Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2010, 20:53   #16

If you like the Orion, have you considered the Shannon 28? Great build quality and owners appear "daftly in love".

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 21:26   #17
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
The Shannon 28 is a wonderful boat, certainly worth considering on my "small" list. Unfortunately, none in my area. However, for same price I can get a 36 ft Islander that has been "daftly loved" and then - just like the ORION and the SHANNON - rip the owner "love" customization out of it and turn it into a real sailer.

If I had to wait to find a bristol condition "daftly loved" boat within walking distance, I'd never be able to go sailing. It's idealistic, and although comes up once in a while, not enough to warrant a stop at making an effort to find something I can work on to get to my spec.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 05:48   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfer69 View Post
Thank you all for your answers. Depending on price I have thought of going up to a 30 or 31. Knowing how dockage, slip fees are based on boat length, I am trying to keep her small.
Yes, but, those extra 3 or 4 feet don't just equal length but width and height as well so the internal volume is much bigger to avoid that penned in feeling. After all this is going to be your home for a couple of years for both of you. A decent sized heads and berths are going to be important. Just as the addition of a full cockpit enclosure, which creates you an extra free room in inclement weather when harbour bound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfer69 View Post
I can decidedly remember dollar signs in marina employees eyes when the 42 pulled in. I plan on a small boat, tacky teak, and some holey jeans this time. As I have gotten older, I have understood that everything is negotiable.
Sure and the same happens here this side of the pond too. Also you need to see the expression on the harbour masters face at 5pm when a 45ft yacht turns up at the height of summer looking for a berth for the night. Conversely at 31ft we never have a problem getting in somewhere. It's a fine balance but those extra few feet may make life a little more comfortable for two of you.

Finally, I watched Euro news for a change over the weekend. All gloom and despondency as all the European governments start to heavily slash public spending after 2 years of printing money. Last month Greece was in trouble, today's papers suggest Spain needs to be bailed out by the European Bank. Ireland cut public workers salaries by 10% across the board. The upshot is public money is drying up rapidly and Gov debt has to be repaid. So less money washing around for luxuries like boats. Not sure about the US but its probably just as grim, a cash buyer this Autumn or winter could get a cracking deal.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 07:41   #19
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Pete7 makes some interesting points I forgot to mention.

1) Boat buying in fall and early winter in teh NE is a better season

2) Question: Will the fall of the Euro make buying a boat there an option? Theoretically, you could buy one there and not do a transi. I believe the VAT rules are that you must leave the UK on purchase to avoid and not return until you check in someplace else. Not sure.

As for boats, may want to consider a motorsailer/PH with inside steering instead of the shannon or PSC. Nauticat or something? More room, drier, warmer for euro.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote