Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 21:53   #1

Bavaria 37 Teak Deck

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2001 Bavaria 37. This post is specifically about the teak decks which come on this boat, but I welcome any other broad opinions as well. The decks were refinished and unfortunately the craftsman sanded too much in places, there is some filler in spots, and on the sailing trip out I noticed one spot once wet would exert water from the caulking area when stepped on. That's the bad part and I generally think the teak is in great shape for it's age. So that brings me to this question: at what age would this teak, which is really a laminate, be expected to be replaced? Is this something that could even be done DIY, ripping the teak up and replacing it with synthetic? This would be my first boat, and I am really uncomfortable knowing that I could be the next owner who would need to deal with replacement...
kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:47   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Bavaria 37 Teak Deck

Welcome to the sailing world!

Teak lasts a lot longer than that boat is old. I have teak railing (not decking) that is 35 years old and still looking great. Your problem, it seems, is that the previous owner didn't take great care of it.

Drying the decking out and re-caulking things is a weekend's worth of work, at the least, but a very do-able DIY job. This and re-sealing the teak (or leaving it the natural grey) will hopefully leave you happy.

Now if the water is in the fiberglass / core of the boat, the problem is bigger. A survey should rule this problem out. (Look for mushy deck spots near where the deck is penetrated by hardware or chain plates. In the middle of a flat area where the teak deck generally is would be unlikely.)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:37   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Bavaria 37 Teak Deck

It's kind of like Roulette with teak decks. Not if but when will they cause real damage to the core.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 14:01   #4

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
Welcome to the sailing world!

Teak lasts a lot longer than that boat is old. I have teak railing (not decking) that is 35 years old and still looking great. Your problem, it seems, is that the previous owner didn't take great care of it.

Drying the decking out and re-caulking things is a weekend's worth of work, at the least, but a very do-able DIY job. This and re-sealing the teak (or leaving it the natural grey) will hopefully leave you happy.

I am re-caulking my teak (only on seats and cockpit on a 41ft) and it took me at least 4 full days. For a complete teak deck it would be needed more than a week, if one works alone.

And by the way a 2001 Bavaria has not a laminate but solid teak, probably over a laminate. The problem with the water does not mean that the composite deck has a problem but that the teak basis (laminate) is becoming unglued from the deck. There is the possibility of injecting glue under pressure. Talk with a good Bavaria dealer to know how the problem is solved.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 03:01   #5

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

I had teak decks in the past...

Now, I equate Teak Decks to chastity = it's own punishment.

Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote