Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2011, 17:13   #16

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built
Re: Are we crazy? (please be brutally honest)

go....just GO!
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 17:21   #17
TEE

I don't think you are crazy. A crazy person wouldn't even know to ask. I can't really conceive of any boat in the price range you describe being available and seaworthy. If you haven't really had any experience sailing, I would not recommend taking an underbudget, questionably seaworthy boat out into the open ocean with you not knowing how to do major repairs. If you want to spend some time in the carribean, and that is the price for the boat you are looking at, I might recommend you either rent a boat or find somebody with experience to do some sailing with and the boat you use already be down there. I might suggest you consider some coastal sailing in the BVI rather than an ocean passage to start.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 17:24   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Sorry, totally unrealistic. Follow CF, do a bit of reading.
Old 14-12-2011, 17:26   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

One thing that would probably at least be worth looking in to might be getting a boat that could be put immediately into charter and then taken out for the time you want to cruise and put back in. This would increase your costs clearly up front, but would give you a place for the boat when done cruising and should give income to pay for it.

May not be doable with what you are intending, but it might at least be worth entertaining. The major advantage is that if you could find something that works it would give you an easier way to go back, which I'm sure you'll want to do. It also may make insurance and other things easier plus you'd know you are dealing with a boat that is seaworthy.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 17:29   #20

Boat: hunter 376

The simple fact that you can dinghy sail is already a step towards your dream. At least you understand the basic points-of-sail, and handling the tiller, sheets, ect.
I would FORGET buying and sailing the boat in Florida, buy in the Carribean, but stipulate the seller is to give you both some on the water instruction in handling your new boat. Thats the key.
Its a way to get, essentially, some free sailing lessons. Buy a cruising guide for the area you want to explore, plan each leg carefully, day sail for a couple days, practice docking, anchoring, and man overboard, then you will "cruise and learn."
Good luck.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 17:34   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
One thing that would probably at least be worth looking in to might be getting a boat that could be put immediately into charter and then taken out for the time you want to cruise and put back in. This would increase your costs clearly up front, but would give you a place for the boat when done cruising and should give income to pay for it.

Their budget is 6K!! Have you checked what it costs to put a boat into charter?
Old 14-12-2011, 17:38   #22

Yeah, it would require spending more. It all depends on where their monthly budget comes from. But it could be done for probably about $12,000 if a used boat could be found that a charter company would take. I know horizon had a couple boats listed that would probably foot the bill if they'd keep it in charter.
Old 14-12-2011, 17:57   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
Yeah, it would require spending more. It all depends on where their monthly budget comes from. But it could be done for probably about $12,000 if a used boat could be found that a charter company would take. I know horizon had a couple boats listed that would probably foot the bill if they'd keep it in charter.
No charter company would take a $12000 boat. Would you charter a $12000 boat? How much a week would that go for?
Old 14-12-2011, 17:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
No charter company would take a $12000 boat. Would you charter a $12000 boat? How much a week would that go for?
I'm not suggesting a $12k boat. I'm suggesting that might be the down payment for it. Clearly with their budget they couldn't afford to buy it outright, but they might be able to buy one and cover the costs through charter.

Probably not what they are looking for, but it is one option that's probably at least worth looking at.
Old 14-12-2011, 18:07   #25

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

you can get away with a lot less boat going from Fla. to the Bahamas than to the Caribbean.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 18:20   #26

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to BojanglesIV

You're crazy, but that's no reason not to do it.

Learn as much as you can about safety, read as much as you can (start with Calder's Cruising Handbook, then his Mechanical and Electrical Guide - both are on Amazon), and then buy a boat and move on board. Start with baby steps and then as you get more comfortable, go further afield.

I can see the attraction of buying a boat in Fl but if you buy a boat that's already in the Caribbean, you won't need to worry about getting it there and most of the 'passages' are really just daysails.

Look in St Thomas for a cheap boat. St Martin might also work.

Good luck.
BojanglesIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 18:28   #27

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

With your budget I would lean towards the suggestion of getting aboard with someone looking for crew. You are risking your modest nest egg before knowing anything about the adventure. Check this forum's crewing section. I do often and always see a few opportunities that I would love to jump on. If only I were retired. In fact when I do retire next year I may put my much more substantial boat kitty on ice and do the same myself. I have done this twice with my wife and it was so fun and has worked out very well. We are a different age group tho, being 59, and we do have a bit of cruising and sailing experience, (but very little off shore). Some may find a fairly experienced mature couple like us a more attractive prospect, some may find an enthusiastic 20 something, (I assume that is you), couple more attractive. Depends, but I am sure you will find something. You may want to look for an island hopper, vs long passage, because if you get a Capt Ahab you can always jump ship at the next port, (caveat; visa issues).

Get on that crew page and start making some emails and calls. Go for it.

I might add that when you do get on someones boat and get a little experience start networking with all you run into and walk the docks and boat yards looking. You just might find a fantastic deal for your own boat and you will be more seasoned as well. If you have the time or inclination you ought to explore possibilities with your grandparents. They may be looking for an excuse to get back on the water, bond with the grand kids and rekindle the adventure they once had. They may have access to a boat to teach you daysailing or better yet cruising or they may spring for a charter fee for same. As a grandpa myself it would be a no brainer to rent a boat for a week or two if my grand kids wanted to come along. Actually come to think of it I kinda did do that with my three nephews and their wives 4 years ago. Although, being DINKS, they did share the charter fee. Their youthful energy was a blast. They partied and my wife and I, ahem, stood "anchor watch" till they came back from the bars. Now that you are dredging up old memories, our honeymoon was wilderness boat camping in British Columbia's Desolation Sound when it was still relatively desolate. 2 weeks on a 10 year old 17' outboard. We mostly lived off the land/sea, Robinson Carusoe style, what a gas!

So get out there.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 18:42   #28

What part of the Caribbean is the other question? And what time of the year matters too. Just the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos might be a little easier, but remember the entrance fees.

Download The Thinking Man's Guide To Voyages South here:
http://www.freecruisingguide.com/

Nothing is impossible, but be smart about it.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 18:47   #29

Wow this is great. I should have posted this sooner because its really starting to give me better focus on the realistic possibilities.

We are more like 30 somethings ejlindahl but will try to stay 20 years old at heart for as long as we can. Your honeymoon sounds like a dream. Thanks again!!!
rookiemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 18:47   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

come to NC and buy my Pearson 33 and when you get to Fla you will know if you are ready for the tropics..its a good boat at a good price...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote