but they are loud , I have sail 4 Bavaria's and all of them creek and squeek like hell , another issue with them is that the design is not well thought for offshore or sailing at all , as you get more experienced you will find many design faults on a Bavaria .

That being said 100k for a 8 or 10 years old Bavaria are way too much .

My opinion is plan what you wanna do with the boat, try to find information about other boats who did the same , inspect and learn the systems that they had and the failures and then decide .
Ps.
Comfort in the marina doesn't mean comfort on the sea or at anchor .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 06:51   #10

Thanks....as an inspection will certainly be part of the process
Old 28-10-2018, 18:53   #11

Try to avoid boats that squeak and creak, certainly!
Old 07-11-2018, 06:30   #12

I have chartered a handful of Bavarias from that generation. Personally I don't like them, and would never buy them, for their sailing characteristics alone.

Apologies to Bavaria owners, it's just an opinion.

I think the Bavs of this era went too far in the direction of "big wide house" and traded off too much sailing performance. They are beamy, the keels are inefficient, and the rigging and sailplane generally don't support sailing.

Just one example: we found the backstay couldn't be tightened up to give us acceptable forestay tension, so we couldn't point above 55 degrees especially with a few rolls in. When I say "couldn't" I mean that we started to perceive flexion in the hull to an extent I couldn't accept (even on a charter boat).

Net result I (and experienced crew) reckoned this was a yacht you wouldn't sail below f3, and wouldn't enjoy sailing above f5.

They did churn them out in quantity to drive the unit price down, and the pros/cons were heavily geared around charter market. Perhaps I am more discerning than the average user. If it's the affordable way for you to get a 40 foot yot then maybe you should take that choice; price is the only thing I would say desirable about these boats. If it was me, I'd be looking a little older at a Moody, Grand Soleil, Jeanneau, Beneteau, Dufour any of which I suspect can give you 40 feet for less than 100k.

Best of luck.
richr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:12   #13

Thanks for the input....LIke your idea of a Dufour...and would also consider a Hanse...possible a 345 or 370 which certainly falls within my price range and by all accounts they seem to have very good reviews....just need to get on a few to see how they handle!!!
Old 22-01-2020, 12:30   #14

I find it odd that none of the comments mention the fact that the 2009-2010 bavaria 40 cruiser was a completely different boat then the 2011- Farr design Bavaria 40 cruiser, how can you expert have one opinion on two boats that were designed by two different designers, and not even commenting that we are talking about two different boats? Beats me. I have no experience with the earier bav 40, but I own and live in a Farr designed bav 40. It is described by journalists both from Yacthing Monthly and other magazines as a "well sailing boat", and "a real sailboat". The Farr design is a much stiffer boat, and the draft is 2.05 meters.
Tidsnok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria