Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2014, 09:44   #16

Re: At what point do you stop upgrading??

Bruce, you just need to go over to the electronics part of the forum to see that upgrades are an endless quest (nightmare!!!) that I think keep more people from cruising, than help. People spend huge sums of money and time to make themselves "FEEL SAFER", with fancy electronics, but dont practice the basics for the time that the electrons fail(and sooner or later they will). The recent thread about the Atlantic Delivery is a prime example of how multiple electrical systems can still go bad, and leave you with only the very basics. You mention coastal cruising, so other than a solid boat and rig, you need VERY GOOD GROUND TACKLE, a reliable depth sounder, a reliable compass, charts, an inexpensive GPS, a simple autopilot,and probably AIS. Most of the rest of the recommended goodies are nice and make life a little easier (you dont have to think as much), but when things go wrong electrically, they dont help, and you have to go back to basic seamanship. GO SAILING! and you will learn a lot more about what you personally feel that you need. Just my 2 cents worth. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 09:53   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceinOz View Post
Hi All. Sitting on my Cavalier32 in my pen, a nice sunny afternoon, thinking just what the heck is left to replace. I don't thnk there is anything much left original, except the hull.
How many of you have had a boat that sailed well, but is 30+ years old, so you start redoing a few of the systems inboard? Since then I have rerigged, new main and boom, new prop, shaft, seals, new autopilot, rebuilt engine and gearbox, new plumbing, new solar panel, rewired, new through hulls, and am now considering a wind vane.
I'm so glad I consciously chose not to speadsheet this
This boat was to be my introduction to keel sailing, one to upgrade from. It's obviously morphed into a keeper
Oh well, maybe I'll have a quick look at my chain plates again
Cheers everyone
Ha! Sooooo true! For me that's time to sell when there's nothing left to do! I'm the guy people love to buy from... arghhh

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 12:02   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

When you are out of money or out of time or you're tired of the hull.

If I won the lottery I'd upgrade my boat until the money was all gone.
Old 21-03-2014, 12:04   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I just checked out your boat on sailboatdata. Very nice!

« Speed | Nauticat 39 »