Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 16:57   #16

Boat: Ensenada 20
I shared your surprise at the turnaround.

Apparently they decided that Lost Soul was too big and expensive to maintain; and apparently someone made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

All that though is a little inconsistent with the fact that they're having a brand new custom "built from scratch" Shannon 52 built. It's not much smaller than Lost Soul, and it will have every "bell & whistle" and will be just as expensive to maintain.

BUT, it will be a motorsailer, and also very automated. Sounds like the engine will be along the lines of the Lagoon 420 hybrid (diesel generator with electric engine -- I think that's right).

The issue before last talked about choosing a motorsailer and the builder. The most recent issue gives more detail and shows pics of the beginning consruction of the hull -- it's pretty interesting.

I'm guessing he's getting great discounts because of all the built in advertising for the vendors/manufacturers etc. etc.

I get the actual magazine, but they also offer it for free online, so if you can't find a copy, you might check it out online.
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 21:32   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
I'm guessing he's getting great discounts because of all the built in advertising for the vendors/manufacturers etc. etc.
Yes I guessed that as well. That is some mighty fine advertising for the vendors etc and it must be some great deals for Bob.

I also get the mag. We just tend to be a month behind.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 17:30   #18

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
I realize this is an older thread, but I was wondering where the Gulfstar 45 Motorsailer fits into the mix. Is it more a sail boat or more a motor boat?
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 01:33   #19

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Yea, very informative thread, I had always defined a motorsailer, to myself I guess as a boat that couldn't sail as well as it motored, or I guess could only reach hull speed while under motor. There's one here that I would classify as a motorsailor for example because it has very limited sail area, limited ballast and 150 hp motor, it also has enclosed pilot house.

I can sail as fast as I can motor, so I never really considered our boat a motorsailor.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 06:43   #20

Boat: Privilege 37
I believe that when the term was first coined that it was a relevant description of a type of boat.

In those days there were no pilothouses, and most engines on sailing boats were low powered and unreliable. A new breed of boat was designed for the needs of people no longer able to manage the large sails and unreliable engines , and was designed for a bigger more reliable engine, plus sails for downwind and broad reach sailing.

Today the differences are very much blurred and it is difficult to draw a line between the two types of vessels.

I also agree with an earlier post, that a modern catamaran has a lot of the attributes of the motor sailer, plus a lot more comfort, and better sailing capability.
Old 16-07-2008, 16:25   #21

Another element of the motorsailer...

...is fuel storage. One might uncharitably point out that any boat which has storage for more days motoring than it has days of fully-complemented water storage is a motor sailer.

A well-known US publisher who eventually died at sea was of the opinion that all large modern sailboats are motorsailers; they can not manage without their motors to supply electricity or propulsion when the windspeed drops to their theoretical hull speed or less.

Herreshoff considered Big Ti to be a motorsailer, which goes to show that jargon drifts over time. Where once a motorsailer was any sailboat whose motor was run, say, 10-20% of the time, now it may be more often to say it's a boat which performs well either under sail or under motor, or one whose motor is sized equivalently with a similar-sized commercial motor boat.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 08:56   #22

Boat: 32 foot Gulf Pilothouse-spirit of arnaldo
Wink hi==motorsailor

best get a heavy cruising boats with big tanks, that's a motor sailer that will be safe. a lot of what are called motor sailers have too much freeboard and have terrible up wind performance under sail.

what did you end up getting? the catamaran was a good idea. I'd say something like a cal 2-46.

jim
jnfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 01:39   #23

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
these Fisher Owners Association are motor sailers
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 23:17   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to watson1990
gotta wonder

I am a 'wonderin' here ,,,Bob Bitchin... I have to wonder a bit.
On the one hand he is a sailor,,,on the other ,he has a magazine he has to hype and sell.
and so I take everyting he has in his mag with a grain of salt...I am not calling him a liar or someone who exagerates,,,but i think that at least one of those would fit...perhaps a bit of both mixed up in between...
would i like to go sailing,spend a few hours each week writing stuff ,,and then go back to sailing? Sure
I am working on almost the same thing right now ,,,,'cept that i will go sailing and not be trying to sell something ,,just pay my own way...more power to him if he can keep the facade up I hate to insult some one I have never met and do not "really " know ,but the word whore does come to mind .I say that because it seems to me that he is using us to pay for his fun......
Before you critisize me, please understand. I don't mean to be too harsh on him ,but ...
Would i do what he is doing ,if i had the chance? ...you betcha !!! just seems that the quality of the Mag is pretty poor. Your mileage may vary
W
watson1990 is offline   Reply With Quote