Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 12:30   #31

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Are Island Packets Really That Slow?

We have two IP's in our club in Toronto. They were both bought by folks intending to go south. One has already gone. They are fine boats but not the best for sailing on the Great Lakes. I think a lighter boat, more suited to the winds we get would be a better choice. I have buddy boated with an IP40 down south. It is surprisingly fast on all points of sail but it needs wind. 25 knots on a reach and it's a delight to watch.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:43   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

comfort trumps speed.
ips have comfort.
ips are great cruisers.
many boats are dissed for performance, and those that are dissed are so for the rumors of slowness and lack of ability to sail into wind--nothing goes to weather--only jet planes. sailboats do not sail into wind. so, the argument is moot.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:58   #33

Boat: IP 31' sloop

If you are interested in cruising, the IP is the way to go. I was in a 26 knot blow before reefing, reached speeds of 9 knots. Awesome comfort and room below decks.
Old 05-01-2013, 13:19   #34

Boat: Custom 48 sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to jezxza

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
IP's are more for show then go. But if your just sailing a lake your not going that far in a straight line anyway. They are perdy inside and comfy but it all depends on what you want out of a boat.
Which model are you looking at? They have different keels to select.
Could someone please explain the "perdy inside" comment? My dictionary says that 'perdy' means 'truly', but that hasn't helped me. Thanks.
Jez
Old 05-01-2013, 13:28   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efraim View Post
Sailing on the Great Lakes requires a light boat, there are just too many summer days where the wind just isn't there. If you do go with an IP get more sail area - you'll need it. One thing the IP does have going for it, is it's relatively shallow draft, the lakes have been quite low the last few years.

Best advice of all is rent one. Go to the North Channel (Little Current) and spend a week cruising one. Otherwise, cozy up to an owner and gow sailing with them.

Our boat is 58 feet; 55,000 disp; 3/4 full keel; 16 beam; ketch. We make 9 close reaching in 9 true. I was prepared for our performance to be cruiser-horrible when we bought the boat but the beast really moves. We flew into Milwaukee in October under jib alone making 11.4. We suffer in really light air <5 but I learned years ago racing a heavy IOR boat that having a few really monster light air sails changed things a lot. I have a 200% AS kite and a mizzen staysail. Add a solent rig and a 180% at about 1.5 ounce.

My dock mate has an IP 41. It sails impressively well and, due to layout, has nearly as much space as our older, clasic Camper & Nicholson. We sailed together 3.5 weeks in the North Channel last summer and I thought it did quite well under sail. His has a large #1 and the self-tacking cutter jib and in-mast furling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7100050.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	425.7 KB
ID:	52243   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2256.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	52244  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 14:09   #36

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I don't have a lot of side-by-side comparisons, but one day I came out of the Cape Cod canal with an IP40 and we headed for P-town. It was blowing about 5-7 knots with flat seas, and the course was a one-tack beat for me.

The IP was headed 10 degrees lower and probably 2 knots slower than my 5.5 knots at 32 degrees apparent. It took less than an hour for him to disappear behind on a clear day.

I remember going on an IP in a boatshow when they were first introduced. The thing that impressed me was that the owner's stateroom was in the bow. I decided right then that it was designed as a marina queen and wasn't the boat for me.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 14:19   #37

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Charter one. I used to charter IP's all the time. Great motion in a seaway. As for speed, I once kept a IP 40 at 11 knots all day.
My BS meter just pegged again. The only way an IP 40 will average 11 knots is on a Dockwise transporter.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 14:24   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezxza View Post
Could someone please explain the "perdy inside" comment? My dictionary says that 'perdy' means 'truly', but that hasn't helped me. Thanks.
Jez
I think that it means "pretty" it's a US dialect thing that does not relate to Ozzie speak.

Coops.
Old 05-01-2013, 17:06   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I don't have a lot of side-by-side comparisons, but one day I came out of the Cape Cod canal with an IP40 and we headed for P-town. It was blowing about 5-7 knots with flat seas, and the course was a one-tack beat for me.

The IP was headed 10 degrees lower and probably 2 knots slower than my 5.5 knots at 32 degrees apparent. It took less than an hour for him to disappear behind on a clear day.

I remember going on an IP in a boatshow when they were first introduced. The thing that impressed me was that the owner's stateroom was in the bow. I decided right then that it was designed as a marina queen and wasn't the boat for me.
IP 40 owners stateroom is not in the bow
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 17:53   #40
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Quote:

Were you in your grand banks when you were racing the ip lol. If you consider the design of an ip as a dock queen I'm not thinking too highly of your judgement.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:45   #41

Boat: PT-11
Older IPs did have master staterooms forward but they have great seaberths. Large aft masters are a relatively new development anyway. If someone thinks a good sea boat must have one, they don't know what they are talking about.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 19:21   #42

Quote:

When one makes comparisons, especially puffery as in 5.5kts in 5kts of wind at 32degress, tell us what boat you were sailing how it was configured. Please then describe the IP and it's configuration. Such comparisons are baseless unless both skippers are knowingly engaged in some competition. Have you any idea of the water and fuel capacity of an IP 40? How about the drag coefficient of the inflatable dinghy he was carrying on his stern and you were not. Not to mention a hundred other variables like morning tea and biscuits. Talk about a BS meter.Yours must be broken. Criticism should be taken in good spirit and fellowship.
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 20:08   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
My BS meter just pegged again. The only way an IP 40 will average 11 knots is on a Dockwise transporter.
Don you can call me what you want. I was down in Thousand Island area when hurricane Erin decided to come down Cuba. We left Panther Key down around the shoals, up the coast to Fort Myers anchorage with a talewind and off the starboard at 35 + knots. There was a low farther up the coast of Florida and it was sucking winds from before the hurricane on up the coast. My GPS and knotmeter read over 11 knots for extended periods of time. We left at about 0930, we were at Fort Myers in the early evening- seems like about 1800. Now I look at the distance, and it seems to be about 80 miles. Could you tell me how I got there in a little over 8 hours, and that includes navigating the river and the shoals below Marco Island?

Don't call it BS unless you were there. I know what the books say. But I also know what happened. And I had 8 very scared people on the boat that can confirm that is what happened. I am so sorry that real life doesn't confirm what you book review on the boat said. It surfed. I saw it down the waves, and I saw the speed. I wasn't going to slow it down because I wanted to get to a safe harbor and off the boat before Erin came.
As it turned out, Erin turned and went to the Bahamas, killing a number of people. I got the boat back without any damage and everyone was relieved to step on terra firma.

If your going to call me a liar- great, just have the facts to back it up. I have the facts to back up what happened, even if they don't quite agree with the displacement numbers.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 20:57   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

We never, or very nearly anyway, see Island Packets over here in Aus. Which is a shame, because i totally love the look of them and they do seem to be well built from what i have read. I do not care if they are slightly slower than something else, or don't point as high, i just adore the lines of them. I would have any of them in a heartbeat, because i want a boat that i can row/walk away from and when i return or look back it brings a little grin inside my head to know that this fine looking vessel is mine.

I can put up with it's little quirks, and it's compromises that I have to make to sail and own her, but i can never ever buy a sailing boat that i do not like the look of, no matter how much better it sails or how much bigger the beds are.

Coops.
Old 05-01-2013, 21:42   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I sailed one on Lake Texoma a few times. It sure didn't feel slow to me. And has been mentioned it had an easy powerful motion.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote