Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2012, 05:03   #1

Boat: Wanted 45' Hunter center cockpit
AutoPilot questions

I have a question about some kind of auto pilot system that allows you to avoid other ships, so you don't need to keep watch. I would not like a collision with a carrier in the night, and also is there something that will alert you like an alarm clock of theres a ship nearby, and what about smalll fishing ships that don't have AIS
chucklet321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 05:12   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: AutoPilot questions

I don't know of such a system since the programming logic would have to include the COLREGS and knowledge of what the target is. Note that the COLREGS state that the stand-on vessel has an obligation to keep course (until there is no choice), so just avoiding any target would be wrong.

My radar and AIS are interfaced and will sound a loud alarm and this is, I think, the limit of automation.

Just a thought - imagine if the autopilot/radar system were to automatically change course to avoid a potential collision, causing a gybe which breaks some hardware on the sailboat. This sounds to me like a found mealticket for a lawyer in America's litiguous society.
Old 14-10-2012, 05:17   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

there is,and it is called the "WAFI ALERT",common on the bridges of big ships,fishing boats,and other vessels keeping a proper watch
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 05:54   #4
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

isn't it called crew
Old 14-10-2012, 05:55   #5

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklet321 View Post
I have a question about some kind of auto pilot system that allows you to avoid other ships, so you don't need to keep watch. I would not like a collision with a carrier in the night, and also is there something that will alert you like an alarm clock of theres a ship nearby, and what about smalll fishing ships that don't have AIS
Simply, NO to 1st question.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 06:40   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Human Look-outs are mandatory, not an option: The purpose is to prevent collisions at sea among other things.

If you still don't understand it, read again until it sinks in...

International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 14-10-2012, 07:14   #7

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

And I thought trolling was all about catching fish...
Old 14-10-2012, 11:45   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

I have such an autopilot here.

It is a very good sytem but it sometimes talks too much.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 11:47   #9

I'm going to reference this thread to remind people about folks setting off in boats with no idea (or care to learn) about seamanship and navigation.

$20 says this boat will have a chartplotter and definitely not a hand bearing compass.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 12:26   #10

Boat: Grand Soleill 41 - Gali
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklet321
You never ever sail without an awake person on watch. This rule was in place since people took to the ocean and it still holds true today.
Remember no headphones, no books, no checking your Facebook messages. YOU ARE ON WATCH STAY ALERT people sleeping below depend on you. All it takes is one error and you all are gone.
Radars are good, autopilots are great, and AIS is fabulous, but nothing will EVER replace the person on watch.
Old 14-10-2012, 13:13   #11

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

ITs strictly prohibited and so it should be.

Many scenarios, but imagine you have such a system, and you pass a family in a liferaft, who have run out of water, and they fire their last flare, and your "System" turns to avoid them, while you sleep, and you wake up in the morning . . . .

Maintain a proper lookout.
Use every means to avoid collision.
Check rule, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 18,19 in short, forget about it.
Old 14-10-2012, 13:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by levm View Post
You never ever sail without an awake person on watch. This rule was in place since people took to the ocean and it still holds true today.
Remember no headphones, no books, no checking your Facebook messages. YOU ARE ON WATCH STAY ALERT people sleeping below depend on you. All it takes is one **** up and you all are gone.
Radars are good, autopilots are great, and AIS is fabulous, but nothing will EVER replace the person on watch.
Except for singlehanded sailing... But it is the obligation of all vessels to MAINTAIN a watch. Some just are not able to do it...
EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 19:39   #13

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by levm

Remember no headphones, no books, no checking your Facebook messages. YOU ARE ON WATCH STAY ALERT people sleeping below depend on you. All it takes is one error and you all are gone.
seriously? Single handing aside, I have no issue with reading a book on watch at sea. You just have to look around at the end of each page. Nothing moves that fast.
Old 15-10-2012, 02:46   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by levm View Post
Levm, while I applaud your enthusiasm, I can see that you have yet to stand watch offshore on a sailboat. Particularly a 12-hour watch on a short-handed boat.

I am a singlehander and need my sleep, so I willingly accept the fact that I sail while breaking the watchkeeping rules of the COLREGs. I mitigate my risks by using AIS and RADAR.
When offshore and outside of shipping lanes a constant watch is not only not necessary but can be counterproductive. Simple math (and a wealth of written material) shows that a big, but low-freeboard, vessel on the horizon with a closing speed of 30knots can be 16km away (9nm) - leaving a 1-3 of an hour (20 minutes) time to a collision. Note that a freighter moving that speed offshore (your 8knots plus his 22knots) is going to be visible much further away because he'll have a very high freeboard.
Thus a detailed visual sweep of the horizon every 15 minutes will give one a good safety factor and little object-fixation and repetitive boredom compared to constantly looking for objects for hours at a time.
Old 15-10-2012, 03:11   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Interesting question.
Imagine the chaos if two or more boats had this mystical system and chanced upon each other.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot