Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 19:06   #1

Boat: Tom Colvin Doxy 41
Question Aries 32' performance? compare?

Hello,
I am interested in an Aries 32', for long distance sailing and also family cruising with.
Does anyone have good experience sailing them? Maybe some insight into their performance? I don't want passages that'll take days longer than another boat I could have picked out.
How would they compare to other boats their size? Like a Westerly 32' for instance?

Thanks for the help.
kristjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 21:33   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Aries 32' performance? compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristjan View Post
Hello,
I am interested in an Aries 32', for long distance sailing and also family cruising with.
Does anyone have good experience sailing them? Maybe some insight into their performance? I don't want passages that'll take days longer than another boat I could have picked out.
How would they compare to other boats their size? Like a Westerly 32' for instance?

Thanks for the help.
Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF Kristjan!

I will send you a Private Message with some of my Favorite Tips about CF.

Here is a long list of previous discussions about the Aries 32 boats. You will find many opinions and comments in the linked threads. Have fun reading about them and I hope you enjoy your time on CF too.

ARIES 32
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...032&gsc.page=1
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 00:47   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

In addition to Steady's comments, it's always worth doing a general online search on perspective candidate boat designs. Including one looking for reviews on the design, & another searching for problems common to them.

A few other good tools are to look up a boat's racing rating in order to get an idea of her speed as compared to other boats. For example, her PHRF rating. Which compares her speed vs. other boats in seconds per mile on an "average" race course covering all points of sail. Such as are found here PHRF New England - Handicapping - Base Handicaps

Plus, given her design, you may want to check on www.bluewaterboats.org And while in this case that design isn't there, it's still a great resource site. To include the fact that it gives your other suggestions for similar boats to check out.

Also, go to www.Mahina.com as they help match people with boats, professionally. And have a posted list of boats which make good cruisers.
The Atom Voyages is another site to visit for tips on small cruising designs.

And there are others. I put together a DIY boatbuying self-education "Sticky", & while it's unpolished, & not fully finished, there's loads of good info in it, which you can find here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2206710

Good luck!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:09   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I read on Sail.net a post written by an owner of one of those boats, that the Aries 32 and the Southern Cross 31 and a Roughwater 33 are the SAME hull, but marketed (built) under different names. This was not uncommon for boats built in Taiwan/Hong Kong/China.

So, if you look up Southern Cross 31, you may get some ideas too.

Also, be aware that some may have been built with variations of quality, layout, cabin top or deck materials..

And, as I recall, I recently posted an example of a Southern Cross 31 I saw listed at very low price but looked good. I recall putting thta in the "Boats Less than $30K" thread. Not long ago.

Good luck.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 18:23   #5

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I don't know much about the Aries 32, but it's PHRF is 240ish compared to 165 for for the westerly 32 you mention. So, yes the Aries could take days longer to complete a long passage. For me a 200+ PHRF would be a show stopper, but others are more about stout than speed. I'm guessing, by the nature of your question, that your more like me... for full disclosure, I bought an old blue water IOR race boat that has a stout design, but is fast (1975 Tartan 41 PHRF 99) and have converted her for cruising. I have a racing background and enjoy the performance side of sailing.
best of luck.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:57   #6

Boat: Tom Colvin Doxy 41

I'm not sure how I wrote westerly, I meant westsail!
kristjan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries